Gransnet forums

Books/book club

April Book- Almost English

(121 Posts)
gma Fri 04-Apr-14 10:06:44

Many many thanks for my copy of Almost English which has just appeared on my door mat! I am looking forward to reading it, but must finish Burial Rites first-what a great story!!!
Thanks again gransnet. smile

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:43:10

cheshiregran

I wondered what reaction the Jewish community (partcularly the reform community) had to When We Were Bad? I loved it by the way

Thank you! Well, amusingly the ONLY bad review I had for WWWB was in the Jewish Chronicle, where they got a rabbi to go through the book deciding which bits they believed in...But luckily it's generally had a very good reaction from Jews/Catholics/Anglicans, so I can ignore that review...

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:45:11

locococo

Am I allowed to ask a question about another of your books (I loved this one if it helps!) When We Were Bad... Whenever I read books I form pictures of characters in my mind and when I pictured Claudia Rubin I could only see a fatter version of Julia Neuberger (not, I hasten to add, that I think there are actual similarities between them in real life). Does this horrify you?!

Of course you can, and so glad you liked AE...well, you're not alone in making the Julia Neuberger connection, which I think is because she's the only rabbi, let alone woman rabbi, most people have heard of. But you're quite right, they're actually nothing like each other. Visually, to be honest, they aren't similar either, but of course I do see why you thought that. Interesting to hear!

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:46:44

clafoutis

Just seen you have answered a bit of mine above but I will follow it up with an additional how old are your children and what do you do for an office job?

My children are just entering teenagehood (yes, I know)...and I'm an editor for a publishing house. So, yes, my entire life is spent either reading or writing fiction. Probably not healthy...

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Apr-14 13:46:51

CharlotteMendelson

CariGransnet

CharlotteMendelson

aybee

Thank you for my copy of the book which I really liked. I found it very easy to visusalise both the characters and the action - do you think it would make a good film? Are there plans for any of your books to appear on screen large or small?

Thanks Aybee - yes, there's been some interest; When We Were Bad is a bit further along that path though. I'd love it to happen, of course, but am not holding my breath...

Oooooh <keeps fingers firmly crossed>

Thank you! Hope you can still turn pages...

No - but that's why kindles were invented...

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:48:10

sallyc06

What a fab book, best book I read in a long time. Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

Lovely to hear Sallyc06, thank you. You might enjoy its predecessor, When We Were Bad, too. Hope so!

clafoutis Wed 30-Apr-14 13:48:27

"my entire life is spent either reading or writing fiction. Probably not healthy..."

Maybe not but still a very good way to spend your life!

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:50:14

happytraveller

Hi Charlotte

Did you start with a character/characters and then build the story round that or did you inject characters into a story line/plot that you had already thought of?

Hello! Well really I started with a background, that world of Hungarian emigrees in England, and then had to work out convincing characters to people that world. And THEN the story started emerging. Hope that makes sense...

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:50:51

clafoutis

"my entire life is spent either reading or writing fiction. Probably not healthy..."

Maybe not but still a very good way to spend your life!

Good point...for someone who passionately loves books, I'm clearly very lucky.

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:53:47

locococo

Am I allowed to ask a question about another of your books (I loved this one if it helps!) When We Were Bad... Whenever I read books I form pictures of characters in my mind and when I pictured Claudia Rubin I could only see a fatter version of Julia Neuberger (not, I hasten to add, that I think there are actual similarities between them in real life). Does this horrify you?!

clafoutis

Thank you. I suppose I wondered whether you came from a family anything like the ones you write about, whether you have a family of your own, and what you do when you are not writing. That is three questions is that allowed? smile

I've answered them all already to some extent I think except the last...because I think the answer, shamefully, is that when I'm not writing I'm reading. Now you can ask another question!

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:56:04

mags62

I am another one who loved it - in fact I have just ordered another of your books from Amazon.

I suppose my thought was that the women in the book had rather a hard time of life and the men got away with murder (ain't that the truth) so I would be interested to know whether this is something you had consciously set out to portray and whether it in any way reflects your own views

hello Mags, and great to hear - thank you so much. Yes, that's right! I did want to describe a)how difficult it is for women without financial independence and b)how vulnerable girls can be to the sexual, er, expectations of boys/men if they've been quite protected. And yes, I think life IS difficult, generally, for an awful lot of women. Don't you?

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 13:58:59

katesheilaskate

Can't believe some of the negative comments about this book! I absolutely loved it. The food in it was great: I hate not knowing what people in books are eating and, indeed, wearing. I also loved the 1980s feel - Charlotte got it just right. Are you going to follow it through with a sequel? I would love to know what happens to everyone

Thank you! And what a wise woman you are. I agree re: food and clothes; it's fascinating, always. Glad you think the 80sness is right too.
I'm afraid I don't intend to write a sequel, although I was approached by a television company who were flirting with turning it into a series...imagine. I'd love to know what you think happens to them all...

CharlotteMendelson Wed 30-Apr-14 14:00:43

marcella

I really enjoyed the book. I noticed that it is dedicated to your grandparents and would like to know more about that

Yes, well spotted, and thank you so much. It was inspired by them - their world, chiefly, and the people they knew. Someone said they thought my grandmother would have been proud of it, which I hope is true...personally I think she'd have said both VONdareful and TAIRible.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 30-Apr-14 14:01:02

A big thank you to Charlotte - and very much looking forward to reading book 5

nonnanna Thu 01-May-14 07:22:18

'Almost English' is excellent. I was fortunate enough to be able to devote enough time to it to be able to read it in two sittings. Bliss! It portrays the confusion and angst felt by some teenagers, their parents and other family members with different values. Particularly highlighted here by the differences between Hungarian and English cultures. As a teenager it is so easy to be uncomfortable with your background, your environment, your parents and coming to terms with your own developing adult character. Some parts made me squirm to read them because I remember having similar feelings or experiences as a parent and a teen. Not...I hasten to add the one at the end of the book! (Won't say what it is as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet) I would like to ask Charlotte how much of the book is based on her own experiences or those of someone she knows very well. I'd also like to say thank you to Charlotte and to Gransnet for 'Almost English'. I shall be looking out for more of Charlotte's books in the future.

goose1964 Thu 01-May-14 15:32:56

only stared reading this the other day - I'm finding Laura incredibly annoying , and can see myself as a teenager is Marina. I love the hungarianess of the lifestyle. Can wait to see how it all pans out

winifred01 Thu 01-May-14 16:12:30

Thank you so much for the book-I am sorry to say I did not read it to the end, found it really hard going, like some other readers was irritated by the two main characters.
Sorry!
I will pass it on to friends, perhaps they will enjoy it- I hope so.

Andrews Sat 17-May-14 08:27:10

Many thanks for my copy of 'Almost English'. I have to say that I started it, couldn't quite 'get into it', put it down, and picked it up again. To be honest, I did not find it an easy book to read. The characters are extremely well described, though not particularly likeable. The relationships were complex and interwoven. It was interesting how Laura and Marina were drifting apart, and at times, I wanted to offer Laura some sage advice, (or a jolly good talking to) as she seemed to have no-one to talk to. I particularly liked the Hungarian elders in the book - they came across very well, and I loved the way they spoke - Von-derfool!
This is a book I will return to and read again.

edwarv29 Mon 19-May-14 18:19:29

I have just finished this book and I surprisingly enjoyed it although I found Marina a very naive 16/17 year old but who could blame her living in household like that.! I really did enjoy the characters and even found myself cursing Mr Viney near the end!
Thanks alot for my copy of the book.

janeainsworth Tue 03-Jun-14 10:36:01

I'm afraid anything written in the present historic tense puts me off for a start sad

mazgoli Fri 03-Oct-14 14:52:15

Thank you for my copy of Almost English. I enjoyed the book, particularly the elderly Hungarian relatives, but I felt that it ended rather abruptly.
I liked Laura and Marina but would have liked Mr Viney to get into some sort of trouble for what he did. Also, Laura's situation at the end of the book, is the author planning a sequel? If so, I would definitely read it.