Gransnet forums

Books/book club

May book - The Wives of Los Alamos

(105 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-May-14 10:38:36

This month's book pick is The Wives of Los Alamos...

Told in the collective voices of the wives of the men who created the atom bomb, this is the bold and emotionally charged story of the women of Los Alamos.

Their average age was twenty-five. They came from Berkeley, Cambridge, Paris, London and Chicago - and arrived in New Mexico ready for adventure. But hope quickly turned to hardship in the desolate military town where everything was a secret; including what their husbands were doing at the lab.

If you received one of our free copies don't forget to leave your comments and questions below! We'll be sending questions off to TaraShea towards the end of May.

philatel Thu 26-Jun-14 22:28:45

Sorry my comment is late - really enjoyed the book - unusual style but easy to read and content very interesting and informative.

jt75 Tue 14-Oct-14 11:41:15

Thank you for my copy. I liked the use of the collective "we" as it gave an element of detachment which echoed the isolation of the wives' situation yet emphasised the togetherness of this small community.

TheMillersTale Tue 14-Oct-14 13:15:43

I was sent this by the publishers a while back and it is wonderful- especially the multiple voices. I won't spoil it for others.

It is being filmed as a mini series with Olivia Colman in a lead role.

TheMillersTale Tue 14-Oct-14 13:19:29

I can recommend Nuclear Family Vacation for anybody whose interest in this whole subject has been whetted.

Have you read this TaraSheaNesbit?

I would like to see another book that focused more on the perspective of the female nuclear scientists on the programme- their job was an interesting clash of cultural norms as per the role of women back in the day.