Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Summer reads 2014

(69 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 21-May-14 14:22:14

All this sunshine has got to our heads here in HQ, and we're keen to kick off summer <adjusts sunglasses and stirs cocktail> Following on from last year's best summer reads page, we'd like to make another with books recommended by gransnetters.

Autobiographies, chick-lits, thrillers - whatever your favourite read has been this year, we'd love to know smile

Grandmanorm Wed 21-May-14 20:30:54

Jodi Piccoult (can't remember the correct spelling and I have given the book to a friend) and The Story Teller.
It is one of the books that I stayed up until the small hours to finish. It is sad, no doubt of that, but a superb read. Well I liked it.

janerowena Thu 22-May-14 09:37:46

Definitely Maps for Lost Lovers, by Nadeem Aslam. I read it last year and still can't get it out of my mind. It's beautifully written, the descriptions are - well, you are there. One of the best-written books I have ever read, and my book club, who all read it last month, all loved it. It's not an easy read, it is very thought-provoking.

suebailey1 Thu 22-May-14 12:06:05

Clever Girl by Tessa Hadley is similar to an education but darker - engrossing.

rosesarered Thu 22-May-14 12:26:13

The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher. She was a brilliant writer and this is my favourite of her books.Set about 1980 but goes backwards and forwards in time to tell the family story, in London, Cornwall and The Cotswolds. She has the rare ability to bring characters to life in a really well rounded and totally believable way, rather as Kate Atkinson does.I think this would be a wonderful Summer read, if you haven't already read it [and if you have, then read it again maybe.]

Gagagran Thu 22-May-14 13:00:44

Life after Life by Kate Atkinson was my Book Club's read last month and once I got used to the switching from era to era and just went with it I really enjoyed it. It's a bit like the film Sliding Doors showing how different choices would have resulted in different lives. I also like it because I am a fast reader and it is a very long book - plenty to read.

whenim64 Thu 22-May-14 13:09:01

I do enjoy The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden. I haven't got a newly published summer read yet, but like the look of Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart.

Maniac Thu 22-May-14 13:18:10

I enjoyed Wendy Perriam's books but haven't heard of her recently.
My favourite writer is Barbara Kingsolver.

joannapiano Thu 22-May-14 13:20:14

I had read Kate Atkinson's earlier books and particularly enjoyed Behind The Scenes At The Museum.Her latest novel Life After Life is the best book I have read all year. It is one that I will read over and over.

annodomini Thu 22-May-14 13:42:38

Barbara KIngsolver is a big favourite in our book group. A couple of months ago the choice was Flight Behaviour which gave us great scope for discussion as well as unexpected information about the migratory habits of monarch butterflies. Ultimately a very satisfying read.

annodomini Thu 22-May-14 13:44:01

Meant to add that I have Prodigal Summer by BK ready to be devoured on my annual trip to France.

Ana Thu 22-May-14 20:39:58

Just ordered your recommendation, suebailey1 - sounds just up my street!

Rosannie Thu 22-May-14 20:49:18

The Light Between Oceans by M.L.Stedman was a great read , everyone in my book group read it although it wasn't one of our official reads. It generated a lot of fascinating discussion about a heart wrenching dilemma.

DonnaBe Thu 22-May-14 21:24:33

I just finished Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic. Loved it! But I've lost bed all her books. Nothing like the film version.
I started The Goldfinch last night.

DonnaBe Thu 22-May-14 21:27:58

Oh dear. My tablet is correcting what I write. That should have read "I've loved all her books" instead of "I've lost bed all her books" which makes no sense.

Kate13 Thu 22-May-14 21:50:02

Simon Mawer "The girl who fell out of the sky".
Brilliant writer. He also wrote "The Glass Room".
Such a good read.

annodomini Thu 22-May-14 22:11:48

Our book group choice, to be discussed next week is Jojo Moyse's The Girl You Left Behind, set in France during WW1. It's a good read with an interesting plot against a background of conflict.

Redpaws Wed 28-May-14 13:33:20

Philippa Gregory's third book in the Order of Darkness series. It's called "Fool's Gold", can't wait for her next book in this series. Brilliant writer who mixes history with fiction.

Marmight Wed 28-May-14 13:33:40

The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May. Compulsive reading - a few juicy murders alongside a load of historical content - all set in the Western Isles. Strongly recommend.

merlotgran Wed 28-May-14 14:50:00

We went on holiday with DD2 and her family just before Easter. Our thirteen year old grandaughter had her head in 'The Book Thief' all week so I downloaded it on to my kindle because I was keen to discover her reading level - 13 is a difficult age to buy for.

I loved it especially as I saw her again last weekend and we were able to discuss it. She seemed really pleased that I agreed with her views and she said she likes unusual writing styles so I'm sending her The Wives of Los Alamos.

We shall see.......hmm

oznan Wed 28-May-14 15:20:52

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

tracyliz Wed 28-May-14 16:32:39

I have two books that are both totally different but both outstanding, so far this year , IMO
Custard tarts and broken hearts (don't be put off by the title ) by Mary Gibson.
The Night Rainbow by Claire KIng.
Both books left me feeling a bit lost at the end as I was sad to have finished them,they really are worth a read.

annodomini Wed 28-May-14 16:52:18

I enjoy a series of mysteries, set in Alaska, by Dana Stabenow. The plot often takes second (or third) place behind the settings and the characters, as well as the insights into Alaskan culture. They should be read in sequence and the first is 'A Cold Day for Murder'.

Portuna421 Wed 28-May-14 17:06:50

Hello,I am new to Gransnet.Have just finished a book I really loved.'I know this much is true' by Wally Lamb.About the relationship between the narrator and his schizophrenic twin brother.The plot also weaves in the story of the narrator's Sicilian Grandfather.A long book but I found it un-putdownable from the start.

annodomini Wed 28-May-14 17:26:52

Welcome, Portuna421. Great to have your input to this thread. I always welcome new ideas for reading at any time of year. Hope you'll keep on posting.