Gransnet forums

Books/book club

June Book Club - The Gallery of Vanished Husbands

(169 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Jun-14 12:22:36

This month's book pick is The Gallery of Vanished Husbands by Natasha Solomons, the captivating story of the life and loves of a woman who breaks free of her strict Jewish upbringing and joins the world of art and artists in sixties London.

If you received one of our free copies don't forget to leave your comments and questions below for the author. We'll be sending questions off to Natasha at the end of June.

Also - if you have a spare couple of minutes - do take the time to post your review of the book in our Reviews section: www.gransnet.com/reviews/books

gma Sat 14-Jun-14 21:17:18

Just back from holiday and I was chuffed to find a copy of "The Gallery of vanished husbands" waiting for me!! Must just finish No.3 of the Cazelet series and then it is next!! Thank you so much gransnet grin xxx

Oldgreymare Sat 14-Jun-14 21:56:25

Many thanks for the book which arrived today, I had given up on it but couldn't quite remember the title so bought 'The Husband's secret' instead! Now I have two 'husband' books to read. smile

numberplease Sat 14-Jun-14 23:27:55

My copy arrived today, thank you. It was a bit of a surprise, as I`d forgotten that I`d requested it. Will start it when I`ve finished the book I started this morning.

Grannycupcake Sun 15-Jun-14 08:55:24

I received my book and in Granny fashion forgot where it came from. Thank you, I am just getting stuck in and will report later as well. Looks good so far.

Annie29 Sun 15-Jun-14 22:16:12

Thank you for my copy which arrived yesterday. I am holiday next week , will read it then and post a comment.

hummingbird Sun 15-Jun-14 23:38:58

Thank you GN, for my copy! It's so lovely to find a new book waiting!

Kizzie Mon 16-Jun-14 11:57:32

Received my copy on Saturday. Thank you so much, look forward to reading it.

chloe1984 Mon 16-Jun-14 14:42:26

I really enjoyed reading this book even though it is far removed from the type of novel I normally read. Is the picture on page 342 of Rosie Solomons?

morag89 Mon 16-Jun-14 15:24:25

Thanks Gransnet for my copy. It's a lovely romantic book, giving an insight into a strict Jewish upbringing followed by the art scene in the sixties...

Gagagran Mon 16-Jun-14 16:43:59

I loved this book and the insight it gave into Jewish customs. I found Juliet a very well-drawn character who was struggling to please her parents (didn't we all!) and yet live a more modern and free life. I felt very sorry for her.

My question for Natasha is whether she thinks the belief regarding divorce and chained women (aguna) will persist. Is it prevalent? Do the youth of today accept it?

jannora Tue 17-Jun-14 11:06:43

Many thanks for my copy, look forwatd to reading it,

JillMay Tue 17-Jun-14 15:35:43

Thanks for the book which was waiting for me when I returned from holiday. I have already started reading it and it is proving to be a very enjoyable read. You do find some interesting and unusual books for us.

cangran Tue 17-Jun-14 15:47:09

Thanks for my copy too - a lovely surprise! I will start reading it soon, report back when finished, and may suggest it to the book group I belong to (which includes Jewish members).

piggy66 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:01:03

just received mine. really intrigued to read this. my 'to read' list is getting bigger, amongst which is Natasha's Mr Rosenblum's List as well. Thankyou.

whenim64 Tue 17-Jun-14 16:22:15

I started reading mine last night. It's grabbed me already and I'm looking forward to reading further.

magwis Tue 17-Jun-14 16:39:20

Thank you for my copy - final few chapters of current book to finish and then will begin to read. Does the author have experience of being closeted by a community, I wonder, to be able to write about it?

Grannycupcake Tue 17-Jun-14 16:48:35

I would really like to know Natasha Solomons' publishing journey. I have been writing childrens' stories which I am self publishing under a pen name, but I am in the process of researching an adult book staggering three generations and would like to try to find a conventional publisher etc.
Maybe too many people have questions like that, but it would be nice to know how someone successful did it.

Hameringham Tue 17-Jun-14 18:24:33

Many thanks for my copy. I plan to start reading it this weekend. I look forward to posting a question next week.

Lilygran Tue 17-Jun-14 19:31:30

I really enjoyed this book, and the character of Juliet. When I had finished it, I wondered about the title? I see that your other novels have been given different titles in the USA. I felt the emphasis of the book was less on the vanished husbands and more on Juliet's collections in her gallery and her own collection of herself. I thought the idea of a woman, an outsider, looking for herself in how others saw her, quite striking and original.

dewdneyk Tue 17-Jun-14 21:07:53

Thanks. A lovely new book just arrived and I'm looking forward to starting it.

wallers5 Wed 18-Jun-14 06:35:44

Thank you. A lovely pristine copy arrived and I am about to read it & then pass it on to my daughter who lives in Dorset. It certainly sounds captivating.

rosesarered Wed 18-Jun-14 08:56:18

I am enjoying this book so far [half way through it now]. I like the way the chapters are headed by the gallery reference to a painting, good idea that. It's a very descriptive book, evoking moods through weather and colour of sky etc. Juliet herself I find both likeable and annoying[ a bit like real life then.]I think the 60's is caught very well, without being banged over the head with obvious references to things, so,[ deference shown to customers in the opticians, leaving children tucked up in bed while she wanders off to an artist's cottage half a mile away in the wood, clothes and stifling conventions.] Juliet seems oblivious to the effect she has on men, though as a married woman who had fallen madly in love [with George, before she married him] that seems naive. The close knit Jewish family is brought to life beautifully [ I remember those households as I used to have a few Jewish friends.]The children, Leonard in particular, stand out as very rounded characters, in his touching hope of finding his Father and enjoying the mystery as he thinks his Father may be a heroic figure, maybe even a spy.
I found the description of Max's cottage in the woods so 'immediate' that I felt I was there observing it, all the painted friezes and little artistic touches, the dragon fireplace etc. In fact it made me want to start painting things [anything, walls or canvas] and I am not a painter of any kind, so that shows how a well written scene can affect you.smile

Cailin7 Wed 18-Jun-14 14:35:16

Many thanks for my copy of 'The Gallery of Vanished Husbands' which I received this week. Currently in middle of reading 'Deep Blue Sea' Tasmina Perry. Really looking forward to reading 'The Gallery of Vanished Husbands'. I lt looks like a really interesting read and I love the cover. I have not read either of Natasha's other books, I do not know where she finds time to write with a baby and phd work and all!

GrannySue2010 Wed 18-Jun-14 14:41:27

I was surprised but delighted to receive my free copy a few days ago so thank you very much! The blurb sounds great and I am really looking forward to reading it once I have completed my current one. Although I can multi-task in a wide variety of situations (as all Grans do), I find that trying to read more than one book at a time is most disconcerting - must be my age!!

janerowena Wed 18-Jun-14 21:44:14

So some of yours have only just turned up? Only mine hasn't so we (gransnet) are wondering if the postman is reading it.