Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Fishing in the footsteps of Mr Crabtree

(1 Post)
happytraveller Tue 15-Jul-14 15:07:09

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this book, together with a bobble hat and a DVD. My grandson and I often walk along the River Lark in Suffolk and we both became aware of the intense quiet that fishing evokes. It is almost palpable. This appealed to Joe and sparked both our interests in this pursuit, which is why I put in for this wonderful book.

We sat together (Joe wearing the bobble hat in the heat). First we went from beginning to end just looking at the photographs and the superb illustrations (drawn by Bernard Venables): Pictures of a kindly patient-looking relaxed man smoking a pipe and wearing a v-neck jumper under a suit; sitting in an armchair with the enthusiast Peter hanging on to his every word and looking like they both have all the time in the world. The text evokes a bygone almost romantic age where life was much simpler in many ways. "The glorious 16th June tomorrow, Peter. Let's be up at Sunrise to fish the lake for Tench!"

There are chapters on the best way to catch Pike, Perch, Roach, Rudd, Tench etc. To be truthful I've never heard of Roach or Rudd or Tench before reading this book. there is also a useful guide towards the back of Do's and don'ts, together with a section on Knots, Baits and Rods.

The Foreword, written by Hannah Bruford - the daughter of Bernard Venables, is fascinating and gives a real insight into their family life.

This a book to dip into again and again; where you will learn something new about Bernard Venables, his world and fishing in general every time you do.