Gransnet forums

Books/book club

August Book Club - Spare Brides by Adele Parks

(129 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Aug-14 09:17:57

The 200 winners should have their copies of Spare Brides by now, so if you got one (or indeed if you didn't and bought one anyway) do add your questions and comments for author Adele Parks.

There's still time for you to buy a copy and join in this month's Book Club. We will be sending the questions over to Adele at the end of August.

kittylester Sat 09-Aug-14 07:57:02

Thank you for my copy too! I've just started a really thick book but I will start the Adele Parks book asap! I always love her stories!

Elsie, I have given up reading anything by Elizabeth Noble - I can't cope! grin

Crow Sat 09-Aug-14 19:37:32

My copy arrived today, thank you. I enjoy Adele Parks so am sure i shall enjoy this one.

hildajenniJ Sat 09-Aug-14 20:10:09

My copy of "Spare Brides" arrived yesterday. I don't usually read this type of book but I' m really looking forward to starting it. Thank you very much I got a real suprise when the postman came.

numberplease Sat 09-Aug-14 23:46:27

I`m about 200 pages into the book now, but am finding it rather difficult to take a liking to the main characters up to now. It`s interesting though, reading about how the other half live.

mbody Sun 10-Aug-14 16:45:36

Just returned home after break away and am delighted to find book waiting. Will start it ASAP. Thank you.

Purpledaffodil Sun 10-Aug-14 20:09:41

Ooh! So exciting to get this. Have just started it, will be posting when I've finished. smile

chloe1984 Mon 11-Aug-14 08:13:59

Not my usual type of novel but as ever welcomed the chance to read something different as left to my own choices it would be the same diet of murder,mystery etc. I enjoyed reading this but felt a bit cheated by the ' happy ever after' ending. Never really got to explore the main characters in depth I would have liked more around Bea. Would the society people really have accepted Edgar so readily ? The other thing that puzzled me was who was going to help nurse the war wounded husband? ( won't say too much as others haven't yet finished reading) I read it and enjoyed it so thank you. I found it a bit thrilling to read the legal blurb on the inside cover made me feel a bit special ( sad I know)

dorsetpennt Mon 11-Aug-14 09:10:14

Thank you for my copy, I haven't read any of her books as it appears she writes romantic novels. However, as you kindly sent me this book it would be churlish not to read it. It's in the 'queue' with several others. I've just started the Hundred Foot Journey which looks very promising .

wallers5 Mon 11-Aug-14 11:06:02

Book arrived on Saturday & can't wait to get started but it is school hols so more granny sitting/entertaining!. Will do soon though. Thanks very much.

matson Mon 11-Aug-14 13:53:06

Have received my copy of Adele Parks new novel, thank you

numberplease Mon 11-Aug-14 15:24:15

Am enjoying the book now that I`m further into it, but still can`t resist my air of disapproval of certain characters.

Gagagran Tue 12-Aug-14 10:10:02

I had two dearly loved Great Aunts (sisters) who were both badly affected by the first world war and the aftermath. One, was given syphilis by her returning husband (who died soon afterwards) and became blind as a result and eventually died 40 years later, suffering terrible tremors and other horrible effects.

The other never found a husband though she was a sweet, kind and lovable lady teacher. They lived together and made a life as best they could. I have such fond memories of them both.

My question to Adele is : Did you have anyone in your family affected by the war and did this have any bearing on your writing this book?

Soutra Tue 12-Aug-14 12:13:53

chloe what "legal bit on the inside cover" have I missed by reading the Kindle version?

numberplease Tue 12-Aug-14 15:56:35

Having now fini8shed the book Spare Brides, I`m surprising myself by saying that I really did enjoy it after all, and loved the ending.

Purpledaffodil Tue 12-Aug-14 19:35:04

Spare Brides was a very topical choice in this year in which WW1 is so much in the news. I enjoyed reading it, but was rather disappointed by the gallop at the end in which the characters were sorted out for a happy ending so rapidly. Some sloppy editing eg Edgar's landlady wore a nylon housecoat although nylon not invented until 1935.
Would like to ask Adele Parks if she is planning a sequel Would like to know if the happy endings were long lasting?

Purpledaffodil Tue 12-Aug-14 19:38:13

Soutra it says it is an uncorrected proof copy made available in confidence to selected persons. So that's us thensmile

Soutra Wed 13-Aug-14 18:32:37

Oo-er! Mine is just a normal Kindle book! sad

MargaretX Thu 14-Aug-14 00:22:23

I've read it but won't keep the book to read again sometime and I wouldn't recommend it either. For those if us who remember the pre-pill 50s and60s the whole plot doesn't ring true and although its a decent read it shouldn't he presented as a true picture of the time after WW1, when there was such a shortage of men and divorce extremely difficult.

Crow Thu 14-Aug-14 10:03:30

I got very frustrated with the book and I am normally a fan of Adele Parks.
I am afraid I skipped bits which I have never done before.
I shall pass it on as I always do, but it wasn't one I would recommend I am sorry to say.

EastEndGranny Thu 14-Aug-14 18:58:57

Thank you for my copy. I am about a quarter of the way through and so far enjoying more than I initially thought I would.

Buddie Thu 14-Aug-14 19:08:26

Just returned from a few days away to find a copy of this book waiting so will give it my attention soonest. Have been reading a couple of non-fiction books about WW1 so will be interesting to read some fiction with a link now. I had a maiden aunt who I believe lost someone special in WW1 although she would never talk about it and my mother, her sister, was not born until almost the end of the war so never knew the story herself.

sweetpea Thu 14-Aug-14 22:26:42

Thank you for my copy. Hoping to make a start on it at the weekend.

coffecup Fri 15-Aug-14 07:23:14

Best book i have read in a while it made you think although it was
not gloomy it actually gave a fresh view on the war and its effects
would certainly look out for other books by this author.

nonnarosi Fri 15-Aug-14 15:19:58

I received my copy last week, and read cover to cover. A vivid look at life post WW1 for both women and men. I agree that the romance was slightly Mills and Boon, but the constraints of the period added an edge to the love affairs. We tend to forget how the aftermath of the war affected women, Adele Parks paints a poignant picture of those who survived the war.
Great read, I will now pass to my daughter (35) I hope she enjoys it as much as it have.

Grannie48 Fri 15-Aug-14 21:00:32

I am now on page 320 and still enjoying it. I am resisting the temptation to read the end. ☺ My daughter-in-law is waiting to read it after me.