Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine

(1 Post)
keriku Thu 04-Sep-14 21:56:53

CLOTHES, CLOTHES, CLOTHES,MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC, BOYS, BOYS, BOYS by VIV ALBERTINE
Apparently, Viv was in The Slits, an all girl punk band in the 1970s. Although, I was a teenager in the 70s; while she was hanging out with The Sex Pistols and sleeping in squats, I was sellotaping together Donny Osmond posters from the Jackie and being a swotty Patrol Leader and Prefect!
Yet, although I was never a punk, I absolutely loved this book. Each chapter is about a different year in her life. I could relate to so many of the events and people she mentioned. Viv writes with great humour and emotion. Post-Punk, she worked as a film-maker, artist and Pineapple dance coach, even settling down at the seaside with a husband and daughter! She is a true survivor of both serious illness and a brutal father.
A truly fascinating woman – I may never be a punk but I would love to meet her.
I loved the reminders of how hard it was to contact folk in the 70s and 80s. Very few of her friends even had landlines, so putting together a gig involved a lot of bus journeys and plenty of change for call boxes.
Viv kept loads of souvenirs from her punk days. My favourite? A wee hand written poster with the eternal words “On After Top of the Pops!”