Gransnet forums

Books/book club

October book club - Miss Carter's War

(133 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Sep-14 11:49:33

People have started to receive their copies so ahead of 1st Oct (what's 36 hours between friends) here is the thread to leave your comments about the book and questions for Sheila Hancock - she will be coming in to GNHQ on Monday 27 Oct to answer so make sure you add yours before then.

SheilaHancock Mon 27-Oct-14 13:41:38

wigwam

Hello Sheila - I loved the book and hope you are writing another? From one gran to another - I would love to know your feelings on being a grandmother. Best wishes

At the moment they are somewhat dubious. Before I came here I spent some time putting TCP, Germoline and lavender on flea bites that my grandchild acquired on a trip to Paris. Can you believe that anybody could come back from Paris with their main memory being bitten by fleas!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 27-Oct-14 13:44:47

Thank you so much Sheila - we would have been happy to carry on all day! Another time we hope smile

goose1964 Thu 06-Nov-14 19:33:53

I've finished it what a surprise it was, I thought it would be a lot of flashbacks but there only a few & her ward was no WW2 but a war on ignorance & inequality

Clematisa Mon 22-Dec-14 18:03:08

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this - took me back to my "student sit-in" days when we tried to stop the closure of our college - without success!

mazgoli Mon 27-Apr-15 20:28:34

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Miss Carter's War. The many issues in the book have been well researched and sensitively addressed. Although one may not agree with each of the characters sentiments or opinions, the book is written in such a way that we are able to understand why they have these feelings.

MargaretX Tue 28-Apr-15 11:01:00

I got it on my Kindle after reading the posts on GN but would only give it 3 stars and I personally would not recommend it. It seemed to me to be rather loosely cobbled together and I couldn't accept that a handsome Frenchman would wait 40? years for an English girl he met in his early twenties. I got the feeling MS Hancock didn't know how to finish the book and this ending really was thin..

J52 Tue 28-Apr-15 11:36:30

I quite enjoyed it, but it reminded me of so many things about growing up in London, at a Girls school in the 60s and teaching in a radical inner London comp in the 70s.

Without those personal links, I should think it would not be particularly interesting or challenging.

However, I saw Sheila Hancock at the Cheltenham Literary Festival and she was an inspiration. I hope I'm like her when I get to my 80s! x