Gransnet forums

Books/book club

'I Opened a Book'

(9 Posts)
shabby Tue 07-Oct-14 10:38:35

I bought my DGS, who is 8, a new book which I gave to him yesterday. He started reading it during the evening and he said to me 'Nanny I can't put this book down'. I am so thrilled that he has a love of reading. I have printed out this quotation/poem by Julia Donaldson to give to him the next time I see him and I thought I would share it with you.

“I opened a book and in I strode.
Now nobody can find me.
I've left my chair, my house, my road,
My town and my world behind me.
I'm wearing the cloak, I've slipped on the ring,
I've swallowed the magic potion.
I've fought with a dragon, dined with a king
And dived in a bottomless ocean.
I opened a book and made some friends.
I shared their tears and laughter
And followed their road with its bumps and bends
To the happily ever after.
I finished my book and out I came.
The cloak can no longer hide me.
My chair and my house are just the same,
But I have a book inside me.”

― Julia Donaldson

gillybob Tue 07-Oct-14 11:21:00

Lovely thread shabby I bet you were thrilled that the book you had chosen was just right for DGS.

My two DGD's both love reading and both get lost in a good book although they still love being read to as well, as apparently "grandma can do the voices much better" smile

I love the JD poem, so true.

janerowena Tue 07-Oct-14 11:28:14

Those books are with us until the end of our days, aren't they. How lovely.

Grannyknot Tue 07-Oct-14 11:38:00

shabby that is so sweet. I'm already "reading" poetry (children's poems) to my 3 month old grandson, hoping he likes the rhythms and the sound of my voice smile I'll read him this one too!

rubysong Tue 07-Oct-14 12:10:37

That's a great poem shabby and just as appropriate for adults. I shall take it to my book group. Thank you for passing it on.

Marmight Tue 07-Oct-14 12:12:05

That's just lovely shabby and long may he continue to love books.
All my grandchildren love books, but one in particularly who is 2, is obsessed by them. He was read to from birth and insists on at least 6 stories at bed time (not to mention all those he wants during the day) otherwise he has a melt-down! I just hope this obsession continues and keeps him away from the dreaded telly and electronic games.

durhamjen Wed 08-Oct-14 00:20:40

My 12 year old grandson has suddenly discovered he likes reading and reads at every opportunity. He has ASD and does not always understand what he reads. Between us we have read Wind in the Willows in two weeks, reading at least an hour a day as he insists on having literacy lessons every day, just like in school.
We read the different voices, and he corrects me if I am not reading it the right way, e.g. if Mole has to say something grumpily.
Before that we read Watership Down.
It's absolutely brilliant. All my other grandchildren have read from an early age, and they all love reading on their own or with other people.
He's reading Harry Potter with his mum.
We are so proud of him.

durhamjen Wed 08-Oct-14 00:48:10

By the way, I wouldn't read Michael Rosen's poem of the same title to him. He'd have too much in his brain, as he puts it, then have nightmares.
Have just printed out Julia Donaldson's to read to him tomorrow.
Thanks, shabby.

shabby Wed 08-Oct-14 11:24:39

Knowing my DGS durhamjen he would like the Michael Rosen poem. He likes anything creepy and scary as long as it is daylight - it's a different story once it gets dark! I just love the JD poem and I hope that both me and my DGS will have many more books inside us.