Gransnet forums

Books/book club

November book club

(163 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Nov-14 15:22:16

Our pick this month is Hello From the Gillespies (fine out more here and author Monica McInerney will be answering your comments and questions towards the end of the month.

So if you received a copy of the book don't forget to post on the thread - and if you didn't do join in anyway!

MonicaMcInerney Tue 16-Dec-14 15:17:35

Candelle

Is the homestead Errigal a fictitious name? Does it have a meaning? Thanks.

Thanks Candelle – Errigal is the name of a mountain in Donegal in Ireland. In my novel, Nick Gillespie’s ancestors came to Australia from the west of Ireland (Donegal and Mayo), and named their sheep station after an Irish landmark, as a link with their homeplace. It’s very common in Australia – I am from a town called Clare in South Australia, named after the founder’s home county Clare in Ireland, and there are many other Irish place-names nearby too.

stormhorse Thu 18-Dec-14 12:32:25

just finished this book last night & have to say i really did enjoy it. well written & well thought out.

Gagagran Thu 18-Dec-14 13:23:44

I also finished it too late for the questions to Monica. I really enjoyed the book and thought the interplay between the siblings was brilliant. I also strongly related to Ig and his imaginary friend as DS had an imaginary dog and DD an imaginary husband called "Joe the sailor". I also thought the character of Aunt Celia was well drawn - I have an older sister who could easily be Celia!

nannabo Fri 19-Dec-14 18:00:35

Loved reading this book smile have now passed it on to my friend. I felt as if I was actually living with the Gillespies great read.

cathisherwood Fri 19-Dec-14 20:29:20

read my daughters free copy
- loved the book - how do people brought up in such remote areas cope when they enter the real world? You can totally believe they will be messed up characters - definitely OK to have imaginary friends in this situation

loopylou Fri 19-Dec-14 20:40:14

Started reading this in bed last night and ended up still engrossed 2 hours later, the first book for some time to keep me engaged.

willow5 Mon 22-Dec-14 12:18:12

I also found this book very interesting, enjoying the interplay between the three sisters, especially Lindy, who thought herself left out of the twins ' circle'. My only question ( though I realise it is too late now, and also realise that the author possibly had no input into the answer ) is, why did it have to be printed in such a small font. Even a little larger would have made it a lot easier for me, and probably a lot of other grandmothers, grandfathers, nannies and granddads to read.

lindarumsey Thu 25-Dec-14 11:38:17

I adored this book. The Gillespies are such a warm and loving family. They bicker and argue and keep secrets but the family bond is always strong. The remote Australian ranch sounds like a great place to visit but I don't think I'd want to live there!

Nansypansy Sat 27-Dec-14 08:58:15

I've just put a comment on the book club thread - should have put it on this one! Duh! I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading it and it was a pleasant change to read a 'real' book, rather than my kindle and now I can pass it on to my friend.

nannabo Thu 01-Jan-15 18:22:12

Thank You for another amazing book. Loved it. It has now gone to my friend in work who I know will love it too.

Honor Mon 13-Apr-15 20:17:12

I loved 'Hello from the Gillespies'. Ingenious plot and kept me reading far into the night to finish it!

dirgni Thu 23-Apr-15 19:22:41

Thank you so much for the free copy of this wonderful book! I gave it to my DIL for Christmas And she has just given it back to me to read! The story line is so compelling I just couldn't put it down. Absolutely great!