Gransnet forums

Books/book club

We are all Completely Beside Ourselves

(44 Posts)
broomsticks Mon 24-Nov-14 16:56:01

Has anyone else read this? I found it quite long winded but on the whole loved it. Very clever dripping of information!

Nonu Mon 24-Nov-14 17:02:17

Read what ?

annodomini Mon 24-Nov-14 17:10:11

The book title is the post title, Nonu. I've read and enjoyed it but it's impossible to say what it's about without committing a spoiler!

Ana Mon 24-Nov-14 17:13:08

I've got the book, but it's having to wait its turn to be read!

(Oh dear, another thread I'm going to have to avoid in case of spoilers...grin)

Nonu Mon 24-Nov-14 17:31:09

Okay , thanks.!!

Nelliemoser Mon 24-Nov-14 17:54:17

I found that thread title a little obscure as well.
I am now enlightened. smile

Ariadne Mon 24-Nov-14 19:31:58

Oh, but the title reflects the content, so you have to read it first! I absolutely loved it - witty, cleverly constructed and so surprising and informative - learning by osmosis.

And you can't tell anyone what it is about because you don't know for a while, so you can't spoil it. I am surprised it didn't get a better run at the Booker.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 24-Nov-14 19:44:33

And another one joins the 'to read' queue on my kindle. hmm

Sounds interesting. smile

broomsticks Mon 24-Nov-14 20:52:59

Yes, definitely no-one say what it is about!! grin

Stansgran Mon 24-Nov-14 20:55:58

I've read it and loved it and been recommending it. There's a good offer on Book People if you haven't got a Kindle.

Sewsilver Mon 24-Nov-14 21:22:33

I've just finished it and enjoyed it. I was surprised by the revelation a third of the way in. Can't say anymore without spoiling it.

Eloethan Mon 24-Nov-14 22:39:15

I loved it.

Purpledaffodil Tue 25-Nov-14 06:05:02

So intrigued by this, I googled it and read some reviews. Now I am very intrigued. Amazon are doing it in their 3 for £10. Now to find two more!

broomsticks Tue 25-Nov-14 16:18:14

Sorry, I suppose the thread title is a bit cryptic. It's an odd title for a book.

rosesarered Sat 29-Nov-14 17:37:55

Saw this in a bookshop the other week, it's on my list to read.

alex57currie Sat 29-Nov-14 21:11:06

Intrigued by this thread I downloaded it. Enjoying it. Thanks ladies.

Quiltinggran Sun 30-Nov-14 10:39:42

Got this from the library and have almost finished it, been reading it till late in the night. Will be sad when I've finished it but can't stop reading it!

Albatross42 Fri 26-Dec-14 16:33:21

I was starting ot get bored with this until the thing we mustn't talk about happened! Its really worth reading and leaves a lot of food for thought afterwards!

Ana Fri 26-Dec-14 16:43:41

I was really enjoying it until the 'revelation' then lost interest a bit. Glad I stuck with it though because it did pick up again and certainly provided a lot of food for thought.

Ariadne Fri 26-Dec-14 17:33:29

Didn't it just!

rosesarered Mon 30-Mar-15 19:31:09

Got this for my Kindle to read on our recent holiday. I thought it was well written, was a page turner in certain sections, if not all, and made me remember a documentary on tv about this very thing ( don't want to give the plot away.) Yet, on the whole, it's not a book I would tell others to read, which is a bit like I feel about Donna Tartt's books too.Because they are a bit the same, so well written, but need a lot of editing and contain a great deal of boring bits.

loopylou Mon 30-Mar-15 19:50:04

I've read the first half twice now and have lost momentum again tbuhmm, once I found out 'that that shall not be mentioned' my mind just switched off.
Pleased to see many of you enjoyed it, but not for me - I agree totally with you rosesarered about Donna Tartt too.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 17:15:24

I have been trying to read this this afternoon. I can't believe how hideously boring it is! I have got to part three. Can anyone tell me if there is any likelihood of it getting any better? Or shall I ditch it?

loopylou Fri 24-Apr-15 17:20:59

I struggled big time too jingl, never got pass halfway. I gave it to my DD who left it on the Tube, so presumably some other soul has it now smile
She said she couldn't get in to it either hmm, and she usually devours books.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 17:27:24

I think I might go to the last few pages, and then "remove from device". grin (Trouble with books on Kindle. You can't even give them away)