Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Sagas set over the centuries.

(18 Posts)
jo1book Sat 14-Feb-15 10:03:00

Absent. I think the old series is out there, if you look, Try ebay.

absent Thu 12-Feb-15 06:10:50

Not centuries but eventful years must be The Forsyte Saga. I am sure many grans remember the superb BBC production with Eric Porter, Kenneth Moore, Nyree Dawn Porter, Susan Hampshire et al. They even changed the times of evensong in some churches so that it didn't clash with the new episode each Sunday evening and I remember great excitement among the younger members of my school when I was on lunch duty following the episode where Soames Forsyte raped Irene. It's unlikely ever to be a re-run because it was filmed in black and white.

rubylady Thu 12-Feb-15 02:36:23

I thought you meant the coach trips! confused

felice Wed 11-Feb-15 10:51:50

Diana Gabaldon, The Fiery Cross. Kim Stanley Robinsons' Mars trilogy, Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars.

jo1book Tue 10-Feb-15 22:34:08

Or a renovation job. Imagine what black pearls from Civil War era (if memory serves me) would be worth!
I love hidden treasure stuff.

Lapwing Tue 10-Feb-15 22:14:48

I always imagined that if she wrote a book set in WW 2 that the house would be bombed and the pearls would be found in the ruins.

jo1book Tue 10-Feb-15 22:11:16

Ha. She will "find" them in the last book. I guess to save the Dynasty.

Lapwing Tue 10-Feb-15 18:57:25

Jo1book - I know what you are referring to as I read about them in a book review and NO they have never been found.

jo1book Tue 10-Feb-15 18:47:58

Lapwing - just tell me if they found the black pearls in the stair-post. Do you know what I mean?

Lapwing Tue 10-Feb-15 16:53:59

Wheniwasyourage I really must start and read the early Moreland books - just need to get through all of the others that I have downloaded!!

Lapwing Tue 10-Feb-15 16:50:26

Jo1book - the WW 1 books were sad to read at times but we'll worth it.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 10-Feb-15 16:44:51

Yes, Lapwing, do go back to the beginning of the Morland Dynasty books - I'm sure you will enjoy them. I read from start to finish after trying the one set in 1912 when some of the family were on the Titanic (they do have an exciting time, with one thing and another). Just about to start again!

jo1book Tue 10-Feb-15 15:30:17

Thank you jbfrocks; will order at once.

Re; Moreland Dynasty. I read all up to lst WW. Have trouble reading anything of that era. Too upsetting.

Wasn't there some called ANAND who wrote through-the-ages books.

Of course, I could always re-read Norah Lofts. As a girl, just loved the House At Old Vine and what was he other one about a house from Tudor times to present day?

Also like the MEDIEVAL MURDERERS series. There is probably another one out.
I just love history.

J52 Tue 10-Feb-15 14:39:42

I went to school with Cynthia Harrod-Eagles and travelled on the same bus across London. She was a couple of years above me! I feel really guilty in. Not reading her books. I think I'll start. x

Lapwing Tue 10-Feb-15 14:03:48

The Moreland Dynasty series by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. The first book starts during the War of the Roses and the last to date (no 35) ends in the 1930's. I started mid-way through the series and really have enjoyed the books. I might go right back to the beginning to read the books that I missed out on. The author has a website where you can download family trees so that you can keep tabs on family relationships.

tanith Tue 10-Feb-15 13:47:11

'The Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follett and the follow up 'World Without End', be warned though I couldn't put either of these books down once I'd started them, hugely readable I so enjoyed all the historical detail and the family connections.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 10-Feb-15 13:33:39

The Loving Spirit by Daphne DuMaurier. I read it years ago and loved it.

"the loving spirit lingers long, and will not pass away". I like that. smile

jo1book Tue 10-Feb-15 13:10:02

I enjoy books like Edward Rutherfurd's historical novels, where people are linked over the centuries.
Would welcome info. on other authors who write like this. Thank you.