Gransnet forums

Books/book club

A Song for Issy Bradley

(122 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 02-May-15 12:12:24

Many thanks for my copy of this book which the postman had hidden under the recycling boxes when I was out. I am very much looking forward to reading it over the Bank Holiday. My DSiL's family are Mormons and I struggle to understand it.

winifred01 Thu 07-May-15 19:27:52

Many thanks for book A song for Issy Bradley. I am going on holiday next week so it will go with me.

bmteal Thu 07-May-15 19:45:05

Thank you so much for my prize of "A Song for Issy Bradley".
I cannot wait to read it. [Grin]

jocelyne Thu 07-May-15 20:08:53

Very touching story, sad, tragic but so well told and I have learnt a lot about the religion in question. Did the author know someone who had such a tragic time in their life ? What is her next project?
Thank you for such a touching story.

inishowen Thu 07-May-15 22:19:21

I received mine yesterday and started it last night. It is proving to be very good. I've always found the Morman religion interesting so I want to learn more. The subject matter is deeply sad, especially if like me, you have a little granddaughter.

cherryblossom Thu 07-May-15 22:24:27

Thanks for my free copy of A Song for Issey Bradley looking forward to starting it this evening.

pattieb Thu 07-May-15 22:33:27

Many thanks for my book. I am looking forward to reading it as well as other Gransnetters comments.

Anya Fri 08-May-15 06:54:42

Thank you for my copy. I'll start it this weekend.

GrannieAnnie123 Fri 08-May-15 08:51:20

Thankyou for my free copy. Such a different, funny and very sad book. I couldn't put it down. I wanted to shake Claire but a very good recognition of the ways grief hits in various ways. A good read but to echo another reader, not for public reading and have man size tissues handy

bookdreamer Fri 08-May-15 09:45:48

Thanks for my copy too. Will start it this weekend.

chloe1984 Fri 08-May-15 10:26:25

I found it difficult to put this book down it totally captured me on several different levels. I believed in the characters and was totally absorbed by the Mormon family life and beliefs. I will post some questions later as I need time to absorb what I have read .Thanks Gransnet yet again for giving me a book that I definitely would not have chosen for myself.

Elsie10 Fri 08-May-15 10:42:42

Yes - I received my book a couple of days ago, thank you, and am on page 122 and crying already. I have always had an unsubstantiated prejudice about the Mormon faith so this is quite an eye opener! I will post my opinion when I get to the end.
Always good to read something quite out of my comfort zone - as many of Gransnet books are.

Rosannie Fri 08-May-15 22:36:53

I couldn't put the book down and had to carry on reading to the end once I had started.
It was well written and very enlightening for me as a person who knew very little about the Mormon religion and how followers incorporate it into everyday family life.
I likened the catastrophic event in the family to an earthquake and the subsequent disintegration of the family, their beliefs and their relationships was like the aftershocks and the shifting of tectonic plates after the disaster.
I liked the way in which the author drew the thread of each character and their perspective on the tragedy separately and then wove them back together for a breath-taking conclusion.
I would like to ask Cary which (if any) of the characters did she identify with the most? I would also like to thank her for an honest, well written book.

winifred01 Sat 09-May-15 16:14:28

Many thanks for the book- I have started to read it. Finding it a difficult read as we lost a grand-daughter aged 9 years

nonnanna Mon 11-May-15 10:59:14

winifred01 So sorry. That must have been awful for you all. My baby daughter died back in the 70's, after days in hospital ICU. Reading about the hospital scenes and the smells back at home brings it all back doesn't it? It's my biggest dread that one of the grandchildren should die because I don't want our children to go through that pain. I persevered with Issy Bradley tho and am ready to ask Carys a question now.

Carys - I found myself getting very agitated with the Mormon faith of Ian, I felt as if I was drowning in Mormonism at the beginning of the book. Is this what it's really like? I just cannot believe that Ian's parents didn't come back from their Mission to help to support the family.

Like Rosannie I would like to say what a brilliant book you have written. The characters are excellently portrayed. Al's three Nephites were amazing. Some of Jacob's lines were superb and we now need to know if you are going to write more about the Bradley family.

Thank you Carys Bray and Gransnet

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-May-15 11:20:28

geri

Maybe I missed it, but I didnt see anything from Gransnet either on the webpage or email, about the book for May, when was this one advertised please?

Hi Geri

As usual this was on the home page and the books page and in the newsletter - we usually do the giveaway element a couple of weeks before the month starts so that people can receive their copies in plenty of time to read and add comments and questions during the actual book club month. Sorry you have missed out on this one but other wonderful reads coming up so keep watching

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-May-15 11:23:18

Adding to the discussion - I didn't find it an easy read (I have a 6yo daughter) but I couldn't put it down. Beautifully written. Sad, moving and I learned a lot about the Mormon faith that I hadn't really known before. I read it a while back and it's stayed with me ever since.

Rosannie Mon 11-May-15 13:58:12

Hi Cari, I have always wondered who chooses the books for the book club and how a choice is made. I love being part of the Gransnet Book Club and I can only remember one book that I was disappointed with. Well done to the "chooser" and a big thank you for extending my range of reading!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-May-15 10:31:57

blush 'tis me so thank you. I realise not everyone will like every book (we all have genres and styles we like more than others, myself included of course) There are so many fantastic new books out every month and it can be very difficult to choose but I try to find a mix of authors and subjects and tones etc etc. Of course it does mean I have to spend every spare moment with my nose in a book. Such (joyous) hardship grin grin

Rosannie Tue 12-May-15 12:30:55

Thank you Cari for your hard work, I would love a job like that!
Keep up the good work.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-May-15 12:36:55

I have to say I absolutely love it! Reading has been my passion since I was a very small child and I am never without a book in my hand.

nonnanna Tue 12-May-15 15:48:28

Thank you CariGransnet for enduring the hardship on our behalf grin

mbody Tue 12-May-15 17:47:52

What an excellent book, very well written and it gave an in depth look at the Mormon way of life which I found fascinating. Perhap Carys could tell me whether she is still in touch with any members of the Mormon Church and did her leaving sever links with her relatives. Incidentally I really could not blame anyone for leaving such a strange way of life.

loopylou Tue 12-May-15 17:56:56

Fascinating and somewhat disturbing book, it certainly made me think!
Carys - is this truly how the Mormon faith is lived?
Excellent book, I loved it!

Greenfinch Tue 12-May-15 19:05:12

I am half way through and absolutely loving this book. The characters are so real and the insight into Mormonism is fascinating and exactly as I have experienced it in my Sil's family :total obedience and the husband's position as head of the family. My SiL is no longer a Mormon and so his mother tells him they won't be together in Eternity. Fortunately this does not worry him. When his mother came to our grandchildren's baptism she walked out in the middle proclaiming that God was telling her she shouldn't be there .You were very brave to leave Carys and I'm sure you did the right thing for you and your family. Please, please write a sequel and let us know what happens to the second generation of this family.They are all so interesting in their own right.

annemac101 Wed 13-May-15 09:35:59

Thanks for my copy I'm about half way through it. I found the first couple of chapters hard to get into but it's fine now. I am so angry with the father and his faith being forced on his children. Looking forward to read the rest of it.