Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Some good books I'd like to recommend

(61 Posts)
bookaddict Thu 21-May-15 07:38:48

New to this site - found it by accident - what an interesting web-site full of information! Would love to recommend some good books I've read in the recent past - sure folks would enjoy them as I have?
Brother to the Ox by Fred Kitchen - what a good read covering the working life of a farm labourer in the early 20th century. Look out for the 'hiring' of farm labour at the local Statutes Fairs for 12 months - just think less than 100 years ago!
The Belle Fields by Lora Adams - A very interesting book covering local customs of how the highlights of the year (Christmas, May-day etc) were celebrated around 1900. Although a Victorian romance it really covers well how life was like above and below stairs in a Big House for a young local girl landing a job in the kitchen. It was a real 'page-turner' for me with many twists and turns causing real turmoil in her life and a totally unexpected end.
Lifting the Latch - Sheila Stewart - the author must have spent many hours listening to a real character who worked as a shepherd most of his life in Oxfordshire. She has described 'Old Mont's' life really well - again less than 100 years ago - how things have changed!
All are available via Amazon or Abe books in e-book form or in paperback or in most libraries.
Good reading - hope anyone trying any of these - hope you enjoy.

TerriBull Tue 27-Oct-15 09:39:03

Have just read a really good thriller "The Kind Worth Killing" not too formulaic, loads of twists and turns and an unexpected ending, would recommend it to those who like their crime.

annodomini Tue 27-Oct-15 09:57:20

Thanks for the recommendation, Terribull. I have put it on my wishlist.

TerriBull Tue 27-Oct-15 11:57:09

Hope you enjoy it annodomini and perhaps you will come back here with your opinion of it once you have read it.

annodomini Tue 27-Oct-15 12:03:49

Will do. I see it has great feedback on Amazon.

bookaddict Sun 05-Jun-16 08:02:29

just reading another fred kitchen book - 'life on the land'. it follows the year at a farm and the characters are very well described. set in edwardian england the annual events and patterns of farm life are testament to fred kitchen's working life - his knowledge and experience shines through! just finished the belle fields by lora adams for the 2nd time and enjoyed even better than my first read. it never fails to surprise me how much i missed the 1st time round. again set in late victorian / early edwardian times it follows the life of a local village girl who lands a job in the local 'big house'. the ups and downs for the main character (Emily) beggars belief and the descriptions of annual celebrations and the lives of those that had it all and ordinary folks trying to make ends meet is excellent! 2 good reads for you?

bookaddict Wed 26-Oct-16 14:44:19

I think I've just come across a book by accident which I think may be quite unique? Maybe any subscribers on here can put me right if there are others? It's certainly been a good read and took me back to my childhood in the 50's and 60's. It's a compilation of poems written by 5 sisters who all contribute with their memories of childhood, teen years and later into adult life. Some are very touching and emotional - some cheery remembering their Christmases, pets, their mum and dad etc etc. It seems they had an up and down childhood with a loving overworked mum and a dad who worked all hours but' liked a drink'! A lovely addition to the book are the illustrations included - some very poignant!
The book is available on Amazon as an E.Book but I've also seen paperbacks and hardback copies on Lulu.com.
"Say Kangaroo" by Five Sisters - I can definitely recommend this one to you folks if any of you get a copy would love to know what you think!
Cheers and good reading

bookaddict Sun 10-Sep-17 05:32:20

Just a quick note - good news - the sequel to The Belle Fields mentioned earlier has now been published. I've been looking forward to this book since thoroughly enjoying Lora Adams' first in the series. Got it on Amazon as an e.book - the title - Ashes of Roses. Read it in 2 or 3 sittings - couldn't put it down! Very well written again with obvious thorough research. It's answered many ?'s on how most of the characters in the original ended up - glad some thrived and others got all they deserved!! Very pleasant reading. Hope anyone who's interested has a chance to read both and enjoy as much as I have. Good reading!

eGJ Mon 18-Sep-17 14:59:20

Have you tried Louise Penny; good landscapes of Canada and characters that one grows to love so much that you can't wait to read the next one. Everything under heaven by the author anno wrote about is free on Amazon so I'll start the Silk Road adventures today! Will send a recommendation (or otherwise) Belle Fields and sequel look an interesting reads. Next ones for the kindle!

morethan2 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:16:16

tiggypiro I have just finished pillars of the earth what mammoth read it was. I too recommend it,don't be put off by the size of the book. I've ordered the sequel from the library. I'm reluctant to read anything else because the story of Kingsbridge is embedded in my head. That's often the case with any of ken folletts books. I believe there's a third so it may be sometime before I get round to my normal genre reads. I'm a lover of Anne Tyler, khaled hosseini, Victoria Hislop and I've read and enjoyed Erica James. They are great holiday reads. I've just downloaded TerriBull's recommendation The kind worth killing.

Applegran Sun 26-Nov-17 12:05:06

I have loved Jane Austen since being a teenager, and if you haven't read any of her books you have a treat in store - Pride and Prejudice would be a good start; you have to get used to the style, because it wasn't written recently, but Jane wrote at a time when there were many great novelists around and she was one of them. I have belatedly discovered how much I love George Eliot! Should have read her long ago, but have now devoured them all - again, get used to the style and you have some deeply interesting stories with depth - very gripping; I'd start with Silas Marner (not very long) or Adam Bede - both grip you and you understand so much about the life ordinary people lived then.