Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The House of Hidden Mothers by Meera Syal

(125 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 22-May-15 10:03:39

Thanks GNHQ. My copy has just arrived and it looks like a good, meaty book.

Annie29 Wed 27-May-15 14:40:49

Thank you for my copy. Have started to read it.

numberplease Wed 27-May-15 18:06:13

Finished it, LOVED it!

pattieb Wed 27-May-15 21:03:20

Thanks so much for my copy of this book. I can't wait to read it!

baubles Wed 27-May-15 21:29:04

Thanks for my copy, I'm going to read it over the weekend.

whenim64 Wed 27-May-15 21:34:18

I finished my copy last night - couldn't put it own. I won't comment any further yet - don't want to spoil everyone's enjoyment - a fabulous book!

Grannyknot Wed 27-May-15 22:49:21

What a wonderful book. I am a picky reader of fiction, and I am easily bored with too much background detail and then tend to skim as in "Okay, I get it, can we please get back to the story". But Meera Syal strikes just the right balance. And I really didn't see the twist in the end, coming. It left me feeling sad for the main characters.

eGJ Thu 28-May-15 08:20:30

Just finished reading; it look a bit slow getting into, but developed with its descriptions of life for the characters of all ages in India and England. Apart from being a little long and overstretched it is heart wrenching in parts and has a twist you don't expect. No more as I don't want to spoil it for the rest of you! smile and flowers Gransnet

geri Thu 28-May-15 19:10:30

Thanks so much for this interesting book, the lengths some people will go to have a family, and that unexpected twist at the end.
Now what about the German lady, mother of 13 already, who has just had quads! My goodness.

maureenmoe Thu 28-May-15 19:45:19

Page 142 and finding it hard to put down.

EastEndGranny Thu 28-May-15 23:09:14

Very pleased to receive my copy. Thank you! I am just a few chapters in. Finding it sad but humerous at the same time.

gma Fri 29-May-15 14:36:52

Just finished "house of hidden mothers" took a little while to get into it, but then it all came together and I really enjoyed it. characters all very believable and I can see it as a film. Meera Syal must have considered this already! I can see her as the female lead!! I wonder what Asian women have thought about this book? I have no Asian friends, unfortunately, so I would be interested to know. Thanks again gransnet for a lovely treatflowers

glammanana Fri 29-May-15 18:11:01

My copy just arrived this morning as it was returned to the Sorting Office because we where out last Friday and their next delivery was to-day because of the Bank Holiday,I could have have it read and finished by now couldn't I ? but am looking forward to starting it early in the week to come.

Eloethan Sat 30-May-15 00:49:01

It had a very good review in The I today.

I loved "Anita and Me" but wasn't so keen on "Life isn't all Ha Ha Hee Hee"

Pittcity Sat 30-May-15 21:35:31

What a fabulous book. I devoured it in two days and went on an emotional journey with the characters. A few parts were a bit contrived, but I suppose they were to make the story flow.
I look forward to a more detailed discussion when others have had a chance to finish the book and to the chat with Meera.

Matella Sat 30-May-15 22:28:58

Thank you so much for my book. What a wonderful surprise!

Matella Sat 30-May-15 22:31:04

Thank you so much for my book. What a wonderful surprise!

Elsie10 Sun 31-May-15 11:25:32

I finished the book this morning and really really enjoyed it. I liked the style in which it was written and it held my attention all the way through. Well done Meera for writing such an interesting and emotive book. I read a lot, often in tried and tested genre, so receiving books from Gransnet gives me the opportunity to read something different. I especially liked the way Meera ended the story - giving a glimpse into the future of her characters - a very satisfying read. Now I have to find something else to put by my bedside!!

Lowslung1 Sun 31-May-15 18:35:27

A fantastic book - I enjoyed every minute reading it - it is entertaining and educational, happy and sad, and has left me wanting more. I shall look out for Meera's previous novels.
I did anticipate the ending, so in that respect it was a bit predictable, but so enjoyable all the same - in fact I think that was how I wanted it to end.
Like Elsie10, I enjoyed the glimpse into the future - is there a sequel there somewhere?

winifred01 Sun 31-May-15 19:13:18

Just back from holiday and was delighted to find Meera Syal's book, can't wait to start reading it. Many thanks, Gransnet.

Spidergran Mon 01-Jun-15 16:52:53

I am sorry to say I did not like this book and it did not hold my interest. Perhaps the reason was I nor anyone close to me have ever suffered the problems the characters did so I did not find the over-all content interesting. That said, I also think it was very well written and the author's personality and humour came through excellently in the characters. The dry humour and wry observations of life were funny and emotional at times. I have a great interest in India and Indian cultrure so those parts I enjoyed. I watched Meera's interview on Loose Women where she stated there are plans for a film though it would not be released for a couple of years and I am sure it will transfer from book to film excellently and be a great hit with those people who appreciated the book in a better light than I did. Sorry, just honest personal review!

SuzC Mon 01-Jun-15 17:12:04

Thank you Gransnet and Penguin Random House for this beautiful book! My copy arrived weekend before last, as we were about to fly out to Barcelona on Bank Holiday Monday for my birthday (so this made a really nice gift to me)! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, despite the at times quite hard to stomach subject matter - intense yet compelling. Meera has proved herself again to be a very witty author. Brilliant book - most certainly a film in the making and perhaps a follow up novel?

cazthebookworm Tue 02-Jun-15 15:00:31

I am glad to see at last that someone else did not enjoy the book very much, I was beginning to think I was going to be the only one!
The actual theme of the book was interesting, and it was well researched and plotted, I just felt that it dragged on in places, too much padding and incidental material which I found boring. The chapters on the repossession of the flat I found particularly tedious.
It was well written and the twist at the end worked well, I did not see that coming. The book just didn't work for me but I am sure it will be well received and become extremely popular. I wish Meera the best of luck with it and the possible film.

patparti Tue 02-Jun-15 18:29:25

Thank you for my copy of the book! I have just finished reading it and loved it!! The characters were well-defined, there was humour and sadness and an interesting plot. The whole book is extremely well-written, I shall certainly look out for more books from Meera Syal.

Matella Wed 03-Jun-15 12:01:24

I had intended to save this book for my holiday but could not resist. I think the wonderful design of the cover made it impossible. Isn't it lovely? I found the book quite unique in its content. The insight in to the way things work in India was informative and makes me want to find out more from Indian friends. I think a good book always leaves you with a thirst for more knowledge and this book certainly achieved that, although in places I thought the background detail protracted thus detracting from the plot. For me the story was as much about a relationship with an age gap as much as the desire to have a child. I found the characters believable. Meera demonstrates considerable skill in in bringing them alive. I could clearly see the elderly parents and the moody daughter (although I do think she initially had quite a lot to complain about). Most of the book was inevitable yet unpredictable, however, I did sort of guess the ending and I think like lowslung1 I wanted it to end that way. Really enjoyed it.
I might even do some housework now I have finished it. on the other hand 'Anita and Me' has just arrived! hmm

matson Thu 04-Jun-15 14:33:37

A good read, despite the first half being so very very descriptive, which at first I found distracting and kept losing the thread! but then it seemed to slow down and come together, lovely story with strong characters, very enjoyable. Thank you.