Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Best summer reads 2015 - win £500 of books!

(905 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 17-Jun-15 09:59:12

It's that time of year again when our thoughts turn to holidays, sunshine <looks hopeful> and brilliant new books.

And what a line up we have...whether for reading in the garden, on the beach, on planes, trains or automobiles, we bring you some of the best summer reads for 2015. What's more, we are offering one lucky gransnetter the chance to win the lot - worth over £500!

Details of the books and everything else HERE So now all you need to do is tell us your favourite thing about summer - and it can be anything at all - and you will automatically be entered into the draw.

janeyf Wed 17-Jun-15 15:42:56

My favourite thing about summer is relaxing outside in the warm sunny evenings

domesticated Wed 17-Jun-15 15:45:42

Taking my Grandsons for days out. Its great to be able to get them out and about, especially when there on holiday from school.

susiebaby Wed 17-Jun-15 15:46:29

I love sitting out on warm, light evenings with a glass of Pimm's and a good book

SKBelle Wed 17-Jun-15 15:48:18

Being able to sit out in the sunshine with a good book, just letting the world go by. Nothing beats it!

stormhorse Wed 17-Jun-15 16:06:19

being able to go without a coat!

rachelmi Wed 17-Jun-15 16:07:14

I love smelling freshly cut grass and the long light evenings.

mazgoli Wed 17-Jun-15 16:33:06

Long warm evenings. Enjoying the garden with my grandchildren. But mostly, not needing layer upon layer just to pop outside.

Annie146 Wed 17-Jun-15 16:37:17

Walking along the beach with my family whilst eating a 99 smile x

JoJoY Wed 17-Jun-15 16:37:46

I love wearing less clothes and being outside more!

Kathx028 Wed 17-Jun-15 16:45:52

eating outside with a lovely glass of white wine, watching the sun go down and the sky is red, knowing it's another sunny day tomorrow!!!!

linkappa Wed 17-Jun-15 16:54:10

The warmer weather (hopefully!) and the longer hours of daylight.

nutunit Wed 17-Jun-15 17:32:48

My favourite thing about summer is taking my grandchildren for a picnic.

lornajk Wed 17-Jun-15 17:34:47

I love being able to spend time at the beach in the summer with all the family. Even better, summer evenings in the garden, when they are in bed, with a glass of something nice and a good book. Heaven!

valbuk Wed 17-Jun-15 17:36:27

Opening the doors and windows, letting the air and light into the home - in winter you never think that you will be able to turn off the heat and enjoy the fresh air again.

jomarise Wed 17-Jun-15 17:44:32

For me its lovely light evenings sat in the garden in the fading sun. Its BBQs with the family and just spending quality time - We always see more of family in the summer.

Funkyferret Wed 17-Jun-15 17:44:58

I love the light evenings - I have so much more energy to get stuff done than in the dark, cold winter evenings. So out in the garden, off for a walk, even deep cleaning the house is a more pleasant task!

happysouls Wed 17-Jun-15 18:31:08

I love being out in the garden just enjoying being warm for a change! If its really hot I have a nice hidden away place where I can sunbathe with nothing on, feeling the sun on my skin and being free from layers of clothing is lovely! If its not so sunny its better for sitting out on lovely comfy chairs with a great book!

joanf Wed 17-Jun-15 18:36:33

Eating outside

nettymay Wed 17-Jun-15 18:39:20

Laying flat on my back on my sun lounger and getting my husband to read to me - like he does to the children! Bliss!

baubles Wed 17-Jun-15 19:13:19

Love, love, love the feel of the warm sun on my skin, being outdoors and wearing only three items of clothing sunshine smile sunshine

freefan Wed 17-Jun-15 19:51:52

Getting the grandchildren away from their electronics and taking them camping smile

rachelkanga Wed 17-Jun-15 19:55:02

Everybody is happier, more relaxed, family enjoy each others company, sitting in garden eating BBQ and drinking and laughing together

Worlass Wed 17-Jun-15 20:05:29

I love the warmer weather when I can forget about wearing bulky jumpers, padded jackets and scarves. Unfortunately, it also means that I inevitably need to lose a few pounds which I have somehow managed to gain round the middle over winter. Luckily, I also love eating crunchy salads and yummy summer fruits like nectarines and cherries,which means it's not too long before I can feel quite comfortable wearing my posh frocks.

Judthepud2 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:16:12

We don't get much heat where I live, but seeing light still on the horizon at midnight is my summer joy. And the song of a blackbird high on a tree after a summer downpour. I live in N. Ireland and the fluorescent green of the countryside where I live lifts my spirits after a long damp dark grey winter.

Lys60 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:18:09

A cup of tea whilst sitting on the garden seat enjoying the tranquillity of the day