Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Man at the Helm - July book club

(116 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Jun-15 13:44:03

A day early - yes. But a pre emptive strike grin

Our July book is Man at the Helm by Nina Stibbe - more info HERE

If you got a free copy (they are on the way if no one has had yet!) then don't forget to leave questions and comments for Nina before the end of the month. If you weren't lucky this time - why not buy or borrow a copy and join the conversation?

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:02:31

gardener

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and found it amusing and fascinating from beginning to end ( though I have to admit I could have managed without the detailed description of the men's toilets !! )
I have read that it is a semi-autobiographical book - in that you moved with your family to a country village under similar circumstances .

This prompts the question :-
Is it easy / hard to start writing about your own childhood and then put in all these imaginary characters and events?

I love the idea of the "heavy pig" on page 278
Have you had many of these " weighty pig days " ?

I'm glad the mother found a "Man at the Helm " and I agree that she turned out to be a hero.
Thank you Nina and Gransnet......a brilliant book.smile

P.S. The last few sentences of the book are absolutely priceless !!!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the book. I have had very few pig days in my life… mainly because my mother told us to accept them (when they came) and take each day at a time. I’m glad you liked the last section. Mr Holt is very real and very much still our Man at the Helm!

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:03:16

Lottie2tiger

I'm surprised at some of the comments about the beginning of this book as I found it easy to get I to and really wanted to get to the end to see what hapoened.
My question is: it made me smile a lot but also made me feel quite sad in parts. Was it deliberate to try to bring out both emotions in your readers?

Yes, I wanted the book to be funny and sad because that’s how life was and is. I look back at the absolutely hilarious things and then have a little cry at the awfulness.

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:03:47

trisher

Finished this. I have mixed feelings about it. It was sometimes funny but I thought some of the comedy was too manufactured. Some episodes were really successful- Maxwell the pony was one-but other situations felt forced.
I thought the ending was a bit contrived. I would like to ask Nina if she ever wrote or thought of writing an alternative ending?

I did try to think of an alternative ending but in the end I wrote what actually happened and it seemed right. The whole thing being so autobiographical. I wished I could have written that my mother took the helm but she didn’t and in the end I thought I should just write the truth. Sorry it didn’t ring true. That’s the thing about the truth, it can seem contrived!!

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:04:27

kyalami

Has Nina got any other novels on the back burner?

Yes, there’s a new one coming in 2016. More Lizzie Vogel. x

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:05:07

Buddie

I agree with several others that the bad language used added nothing to the story and seemed outside of the supposed time scale, too. I would like to know if the author has personal experience of this period and if so whether it was spent in a rural location.

Yes to both. I was brought up in the 1970s in a village by a swearing upper-middle class drop out! Sorry about all the swearing but that’s just how it was.

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:05:47

lettie

I would like to ask Nina about her reasons for including Lizzie's mother's play dialogue - it didn't seem to carry the plot any farther forward. Was it to inject some 'white space', or for another reason? And, without naming names, were any of the main characters (humans or animals) inspired by her own experiences.

Thanks Nina, and Gransnet, for a good read.

I included the plays because I thought they offered a bit of explanation as to what the mother character was thinking and feeling. Most of the animals and humans are based on real animals and humans… especially Maxwell (my pony).

NinaStibbe Fri 31-Jul-15 10:07:37

bumblebee

Most gracious thanks to Gransnet and Penguin Books for a copy of this book. I seem to have received it a lot later than everyone else, looking at the dates of the above posts. As a result, I still have a bit of a way to go to complete the book, but shaping up to be a good read so far.

I'd like to ask Nina a few general questions, if I may ......

QUESTION ONE:- Do you have a personal favourite out of the two books you've had published? And out of books published by other authors?

I love both books in different ways. I love the Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend.

bumblebee

QUESTION TWO:- What would be the first piece of advice you would give to anyone attempting to write fiction?

Write in your own voice.

bumblebee

QUESTION THREE:- Can I ask you about your writing process? How do you plot everything? What was the initial spark for 'Man at the Helm', and was it based on personal experiences, completely made-up, or a mixture of the two?

smile

I don’t plan enough to begin with and just write and write and then try to impose order on top of the chaos. I wouldn’t recommend this approach though! The book is pretty autobiographical, not faithfully, but a mix of real and made up.

GrandmaH Fri 31-Jul-15 13:11:43

I wish I had been back from holiday in time to ask a question!
I loved this book- my husband got tetchy as I kept laughing out loud. That is annoying when you don't know what someone else is reading.
I fell in love with the children & saw a lot of my own mother in theirs.
The quirkiness of the story was a really refreshing change & I will suggest that all my book club read it! A really good holiday book.
What I would have asked is if there is any chance there will be a sequel telling us what the children did when they left home.
Hear's to all the Mr Holts in life!

Matella Fri 31-Jul-15 13:41:32

I too just got back from holiday and hope 31st is not too late to receive a reply from Nina.
I really could identify with the general treatment of divorced mothers in the 70's. I loved the portrayal of the character 'Charlie the Cad'. There really were men like that who came good now and a gain but took advantage of single mothers and offered no commitment in the long run.
I did not laugh out loud but definitely smiled to myself quite a lot.
The mother was quite a disturbing selfish character but having had a friend with a divorced mother just like her in the 70's I kept that in mind. The friend grew up to be capable and independent and did not seem to hold any grudges towards her mother. Again a good portrayal of the character.
The little plays work well and are original.
My question for Nina if I am not too late is:
Have you thought about this book as a play? Imagine the wonderful cast of characters and the different scenes. It really would lend itself well towards a stage production and I think could be a tremendous success. Imagine the actors bringing the characters alive on stage as well as in the literary. What fun could be had with the mother, Charlie, little Jack and Mr Holt as the Cavalry!

Grannycupcake Fri 31-Jul-15 15:52:32

Thanks for the book, Enjoyed it. Puts me off though with the bad language.

shysal Fri 31-Jul-15 16:53:10

Just finished the book and came on GN to add my comments, only to find that I am too late! I struggled to find the story gripping, but it was pleasant enough. The lifestyle seemed more like that of my own childhood era in the 40s and 50s rather than the 70s. Perhaps those in the countryside were behind those of us in suburbia!

patparti Mon 03-Aug-15 14:07:23

Only just read the book due to being on holiday when it arrived, however I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the story unfold through the eyes of the children, lots of smiles but also sadness as it became apparent how difficult life was for mum. Despite all the plotting and planning of Lizzie and her sister life worked out very well without their 'help'!!

Hameringham Tue 04-Aug-15 13:39:53

Thank you for my copy of this fascinating book. I am growing quite fond of Lizzie. Her observations make me smile. As a child Nina did you know a Lizzie? The story line makes me smile rather than laugh out loud and that is a good feeling.

carol49cat Wed 19-Aug-15 13:29:19

Sorry for the late post and thank you for the book. I have to say that I gave up after a few chapters. I dislike precocious children and found the style of writing annoying. Sorry! You can't win them all. I will gift the book to the local Age UK charity shop.

Lottie2tiger Tue 15-Sep-15 10:59:48

This book was amusing and fun, I really enjoyed the style of the writing and I engaged with the characters well. It was far better than a traditional chick lit love story and I will definitely be looking for other books from this author.
there were lots of times in the book that I felt I was there with the kids travelling on the train or standing up at the talent show, the sign of a good read.
Not hard to read, light entertainment but a fun look at romance.