Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Lord of the Rings

(19 Posts)
durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 18:17:57

Has anyone seen a copy of this in decent size print so my grandson can read it next year?
The copy I have is small letters. I went into town today hoping to find one with bigger script, but they were all the same.
He read The Hobbit last year, and wants to continue with The Lord of the Rings, but small print puts him off.

Culag Thu 13-Aug-15 19:26:36

As The Lord of the Rings is three books maybe you could find them separately as they might come in a larger print. There are separate editions on Amazon but it's difficult so see what the print is like. Maybe a good bookshop, if there is one in your area, could order them for you for you to see.

Nelliemoser Thu 13-Aug-15 19:32:56

Oh dear! I never did "get" the point of that Tolkein fantasy stuff.
Am I the only one.

ninathenana Thu 13-Aug-15 19:36:43

Never read the books but love the films. Have you tried Waterstones ?
I know they will order in.

Anne58 Thu 13-Aug-15 19:38:04

I would be inclined to agree with Culag

From memory (more than likely wrong!) Lord of the Rings in one volume runs to 1,076 pages.

Much better to read it as 3 volumes, which was I believe the way it was written (probably wrong again!)

Lovely to hear about children (esp. boys) wanting to read. I remember when DS2 was at Primary School, his teacher took me aside and said that he was the only boy in the class who read for pleasure. I was proud, but also quite sad for the others.

ninathenana Thu 13-Aug-15 19:42:49

Just googled. If you type Lord of the Rings large print in the Waterstones web page search it comes up with each book in large print.

Sorry I can't do link on my phone.

granjura Thu 13-Aug-15 20:21:07

Hope he enjoys it. I am tickled pink because I found out recently that the illustrator for the books, and for the films, the Canadian John Howe- used some of my favourite dales and forests as inspiration for both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. He lives locally.

Tegan Thu 13-Aug-15 20:50:50

The towers at Edgebaston Reservoir were the inspiration for the Two Towers in the books. Another Brummie achievement [along with being the birthplace of heavy metal and Duran Duran].

durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 21:00:54

I was in Waterstones and Smiths today. The assistant in Smiths was much more helpful. She wrote down the code for the Hobbit in the right size print for him after we had found it.
She agreed with me that the large print books for people who have problems with eyesight would not be suitable. It just needs to be larger than the ones in stock, the same size as the Hobbit book. I do not want him to feel as if he cannot read.
I know that Lord of the Rings is three books. It will take him a long time to read, so, as he is keen, I do not want to make it more difficult for him than it has to be.
I will also need another dictionary for him. He writes down all the words he does not understand, and writes down a meaning. Then we transfer them into an address book, as they are the only ones we can find that have an alphabetical index.

Ana Thu 13-Aug-15 21:05:33

I thought he'd already read The Hobbit.

Perhaps you should have made it clearer that you did not want large print books durhamjen - would have saved people all that googling.

durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 21:13:06

Do you have to criticise everything I write?
I said he read The Hobbit last year. We found a similar copy of the Hobbit in Smiths, and the assistant wrote down the number of that book, so I could contact the publisher and find out if they had The Lord of the Rings in the same size print.

Sorry if I wasted any of your time, those who replied. I thought that saying decent size print was good enough but obviously not for Ana.

Thanks for your help, the rest of you. I had hoped somebody might have a copy of the books in a reasonable size print and be able to give me the ISBN number.

Ana Thu 13-Aug-15 21:14:55

There's no need to be so insulting, durhamjen.

I suppose your thanks to those who tried to help is better late than never...

Tegan Thu 13-Aug-15 21:39:42

My Lord of the Rings is one of my oldest possessions; much as I loved it when I was young I'm not sure that I could read it now.When we had our holiday in Middleham the chap who ran one of the tea rooms had studied Tolkien so we had some nice chats about it. He was quite impressed that I had such an early paperback copy.

aggie Thu 13-Aug-15 21:52:55

my copy is extremely thin paper and minute print , my youngest son read it when he was at primary school and it has his fingerprints all over ! It is hardback and nearly 40yrs ols

Anne58 Thu 13-Aug-15 21:57:03

If you have a look on Amazon (or similar) you can get a quality A - Z index book that is not an address book. I can never remember if the brand is called Red & Black or Black & Red!

(I have just got one for work as I needed an index format but not address layout, ordered a cheaper one initially, but although it was indexed the pages were lined in grids like graph paper, why? confused )

ninathenana Thu 13-Aug-15 22:07:08

durhamjen I hadn't considered that large print would be for those with poor eyesight. As apposed to simply larger than original. An error on my behalf not yours.

durhamjen Thu 13-Aug-15 22:16:09

Thanks, phoenix. I'll look for that.
I used an address book because I had two spare for some reason. They are A5 size, so quite a decent size, and the writing is very pale so not intrusive. But they are not ideal. A new dictionary would be a good idea for a new year.
I did not realise when it started that he would be so keen on writing his own dictionary. However, he quite often tells me other words I could use instead of the ones I do, which is very encouraging.
As a family, we do try and get him not to correct other people!

You'll know what I mean, then, Aggie, about the size of the print. My grandson is autistic, so we try to encourage him to read as much as possible without putting print obstacles in his way.

Which tearoom, Tegan? We have been to Masham for a day out occasionally; Middleham is even closer. We like the castle there.

Anne58 Fri 14-Aug-15 09:46:18

There a few choices too, wire bound, casebound, A5, A4. The paper quality is excellent (90gsm) and has a a lovely silky feel. Well worth the extra money, IMO

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/279-3971111-0062223?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=red+%26+black+a4+index+book&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ared+%26+black+a4+index+book

I have a bit of a thing about Black & Red notebooks blush

durhamjen Fri 14-Aug-15 11:46:16

I can tell!
Actually, I've just remembered the other reason I use the books I do. It's because they are loose leaf, ring binder ones. Some of the letters have run out of pages already in the first book, so we just add pages from the second book.
I'll have a look at the Black and Red ones to see if there are any similar.