Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Little Boy Lost- Marghanita laski

(6 Posts)
GrandmaH Fri 21-Aug-15 14:10:57

This little gem of a book was recommended to me by our librarian for our Reading Group. It was written in 1949 & then faded into oblivion until Persephone discovered it & re-printed it.
Without giving anything away it is the story of an English man who looks for his young son- born during the war to his French wife ( who was killed by Germans).
It is a wonderful story which will that both move & challenge you.
Quite a short book & I confess I was so captivated by it that I read it in one (quite long) sitting on a sunbed in the garden on that hot day we had this summer!
Can't wait to see what the rest of the group makes of it at next meeting.
A really good story which will make you think long afterwards.

annsixty Fri 21-Aug-15 14:36:29

I read this book so many years ago I can't remember just when but I can recall it's impact when I read it. It is a wonderful story and to this day I remember the actual end which is not something I can often say. I am sure your book club will be enchanted by it.

merlotgran Fri 21-Aug-15 15:07:02

I haven't read the book but the thread title had me scratching my head because I recognised the author's name but couldn't think where from.

I've just googled her and now I remember her TV panellist days.....What's My Line in particular.

Stansgran Fri 21-Aug-15 18:50:59

Oh a wonderful book. My daughter had/ has a white teddy bear that book made me feel how important some soft toys are to some children. A poem of a book. I love getting the latest Persephone catalogue and crossing off a few more.

Eloethan Fri 21-Aug-15 23:31:04

That name has brought back some memories. My Dad always used to watch Brains Trust on TV and Marghanita Laski was often on it. I'm sure I would find the programme very interesting now but as an 8/9 year old I thought it was a crashing bore.

The book sounds very interesting and I'll try and get a copy.

Liz46 Sun 23-Aug-15 07:56:02

Thanks for recommending this book. I checked online and our local library had it so I read it yesterday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is an unusual book and it was good to read something different.