Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Sheila Hancock: Just Me.......

(15 Posts)
Luckygirl Tue 15-Sep-15 11:05:45

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002R88G3G/ref=s9_hps_bw_g351_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=1RMPQCM376JKW360AFNK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=590674847&pf_rd_i=5400977031

........is among the kindle daily deals for £1.19. I wondered if it might be of particular interest to those who are facing life alone, as that is what the book is about. The story is about how she moved on after the death of her husband, and how she is finding ways to build a single life and enjoy herself. I have downloaded it - it has good reviews, and I enjoyed her previous book - she writes well.

mariann Tue 15-Sep-15 15:56:49

I wonder. I read Miss Carter's war which also had 4 stars but it bored me and I didn't finish it.
Still its cheap on Kindle so I might download it

annsixty Tue 15-Sep-15 16:17:09

I do not like her writing and if I am being frank I find her hard to like at all. The fact that the book is called Just Me says it all really, and that is not kind of me as I don't know her just a feeling I get about some people blush

numberplease Tue 15-Sep-15 16:24:56

I like Sheila Hancock, and I was looking at this book on Amazon this morning, trying to build up a package of books to order, seeing as my stocks are getting very low, so I think I`ll be ordering this, but a used copy, for £2.

Deedaa Thu 17-Sep-15 21:46:36

I read this several years ago because I had so enjoyed The Two of Us. It was just after DH had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and I found it very helpful in marshalling my thoughts and deciding how we were going to handle the whole thing.

Luckygirl Sun 27-Sep-15 11:19:27

I am part way through this now and cannot put it down. Her writing is fluent and very readable, and her choice of poems is excellent. I feel sure it would be a useful read for anyone experiencing widowhood.

loopylou Sun 27-Sep-15 12:39:58

Sheila Hancock is very different in real life, I met her several years ago;can't say more or will 'out' myself.

grannylyn65 Sun 27-Sep-15 12:42:29

That sounds intriguing !!shock

Elrel Sun 27-Sep-15 13:59:17

Very intriguing as her autobiographical writing is so human and appealing. Tough woman too of course.
Sometimes I ask cab drivers about who they've met. One had carried Michael Palin and I enthusiatically asked 'Ooh, is he as nice as he seems on tv?' He turned round to look at me, with a serious expression, and said 'No' -pause- 'He's even nicer!' No feet of clay there then, what a relief!

loopylou Sun 27-Sep-15 16:59:30

Oh, I meant she is so kind, funny and really lovely!

loopylou Sun 27-Sep-15 17:01:00

I was slow to answer annsixty blush

Luckygirl Sun 27-Sep-15 17:14:02

I am enjoying the book and think that it might be helpful to people. I am not really interested in how she might be in real life - it is what comes across in the book that matters, and that the content is likely to be helpful to those left on their own. That is what "Just Me" refers to - being widowed and learning to live a solo life. It is not a declaration of unfettered egoism!

absentgrandma Sun 27-Sep-15 17:40:28

I've just finished'Just Me' having downloaded it after reading Luckygirls recommendation. The title didn't strike me as egotistical at all... after a book about her life as one of a pair, 'Just Me' is highly appropriate. Much as I would loathe a guided tour holiday, I would have loved to have been on one with her. Bet she was a complete anarchist. ..... dawdling, looking at things not on the schedule, asking awkward questions. What a strong woman she seems to be.

Treebee Sun 27-Sep-15 21:29:31

I loved reading The Two of Us and Just Me. Sheila first piqued my interest in the Quakers.
But I didn't like her novel Miss Carter's War. It read like a story hitched to a sociological essay. Shame.

Elrel Sun 27-Sep-15 23:30:24

Oh, thanks, loopylou! I misunderstood and was trying to adjust to your having found her less pleasant IRL! So pleased that she is one of the good guys!