Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Real book or kindle???

(40 Posts)
Antjexix Fri 09-Oct-15 18:52:03

My husband got me a kindle last christmas and although I find it very handy when going on holiday,I prefer to read a "real book". I feel abit guilty about it as I know it wasn't cheap. Going Christmas shopping with DD a couple of days ago (I know,I'm ever so organized) ,we went into Waterstones and I was like a child in a sweet shop. Am I being old fashioned??

daffydil Sat 10-Oct-15 13:42:33

I agree there is room for both but sometimes Kindle is really worth having. A couple of months ago most of Jane Duncan's, previously out of print books in the My Friend series were re-issued mainly I think for the e-book market. The Kindle costs around £4while the paperback is £12. As I would like to re-read them all the Kindle ones will save a lot of money.
Also any e-book I buy is automatically also put on my iPad which is great for cookery books.

nannymoocow Sun 11-Oct-15 10:44:46

Real books every time for me!

mrsmopp Sun 11-Oct-15 23:04:11

My son bought me a Kindle last Christmas and I was delighted. I promptly downloaded lots of free classics as well as various others I had always intended to read. Guess what - i never look at the kindle - i went straight back to books. I can't give a reason why as I have surprised myself, but I am a bookworm not a kindle worm. I just dont like it.

Indinana Mon 12-Oct-15 00:02:21

I too love that I can carry my Kindle in my handbag so easily, but I never worry if I forget it because I've always got my iPhone with me and I make sure my current books are downloaded to it, so I just read that if I'm waiting around for someone or something

Antjexix Mon 12-Oct-15 07:31:28

I am the same mrsmopp and then I feel a little guilty as it was a present,I just don't enjoy reading on it as much as when I hold a proper book.

mcem Mon 12-Oct-15 07:51:14

I'm happy to have both but the kindle which fits in the handbag is a blessing for the 45 min bus journey I take several times a week to help with Dgcs.
Once or twice I've forgotten to pick up reading specs on the way out and that's a real problem with a book or newspaper. With the kindle I simply enlarge the text and carry on reading although of course it means 'turning the page ' more often!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 10:19:06

I seem to be going back to books. You see the title and the author each time you pick it up for one thing.

And the Home page on the kindle gets messy. All those books you.bought but will never really want to read. Or will turn out to be rubbish. And I can never get "Remove from device" to work.

whitewave Mon 12-Oct-15 10:34:21

Kindles are useful no doubt about that, but honestly books seem to have a relationship with you somehowhmm

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 12:02:28

True.

grannyactivist Mon 12-Oct-15 12:19:49

No preference, both are wonderful in different ways. I used to take virtually no spare clothes with me on holiday because my suitcase was full of books - now, there's no problem as I simply take my kindle and iPad.

One thing of note though; with one exception my children are all avid readers. Last Christmas I bought a kindle for the one who wasn't a keen reader, and truth to tell it was only at the end of August that it even got registered, such was the lack of interest! However, it was finally registered in August in order to be taken on holiday and now I have a reading convert who rarely puts it down! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 12-Oct-15 13:43:18

That's really good to know ga. Especially with Christmas coming. DGS2 loves his "screen". (for games and funny videos on You Tube hmm) An alternative from the usual would be worth a try. Great idea. smile

rosesarered Mon 12-Oct-15 15:39:46

Love both, about half and half. still love book shops though, and buy paperbacks regularly.

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Oct-15 01:37:55

I don't get so much time to read these days so probably would never get round to a book.

I download free books onto my kindle and they pass the time in doctor/hospital waiting rooms! I also read several on holiday last year but am not likely to go again until (maybe) next year.

BIG bonus with the kindle is definitely enlarging the print size which makes reading so much easier.

Mamie Tue 13-Oct-15 08:05:08

I love my Kindle and living abroad, it is a real lifeline. I love finding a book, downloading it and starting to read in minutes. We have several thousand books and I do re-read them, but very rarely buy a new book these days. We have boxes of books to get rid of and find it hard to get anyone to take them so I am reluctant to buy more.
Jingl, you need to set up some categories on Kindle to store the books. I have fiction, non-fiction, crime and biography as files, put books I have read into these and keep current reads / unread on the front page. Easy!