Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Old favourites

(36 Posts)
NotTooOld Tue 13-Oct-15 12:40:10

I've also re-read Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole books a few times. They always make me laugh. I'd love to have met Sue T.

rosesarered Mon 12-Oct-15 22:43:18

Oh yes, definitely Diary Of A Nobody, wonderful! think I have read it about ten times at least.
others, hmmmn, Dickens,Austen, and Alan Coren's short stories.

stillhere Mon 12-Oct-15 22:35:32

Lord of the Rings for me, too. Also Elizabeth Goudge, HE Bates (although not the Darling Buds of May books, I like his books about his garden) Laurie Lee, Philip Pullman, Saki's short stories, a few others but not many. I am not good at re-reading, I only hang on to books I really love.

Leticia Mon 12-Oct-15 22:23:43

And Jane Eyre

Leticia Mon 12-Oct-15 22:22:49

Jane Austin, Miss Pettigrew Lives for Day by Winifred Watson, Anything by Margaret Forster, - or if want real escapism Regency Romances by Georgette Heyer.

annodomini Mon 12-Oct-15 22:13:46

Iain M Banks - sci fi which needs to be re-read to be understood as it's so involved. Also his alter ego, Iain Banks. Prefer JA's Persuasion to her other novels, though they all bear re-reading.

NotTooOld Mon 12-Oct-15 21:20:52

Diary of a Nobody by the Grossmiths. It's truly hilarious however many times I read it. I've also just re-read On Chesil Beach but I can't remember who wrote it. It's excellent and very sad - very evocative of the 1950s.

whitewave Mon 12-Oct-15 21:14:30

Jane Austin, Miss Read, Bill Bryson, Christmas Carol (every Xmas), The Cazelets - although sort of gone of the author since hearing her biography - identical to the novels! Also re-read Betjaman essays about England. Used to like , but don't re-read any more Dickens and Hardy.
Really I have a favourite until the next one!!!!

grumppa Mon 12-Oct-15 21:11:39

Dickens, Austen, Proust, Arthur Ransome, in no particular order.

Antjexix Mon 12-Oct-15 20:31:02

Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice or anything by Lesley Pearse. I used to love Martina Cole but gone off her,I fiind all the bad language in it boring and all the books seem the same. Also I have seen her in an interview and did not like her at all. DD has just discovered Nicholas Sparks.

apricot Mon 12-Oct-15 19:42:17

What do you go back to when you've got nothing new to read?
I happily re-read all the old classics and read The Lord of the Rings every year or two.
It's good to go back to something you really enjoyed the first time, I've recently re-read Life of Pi, We Need to Talk about Kevin and Sarum.
Some books I thought fantastic but I can't bear to read again, like Cormac McCarthy's, because they are so harrowing.