Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Victoria Heslop

(19 Posts)
Lavande Mon 15-Feb-16 20:38:52

My sister thought I would like to borrow her signed copy of Victoria Hislop's novel, The Island? set in Greece. I gave up half way through as it just did not hold my attention. I was also wanted to return the book unblemished to its owner as soon as possible.

Has anyone read any of Elena Ferrante's novels? Several years ago, I selected one of her novels at random from the library, enjoyed it, read another and then lost track of the author.

More recently, her novels have become widely reviewed and highly praised. These are the four Neapolitan novels, translated from Italian and all four are waiting for me to read.

They have been on my wish list for ages, but I went ahead and purchased them because they were obviously selling well and not reducing in price. Secondly, I read that the novels are in line to be serialised on one of the TV channels. I want to use my own imagination, rather than a director's idea of the characters, hence the purchase.

Craftycat Mon 15-Feb-16 18:37:02

My reading group love her but I find too manyverrors in her books. Admitedly I know Greek Islands well and speak the language (badly) but it annoys me when there are blatant mistakes. She needs a good editor.

TerriBull Fri 12-Feb-16 10:57:40

I have only read one Victoria Hislop book, The Thread, which I enjoyed. This book was about the upheaval between Greece and Asia Minor in the early part of the 20th century and how that played out over the decades. I thought she depicted events well, but imo there was no comparison between that and another inter generational book I read about a Greek family who left Asia Minor in the 1920s for America, not as lightweight, a more entertaining read and a classic, Middlesex, A Pulitzer Prizewinner by Jeffrey Eugeniedes. Nevertheless, I would quite like to read "The Sunrise", although I wouldn't say her books would be among my "must reads"

Indinana Fri 12-Feb-16 10:28:54

coffeecup if you like stories set in Greece, then Leah Fleming's Girl Under The Olive Tree should appeal, as it's set in Crete. It's about a girl who spent time there as a nurse during the German occupation in WW2. It starts in the present time, with the protagonist in her 80's, then goes back to 1941 as she reminisces after her niece suggests a return trip there to celebrate her 85th birthday. I can thoroughly recommend it.

coffecup Fri 12-Feb-16 10:21:42

Thanks for all the messages i must admit i like her because she is a light read and i have been to Greece quite often and Cyprus will try some of the other author suggested .Thanks

Indinana Fri 12-Feb-16 10:10:19

I agree with you J52 about Douglas Kennedy - I've read most of his books and have never been disappointed.

Indinana Fri 12-Feb-16 10:09:16

When I want a an easy, light read Victoria Hislop's books fit the bill. Nothing special, but a fairly decent storyteller. A similar author is Leah Fleming. I read and enjoyed The Girl Under The Olive Tree and I have The Postcard on my Kindle waiting to be read. Another one is Kate Atkinson, though Life After Life is best avoided in my opinion smile
One of my favourite authors is Jojo Moyes. She really brings her characters to life - The Girl You Left Behind is really special.
I really wish Mary-Rose MacColl was a more prolific writer - there are only four of her books on Amazon, three of which were written several years ago and are very expensive. The fourth, In Falling Snow, was written only 3 years ago and is without doubt one of the best books I've read recently.

trisher Fri 12-Feb-16 09:58:32

A lot of condemnation - she's a good holiday read, not likely to win any awards and certainly not what might be termed a "literary writer' but I think she probably knows this. Her books deal with holiday destinations so something to take away with you . Just finished "The Sunrise" about Cyprus.
If you want good writing try Alice Munro. I enjoy Anne Tyler and Anita Shreve. And if there is anyone who hasn't discovered her yet there is Margaret Attwood (like A. Munro a Canadian writer). Just don't start with the Oryx and Crayck series!

annodomini Fri 12-Feb-16 09:50:52

If you want to read about the subject matter of The Thread, from the Turkish side of the migration, I recommend Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres.

annodomini Fri 12-Feb-16 09:48:51

I'd sum her up as a good researcher but a mediocre writer. I thought The Return was the worst, having such an improbable plot and characters but the detail about the Spanish Civil War was interesting.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Feb-16 09:26:48

I've only read The Thread and was underwhelmed, but most of my reading group enjoyed it. I agree with you about Anne Tyler, J52 - I just love her style of writing.

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Feb-16 09:25:30

I tried reading "The Return" by her. Considering she is supposed to be an Oxbridge graduate her writing style in that book was dreadful.

In the end I scanned a page of it and put it though a Microsoft "word" grammar and reading age checker and it came out as a reading age of 14 to 15 yrs. It read like an Enid Blyton book.

Now Anne Tyler is a delight. She has a way of making the most ordinary people interesting to hear about.

J52 Fri 12-Feb-16 09:14:37

Anne Tyler is a great storyteller and her books have more depth than Victoria Hislop. They are set in America, which might not appeal to some.

I enjoy Douglas Kennedy's books. He has various themes and they are set in a variety of places and time scales.

X

joannapiano Fri 12-Feb-16 09:13:44

I found her books to be OK, nothing more. The ones I have read are all set in Greece.

Teetime Fri 12-Feb-16 09:01:25

No as you were wife - don't like the books but if your husband is famous its easy to get published. Old cynic!

Teetime Fri 12-Feb-16 09:00:25

His sister.

Alea Fri 12-Feb-16 08:10:49

Sadly not impressed by Victoria Hislop. Liked "The Island" but while perhaps a good holiday read, not great

rubylady Fri 12-Feb-16 05:36:16

I'm awaiting a novel from Sue Watson, Love, Lies and Lemon Cake. I've never had any of hers yet but I needed a good book to take on a Spring break next month. I do hope it is good.

I've not read any of Victoria Heslop's neither. Is she good? She's Ian's wife, isn't she? How did he get her, lol. grin

coffecup Thu 11-Feb-16 10:37:44

I eagerly await her novels and can also reread her, i wonder if any other forum members can recomend a similar author