Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Shutm

(5 Posts)
Victoria08 Mon 18-Apr-16 11:57:52

I have just read the above book by Jem Lester.

Such an emotional roller coaster.

Had no idea autistic children could be so difficult to look after.

I was especially moved by the testimony Ben gave in court, speaking for Jonah and what it is like for him on a daily basis. What an eye opener.

This book will stay in my mind forever.

Thank you.

Victoria08 Mon 18-Apr-16 11:58:53

Oops. Spelt the title wrong.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Apr-16 13:53:19

Hi Victoria - there's another thread here on the book if you'd like to leave your thoughts on there! smile

rosesarered Mon 18-Apr-16 14:39:52

will have a look at this book thanks. Victoria

grandMattie Fri 22-Apr-16 12:25:54

I am finding this a rather difficult read. On one hand, it is very funny and tender, on the other the situation is insuperable.
One of my young friends, a single mother, has an ASD son, but he is high functioning Asperger's'. Nevertheless she encounters many similar problems to Ben and Jonah with the various government agencies; and no end of problems with the secondary school he goes to. We have the 11+ and he sailed through, but the grammar school he has been sent to, supposedly an "autistic-friendly" school, can't deal with his many anxieties and his self-harming etc. It is a dreadful situation for her to find herself in.
She also has had breast cancer and has to face her early demise - what to do with the boy? Will he be able to look after himself in adulthood? should she appoint guardian/s for him? how much will he be able to cope with? all unanswerable questions at the moment.