Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Miss Read books

(85 Posts)
bartonlady Thu 28-Apr-16 22:01:24

How I love these books! I know Miss Read is not to everyone's taste, but having read them all can anyone recommend similar titles/authors please.

Juggernaut Fri 29-Apr-16 11:11:40

Luckygirl
No-one in their thirties ever borrowed a Miss Read book from the City Central Library where I worked, or if they did, I'm certain I didn't serve them!
In fact if memory serves, her readers were almost all well over fifty.
At least they weren't reading the waste of paper and ink that makes up a Mills and Boon!

Refugeefromthestorm Fri 29-Apr-16 11:20:01

I don't really belong here as I am not yet a gran (my children are 12 and 10) but I have loved Miss Read books for much of my life. Probably first read them in my 20s or even earlier grin

Lowery1960 Fri 29-Apr-16 11:39:34

Love miss read and have quite a collection she has got me through some stressful times and takes you back to a romantic easier time! Fanciful I know try Rebecca shaw books there great too.

tubbygran Fri 29-Apr-16 11:50:56

I love the Miss Read books and Lilian Beckwith. I can remember reading The Hills is Lonely whilst I was in labour with my first daughter!
Have you tried Rosamund Pilcher? My favourites of hers are September and The Shell Seekers.

SueDoku Fri 29-Apr-16 12:04:05

I love the Miss Read books and have most of them (falling apart now, but still a lovely read). You might like another favourite of mine - the Cazelet chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard. There are 5 in the series and they follow a large extended family from the 1930s through the Second World War. Also, although they're old, have you tried the James Herriot books such as 'All Creatures Great and Small'?

stillhere Fri 29-Apr-16 12:12:25

juggernaut I started reading them when I was only 20! I had just got married and moved to a large town. I so missed my rural life, that I haunted the 'country living' section of the big library. Miss Read, along with books on how to identify mushrooms and thatch a roof, kept me sane during those years of night noises of police cars and ambulances and inconsiderate neighbours playing radios in their gardens. So, yes to Lillian Beckwith, Gervaise Phinn, the vet stories, and many, many memoirs of people buying smallholdings, in search of the Good Life. Miss Read was the first one I picked up, though so will never be forgotten. My very first small village school was much like hers.

LizzieMay Fri 29-Apr-16 12:30:14

I remember reading about an interview with the late Paula Yates many years ago where she said that she loved the Miss Read books.
I read my first one when I was about 20 and have now read them all several times as I just love them.
DE Stevenson is another favourite of mine.
I will have a look in the local library and charity shops for the other authors mentioned on here.

vintage1950 Fri 29-Apr-16 12:50:48

This isn't about country life but everyone I know loves it: Period Piece by Gwen Raverat. It's about her childhood in Cambridge during the 1880s and 90s (she was a granddaughter of Charles Darwin) and is sharply observed and often very funny; it has her own illustrations. It's easy to read when you can't concentrate. Also Molly Hughes' trilogy of memoirs of her life in London and Cornwall in the 1880s and 1890s.

bonji Fri 29-Apr-16 13:25:50

You might like the Burracombe series by Lilian Harry. These are set in a village in Devon and the series starts depicting a time just after the Second World War. My local library in Suffolk seems to have them all so assume they are still in print. I bought the complete Lilian Beckwith series for a fiver on EBay as they are my real 'comfort read'.

SueDonim Fri 29-Apr-16 13:56:00

My mum introduced me to the books in the adult library with the Miss Read books. I adored them. They're often available cheaply as a collection on the Book People website.

Similar but a bit meatier are the Christine Marion Fraser books, set in Scotland. The Rhanna books are wonderful. I think they may be out of print but are available second hand and on Kindle via Amazon. www.amazon.co.uk/Christine-Marion-Fraser/e/B001HOY1CQ

Cosafina Fri 29-Apr-16 14:13:27

I've never heard of Miss Read, but will certainly be looking out to read some of these.

I went through a phase a few years back where I just wanted to read a book where nothing happened. And then I stumbled on Barbara Pym and was absolutely delighted by the fact that nothing happened - yet it was full of excitement and intrigue in the protagonist's head: a woman of a certain age involved in her small London parish.

Highly recommended smile

Tegan Fri 29-Apr-16 14:28:42

I like Rosamund Pilcher books, even though the characters in her books feel as if they've fallen on hard times if they're down to only one servant.

oldie730 Fri 29-Apr-16 14:34:26

Miss Read, Lilian Beckwith, am quite nostalgic. Read them all, some Miss Read several times when couldn't find anything better in the library. I also enjoyed the Jalna series by Mazo de la Roche. I think it was a series on TV back in the days of black and white.

bartonlady Fri 29-Apr-16 16:38:39

Thank you to all for your suggestions! I'm certainly going to follow them up. The recent death of Victoria Wood reminded me of the Nella Last series of 3 books (Housewife 49) wonderfully evocative! Thank you all again

peaceatlast Fri 29-Apr-16 17:08:23

I've only just read her Christmas stories which I enjoyed but, feeling that I needed a break from them for a while, I have been reading Barbara Pym's Excellent Women which I can't put down. They're not really similar except that they are 'gentle' books. Can't take too much excitement at my age, lol.

peaceatlast Fri 29-Apr-16 17:14:27

When I finish Excellent Women I have Good Behaviour by Molly Keane lined up. I think it's important to try different authors and will definitely be looking for some of the suggestions in this thread.

Jane10 Fri 29-Apr-16 17:23:35

Ooh 'Good Behaviour ' is one of my favourites! Social comedy at its best. If you like that sort of thing the EFBenson, Mapp and Lucia ones are fabulous. Bitchy small town life in the 20s - wonderful (but not exactly Miss Read)
RC Sheriff's book 'A Fortnight in September' runs at a very slow pace but is exquisite. Its a day by day story of a small family's annual holiday. I loved it.

auntbett Fri 29-Apr-16 17:33:59

I read the Miss Read books in my early 20s. They definitely influenced a decision to move to a village location. Deluded!

Lillie Fri 29-Apr-16 17:47:16

Ooo yes, I read the books in my 30s and found them rather twee - a bit along the lines of Jane Austen. I enjoyed the school collection; daily life seemed so simple in those days in an idyllic country setting.

Auntieflo Fri 29-Apr-16 17:56:08

Memories keep coming back. Norah Lofts wrote a lovely trilogy, set in Suffolk starting with The Town House, then, The House at Old Vine, and finally The House at Sunset. Worth looking out for.

harrysgran Fri 29-Apr-16 18:11:32

Loved reading them many years ago so gentle and light hearted I'm going to look on my kindle for one I always found them very calming and that's exactly what I'm in need of.

mcculloch29 Fri 29-Apr-16 18:15:50

Another Miss Read fan here. Dora Saint, the author behind 'Miss Read' only died a few years ago.

I loved as a child - and still love - the Punchbowl Farm stories of Monica Edwards. Set on a farm that really exists, near Hindhead in Surrey, and written in the early Fifties to the mid Sixties. They were republished a few years ago by a publishing company called Girls Gone By, who publish many stories by Forties/Fifties/Sixties children's authors. Snapped up by nostalgic adults, including me.

There's also a very good biography of Monica available as well as companion books to both the Punchbowl Farm stories and Monica's Romney Marsh series of books, which cross over to the Punchbowl series with some of the characters from one series appearing in the other. Several of the characters were based on Monica's own children, Shelley and Sean.

peaceatlast Fri 29-Apr-16 18:19:52

Thanks, Jane10. More to explore. Having lots of problems with my eyes just now - how awful it would be to have to cut down on my reading. I'm into buying my books at the moment, usually from Amazon used books. Starting to collect the VMC Designer Collection - the covers are beautiful.

GrammaH Fri 29-Apr-16 19:17:31

Thanks oldie730! As I started reading these posts, I was wracking my brains for the name Jalna & Mazo de la Roche. How I loved those books, featuring Rennie & Finch! I read both them & the Miss Read books in my mid teens - 40 or so years later, maybe it's time to re-visit them

bartonlady Fri 29-Apr-16 19:40:54

Oh how lovely to find like minded readers! I've just finished Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson...quite wonderful!
Thank you again for all your recommendations and reminding me of books I've enjoyed in the past and want now to re-read!