Gransnet forums

Books/book club

June book club - The Essex Serpent

(62 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 01-Jun-16 11:04:47

We know that winners of the books have now got their copies. Those who've won a copy for their e-readers will be getting an email very shortly with instructions of how to download it.

And we are looking forward to reading all your comments and questions for the author on this thread.

For those who'd like more information about this month's book, you can find it right HERE

Nandee Thu 19-Oct-17 13:10:16

Also had problems downloading my prize so bought the book. It has taken me a while to read it as I had a family bereavement and for a while couldn't concentrate on reading. However really enjoyed the story very evocative of Dickens and Victorian age with Darwin debate etc

TerriBull Mon 25-Sep-17 10:01:13

I found it a perfectly readable, mildly interesting, just didn't get the hype that surrounded it. Quite good without being anything special imo.

Mapleleaf Mon 25-Sep-17 09:10:22

I didn't win a copy of this book, but downloaded one onto my kindle as the reviews sounded promising. I read it to the end, but it was slow going at times. I found the book disappointing and the writing style felt wrong, as Oriel says, both in terms of prose and of how relationships would have been conducted and described in novels of that period.
It's not a book I feel compelled to read again, sadly.

JaneLewis1 Mon 25-Sep-17 06:04:21

A great book.

I love reading about the Victorian period, how people taught themselves, how it was a great age for discoverers and explorers, and for early scientists. Ideas about evolution had interested everybody, and were often discussed. Amateur collectors and people interested in Natural History were respectable. This book captures this world excellently.

There is the doctor who publishes his amateur medical research; there is the country vicar who is an active collector, and the emancipated female fossil collector.,

This reads like a Victorian novel, also. I picture the tall ceilings and wooden floors where the children played.

There is a love story here, and plenty of mystery.

Oriel Wed 30-Aug-17 10:58:50

The best thing about this book for me was the cover. I didn't enjoy it at all, so much so that I didn't finish it.

I found the characters unlikeable and unconvincing. I didn't feel that the author captured the period - somehow the relationships seemed too modern, as was the prose. I thought it would have been an interesting read... the tensions between religion and science in Victorian England sounded promising - sadly it wasn't. I found I whole plot slow and uninteresting.

moleswife Wed 30-Aug-17 09:53:01

I had this book passed on to me with the wish I should "see what you think". I have to say it was magnificent in setting the place - an area that was much loved by me as a small child. There were a number of characters that I wanted to know more about and, as a result, found them unconvincing. It was, however, well written and enjoyable.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Jul-16 10:53:23

We send over the questions that get to us in time...though on this occasion it was 99% comments and only one or two questions so tricky to send the usual list. If there are more perhaps let us have them and we can see what we can do

GeminiJen Mon 11-Jul-16 08:00:08

A quick query, as this is only the second time I've taken part in the monthly book club.
We were asked to put questions to the author. Will these be responded to?
Thanks!

Frannygranny Wed 06-Jul-16 16:32:23

Sorry I missed the deadline but it took me ages to get through it. I'm sorry to say I didn't find it easy to read.

EllenMay Mon 04-Jul-16 17:13:59

I have not found this an easy book to read, hence the late review. It felt quite disjointed and I struggled to keep track of the various threads, made more difficult by the fact that I didn't feel as if I really got to know any of the characters - I was continually having to pause and check who some of them were.Technically, this was well written but was not, for me, a compelling read. I would be interested to know which were Sarah Perry's favourite characters and why.

boo2410 Sun 03-Jul-16 22:32:44

Eventually managed to download this book - thank you very much. Completely enjoyed it, particularly the housing back then having been a housing officer for 20 odd years. And no for the record I've never known anybody to be evicted for an untidy garden! A Judge where I am would never give an Order for that. Anyway back to the story, as others have said it is very atmospheric. Particularly the beginning when he is at the waters edge. It immediately drew me into the book which I always think is a good thing. Thank you again for the download, sorry the review is a bit late!

EastEndGranny Sun 03-Jul-16 11:03:38

I also found it a little difficult to get into but found it easier as I read on. Interesting things happened, characterisation was good and the Essex Sepant idea was intriguing and did make me want to read on. Did find the ending fizzled out a little but mostly enjoyable.

Annie29 Sat 02-Jul-16 11:40:31

Thank you for my copy,I could not download it to start with but was successful in the end.
I enjoyed learning more about Victorian life.
Sorry did not find it an easy book to read.

GrannyGlyn Fri 01-Jul-16 17:06:09

I have just finished this book. I am jealous of the Gransneters who received an actual book, I was one of the people who had trouble downloading it to Kindle and was sent a copy by email. My Kindle decided it was a document and always took me back to the beginning every time I opened it. Very frustrating!
However, it did mean that once I started to read, I was reluctant to put it down!
Not my usual genre. I enjoyed the detailed and descriptive nature of the writing. I'm not sure that the characters held my interest as much as they should have, almost like they drifted along to their conclusions. Interaction seemed more likely to be by letter rather than face to face (or was that the Victorian way?)
Thank you for the opportunity to read it.

gma Fri 01-Jul-16 11:29:41

I was too late to apply for copy of 'The Essex Serpent" but was intrigued by the story! THe author, Sarah Perry ,lives in Norwich so there has been much publicity in local book shops and local press, and I was hooked....literally!!!
What a fantastic read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Late Victorian morals and social problems seem so relevant now. I was fascinated by the relationship between Will and Cora, and Frankie and Stella. The vivid descriptions of the countryside and waterways really enthralled me, as did the disturbing descriptions of slum dwelling In London, It is so evident that an enormous of research went into producing this brilliant novel.Well done Sarah Perry,and I am about to start 'After me comes the flood' her first novel

Pittcity Fri 01-Jul-16 09:06:51

I have just finished this book and, like others, found it hard going at times.
I have lived in Colchester for over a decade and recognised a lot of the settings. Both the George and The Red Lion are still thriving hotels. I had to look up St Nicholas Church and found that it was demolished in the early 50s to make way for ugly modern shops. The earthquake is a much talked about piece of local history.
I believe Aldwinter is fictional but typical of parts of the Blackwater estuary, I could believe that a creature could be lurking out there,
I was drawn in by the 'will they, won't they' story of Cora and Will and was interested in the medical history. But I didn't get very excited by any of the other characters as I don't think any were dealt with with enough depth.

cazthebookworm Fri 01-Jul-16 08:35:41

I have struggled to read this right from the beginning, and it didn't get any easier. Too wordy for a start. The references to Mary Anning made me compare it to Tracy Chevalier's book Remarkable Creature, which was far more readable, set with a similar theme and in same era. Sorry, although she has obviously done a great deal of research, it was not for me.

Happygran65 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:45:48

This story is set in the Victorian period. It is an unusual and interesting novel and I enjoyed it very much. I particularly liked the style in which it was written. I have only just finished it on the deadline. Thank you for sending me the ebook version, I did have trouble downloading it but it was worth the effort.

baNANAGran3 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:22:53

To be honest, I just didn't get the book read this month which sounds crazy but its true. A combination of not starting it until far to late due to having just started another one when it arrived, family duties, busy days and not being able to keep awake at night when I do most of my reading - must try harder!
Thank you for the really lovely looking book though, it's been on my bedside table and I've admired it every day. Going on hols in a week and it's going with me! Thank you again.

mumofmadboys Thu 30-Jun-16 07:45:34

Thank you for this book. The dust cover is lovely I agree. I found it hard to get into and I think I would have given up if I hadn't been given a copy to review. I didn't feel I got to know the characters although Francis was well portrayed. It did give an insight into life in Victorian times but overall I am sorry but I wouldn't recommend it.

jammy388 Wed 29-Jun-16 19:00:20

I have found the book very atmospheric and have enjoyed being transported to another place and time with interesting and sympathetic characters. The exploration of the tensions between religion, science and superstition is fascinating too.

grumppa Wed 29-Jun-16 09:47:35

Having finished the book a day or so after my previous post, I found that my enjoyment had somewhat tailed off. Not sure why, but the fact that the letters came as a relief suggests that it was the style that grated at times.

A bit like a Julian Barnes novel: to be admired more than enjoyed.

kyalami Tue 28-Jun-16 23:09:07

A well written descriptive novel. An unusual storyline which I'm afraid didn't give me a 'can't put it down' feeling. I enjoyed it in that the characters were interesting. I was particularly amused by Francis, as I have an autistic son, his funny little ways made me smile. As has been said before the author has researched very thoroughly every aspect of the story from the location, you could almost feel you were there, to the difficulties and traits of the characters. The era in which the story was set and the social happens therein. I usually like historical novels but although I would not criticise the excellent writing, the story for me fell a bit flat. Thank you for the opportunity of having read it.

emmasnan Tue 28-Jun-16 21:23:57

When I first started this book I thought I would really enjoy it all but a few chapters in and I was waiting for something to happen that would make me want to keep turning the pages. I had to make an effort to carry on reading and it did begin to get my interest again.
I loved the cover design.

oznan Mon 27-Jun-16 10:09:51

Thank you for the e book,which I found interesting rather than hugely enjoyable.An excellent depiction of Victorian times and life,with strong women characters,it examines the nature of love and friendship well.The political themes echo down the years to the present day and remind us that the same problems still exist.The fear of the serpent seems a little fantastical in this modern world but don't we have our own "serpents" in one form or another?There will always be something to fear.
However,the book was not a page turner for me and I thought that the characters were not well-rounded enough.That said,Frankie's autistic nature was well portrayed.Sarah Perry's research was meticulous,which added a real sense of the Victorian era.