Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Good reads please.

(108 Posts)
Anya Tue 16-Aug-16 08:07:44

I'm out of action for the next 6+ weeks due to two broken arms. I can't drive, swim, walk the dogs, cook, shop, garden, etc. and I'd go stir crazy if I didn't have my kindle.

I can hold it for about 10 minutes before my arms ache but it's getting more each day.

So looking for suggestions for good reads. I'll read almost anything,except chick flick and spy novels. Preferably I'd like to,discover an author I've not tried before, but please .....all suggestions very welcome sunshine

Mamie Tue 16-Aug-16 16:18:16

The Seamstress by Maria Duenas. One of my favourite books.
The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard.

Margsus Tue 16-Aug-16 16:33:08

Oh poor you Anya, get well soon.

I was very surprised at how much I have enjoyed Richard Madeley's books, and can highly recommend them.

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 16:33:31

Sorry to hear of your terribly inconvenient predicament Anya. I find Radio 4 a great companion and you can download a lot of their series and fiction. May be good for laying back and listening, easier than propping up a kindle or book! I endorse Kate Morton as an author and her book called the Kashmir Shawl is a wonder.

Mildred Tue 16-Aug-16 16:56:54

Tarquin Hall set in India, New Dehli, detective fiction but funny and interesting. Bill Bryson reading 1927 at the moment, full of information and facts, husband has started reading it too. He is interested in planes and There is a chapter ,on the first airflights, which would give H&S vapours. I like Alex Grey too and Susan Hill Simon Serialler. Old favourite is John Mortimer and Dorothy Sayers. John Grisham, the Theodore Boone series are interesting. Not read the Granchester novels by James Runcie yet but have one to start. Lisa See also set in China again an insight to another world, some are detective stories but a couple of novels set in the time of the Red Guards,

numberplease Tue 16-Aug-16 16:59:42

There are lots of thriller writers recommended already, so I`ll recommend anything by Ruth Hamilton or Annie Murray. Must mention one more thriller writer though, Graham Masterton`s Katie Maguire books, need reading in order though.(Warning, they can be a bit gruesome)

f77ms Tue 16-Aug-16 17:01:27

Try PURE by Andrew Miller , There is a good review on Literary corner Café .
It is my favourite book , I have read it four times and will read it again at some point .A beautifully written story about The engineer in 18c Paris charged with relocating the graveyard which was poisoning the city it was so full ! It really is a fascinating look at life in those times with all the essential elements of a brilliant read and it is a true story . I went on to read all his other books after this one .

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 08:03:16

Thank you all again.

I'm now four weeks into this and hopefully another two will see me right.

I did have to take up your suggestion Gill as ended up with chronic neck ache and it was lovely to lie back and listen to (mainly) Radio 4.

Downloaded the Simon Seraillier (sp?) books onto my kindle and read them all, but have to say I didn't like him much as a 'hero'. I did like some of Susan Hill's other books which I downloaded as audio books, but kept falling asleep listening to them and couldn't always remember where I was up to grin

So now going back through other suggestions. Quite a few Ive already read and enjoyed, such as Pure, The Kashmir Shawl, the Seamstress, etc, so will trawl through your posts above and doubtless find more good reading material.

Jane10 Wed 07-Sep-16 09:13:48

Reading over this thread has given me some great new books to try. I'm now stuck at home as knee now injured as well as osteoarthritis. Very frustrating: one knee condition needs exercise and the other knee needs rest. What can I do?! confused

LullyDully Wed 07-Sep-16 09:19:55

The poisonous bible is a great book by Barbara Kingsolver. Read it at a book club, had never heard of her. Hope you are feeling better soon.

annodomini Wed 07-Sep-16 09:43:03

'Poison Bible', not 'Poisonous'! Lully! Yes, it's a wonderful book as are Kingsolver's other books. 'Flight Behaviour' was the last one I read and also recommend it strongly.

starbird Wed 07-Sep-16 11:20:55

Have you considered a book rest for your kindle? You can probably find something on Amazon.

How on earth do you manage with two broken arms! I hope they heal quickly.

Anya Wed 07-Sep-16 12:21:22

Starboard you manage by becoming very creative and because my actual fingers and shoulders still function pretty well. It's the bits in between wrist and shoulder that need to work better hmm

The cast on left arm is acrylic and useful as a lever cum hammer. I'm slowly getting more movement in my right elbow which is wonderful.

But door knobs and keys defeat me still. I can't open either back door if they've been locked, but will have to master that one by next Thursday as DH is away for three days and I'll need to get into the back garden somehow.

Managing to prop Kindle up on a large mug held between my tummy/abdomen (thinking of Obi's thread here!!) and drawn up knees. Works a treat.

Just started first Rebus book.smile

Envious Wed 07-Sep-16 15:14:36

Vendetta Stone by Tom Wood

numberplease Wed 07-Sep-16 16:51:03

Hi Envious, nice to see you!
Anya, have you read any of Anna Jacobs books? There`s a great series of 5 books about a woman called Annie Gibson and her family`s lives from the 1840s up to the 1860s, in Lancashire. They are, in order, Salem Street, High Street, Ridge Hill, Hallam Square, and Spinner`s Lake, which I`m reading right now.

Envious Wed 07-Sep-16 17:31:41

Been lurking. Glad this subject was brought up I appreciate being made aware of the writers you ladies enjoy reading.

Bellanonna Wed 07-Sep-16 18:05:14

Apart from anything else you're an inspiration Anya.

Girl on a train is one I enjoyed. By Paula something, sorry should have googled. It's being made into a film, or possibly already has been. Give it a go. And speedy recovery. How the hell do you manage ????

Bellanonna Wed 07-Sep-16 18:06:18

Paula Hawkins

Greyduster Wed 07-Sep-16 19:02:44

I suspect you may already have read it, but Kate Atkinson's "Life After Life" is a riveting read. I didn't think I would like it, but I can't put it down. DD gave it to me and she couldn't put it down either.

J52 Wed 07-Sep-16 19:04:38

Girl on a train is a great read. Apparently the film is out in October. Anything by Rosie Thomas is good, I think it was she who wrote Kashmir Shawl. She also wrote a good one about Everest, which is what it is called. ( I think)!

Sorry to hear about the breaks hope they're healing well.

suzied Wed 07-Sep-16 19:19:54

Have you tried the audio books?
Might help if you are too tired to support the kindle.
Have you read any Sebastian Faulks? Enderby is a good read. On a lighter note, Diane Chamberlain writes a good yarn, I like her topsail novels, set on the east coast of USA. Liane Moriarty is an Australian writer whose books are worth a read e.g. The Husbands Secret ( I think )

LullyDully Wed 07-Sep-16 19:37:47

Just looked at that again. Oops. Poisonwood Bible. Sorry Mr Kindle correcting me again.

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Sep-16 21:05:51

Just started Girl on a Train and am finding it compulsive reading. I also like Ellie Griffiths Ruth Galloway mysteries.

annodomini Thu 08-Sep-16 12:48:16

If you like JK Rowling (Robert Galbraith's) Cormoran Strike books, you might like a new author on the block, Matthew Frank. His hero is Joseph Stark, a young cop with a military background; the first book is 'If I Should Die'; the new one, which appeared on my Kindle today is 'Between The Crosses'. I am already having difficulty putting it down.

annodomini Thu 08-Sep-16 12:48:16

If you like JK Rowling (Robert Galbraith's) Cormoran Strike books, you might like a new author on the block, Matthew Frank. His hero is Joseph Stark, a young cop with a military background; the first book is 'If I Should Die'; the new one, which appeared on my Kindle today is 'Between The Crosses'. I am already having difficulty putting it down.

annodomini Thu 08-Sep-16 12:51:52

Lully, apologies: in presuming to correct you I wrote 'poison' instead of 'poisonwood'.blush