Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Good reads please.

(108 Posts)
Anya Tue 16-Aug-16 08:07:44

I'm out of action for the next 6+ weeks due to two broken arms. I can't drive, swim, walk the dogs, cook, shop, garden, etc. and I'd go stir crazy if I didn't have my kindle.

I can hold it for about 10 minutes before my arms ache but it's getting more each day.

So looking for suggestions for good reads. I'll read almost anything,except chick flick and spy novels. Preferably I'd like to,discover an author I've not tried before, but please .....all suggestions very welcome sunshine

gillybob Thu 15-Sep-16 18:21:58

Oh I am glad Elegran I thought it was a bit different and enjoyed it a lot.

Elegran Thu 15-Sep-16 18:48:45

Did you read The Ballroom, Gilly? It was on the Amazon offers too and a bit on the same theme.

gillybob Thu 15-Sep-16 19:22:36

Oh no I haven't read that Elegran will have a look for it now. Just about finished the Joanne Harris I am struggling with reading at the moment .

numberplease Thu 15-Sep-16 23:59:38

Stansgran, you might like a trio of books by Carola Dunn, set in a sleepy seaside village in Cornwall. They feature a lovely, but slightly dotty elderly lady who runs an, I think, antiques shop. They are about murders, but quite lighthearted as well, not heavy at all, and definitely not gruesome. The titles are,
Manna From Hades
A Colourful Death
Valley of the Shadow

gillybob Fri 16-Sep-16 01:32:41

After carrying out a search for your recommendation "the ballroom" Elegran it turns out that I have already read it. Must have some similar tastes in reading matter. smile

Any other recommendation would be most welcome. I need to have a couple of good books ready for times such as this when sleep just won't come.

Stansgran Tue 20-Sep-16 15:41:40

I've ordered lots of these suggestions from the library. They charge 40p per order which I think is brilliant value so that I don't have to scour the shelves. I do hope Anya doesn't live near me and I'm depriving her of library reading matter.

shysal Tue 20-Sep-16 15:57:24

Did you see the following thread? The book seems to have been popular, I certainly loved it!
www.gransnet.com/forums//forums/books_book_club/1229996-Forgotten-title?msgid=25957763