Gransnet forums

Books/book club

November book club - Cartes Postales from Greece

(94 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 01-Nov-16 11:20:11

Our November book club choice is Cartes Postales from Greece by Victoria Hislop (read more about it HERE).

Winners should be receiving their copies in the next few days. Don't forget that if you do receive one, please leave your thoughts, reviews and questions for Victoria on this thread by the end of November.

Happy reading!

grandMattie Tue 22-Nov-16 13:28:38

confused - me too

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 22-Nov-16 14:24:35

OK update - there was a processing error but the books have now been sent out and should land in the next day or so. We don't do book club in December so there is extra time to read, enjoy and add questions for Victoria Hislop

harrigran Tue 22-Nov-16 14:51:30

Received my copy this morning, bit late to finish by the end of the month though. Thanks.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 22-Nov-16 16:14:03

Just received my copy today - 22 November! Thrilled to receive it - but really not sure if I'll be able to finish it by the end of the month, which is only just over a week away. Please, Gransnet, can we have a bit longer this time!

hjw2505 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:20:45

Thank you, my copy if the book arrived today and am hoping to read it on my bus journeys to work this week

GeminiJen Wed 23-Nov-16 09:55:32

Thanks, GransNet. My copy arrived yesterday too. Good to know that we have extra time to read smile

Craftycat Wed 23-Nov-16 11:33:06

Just heard I've got a download for this book - I REALLY wanted to read this one. Thank you so much.

Auntieflo Wed 23-Nov-16 12:16:36

Also just found out that I have won a voucher to download the e-book. Cartes postales from Greece. Now all I have to do, is find out how to do it. confused. Thank you Gransnet.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 12:41:32

When you find out, can you tell me please auntirflo?? I found out too late that E-book did NOT include Kindle. confused

Liz46 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:42:15

Thanks for the link to the ebook. Unfortunately we do not have itunes so I am unable to use it. Maybe someone else can have it instead?

jollyg Wed 23-Nov-16 13:42:53

Dont some of you realise that Gransnet is smoke and mirrors.

The site is less than satisfactory, no edit button, no reference to posters history, I could go on, BUT We only are here because of the posters, and their humanity.

It is a commercial entity and the only beneficiaries are the 'rich' owners.

Gagagran Wed 23-Nov-16 14:43:49

I have won the link to ebook too but unfortunately can't use it. Would be happy to pass it on to someone who can.

DaphneBroon Wed 23-Nov-16 16:56:16

Where did that come from jollyg???
A propos of what exactly?? confused

Pittcity Wed 23-Nov-16 17:11:37

You can easily download itunes just to download your free book and then delete it.
But you will only be able to read it on an IOS device,that is an ipad.
I don't have an ipad, so have emailed the publisher to see if there is a Kindle friendly format.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:28:15

Hi all - as I mentioned yesterday - we are happy for you to have a bit longer to read as we hadn't anticipated the books going out quite so late - so let's say mid December?

And unfortunately there is no way for publishers to be able to gift via kindle (they would love to - it's just not possible) which is why we put an explanation on the page to only tick the ebook box if you had a device other than kindle. Huge apologies for any confusion and to anyone who has been disappointed. We will be launching our preview of our fabulous January book of the month in the next couple of weeks so another chance to win.

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 17:31:16

So when was the December one?

confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Nov-16 17:36:22

We never do one in December because it gets too complicated with the festive season - so we do our big book comps instead www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/books/best-christmas-reads-2016

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 17:38:19

Oh, thank you Cari, thought I had missed it and had only just realised there is a Book Club anyway!

Yes, tried to enter the comp but you have to agree to receive either endless promotional emails or junk mail so I abandoned it halfway through.

Jalima Wed 23-Nov-16 17:38:54

oops, that's me on the competition black list blush

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Nov-16 17:45:34

Thank you for my copy, received today. I'm relieved we've got a bit of extra time for this one - I'm reading four books at the minute and one of them is October's GN pick (very nearly finished, though blush)

Pittcity Wed 23-Nov-16 18:32:41

The publisher has replied saying that it was in the competition entry details that the prize would only be available on Itunes. I only remember it asking if you would like a copy for E reader.
You live and learn, I will only be applying for the physical book in future.

Pittcity Wed 23-Nov-16 18:39:05

Cari we received The Essex Serpent as a file sent direct from the publisher that worked on any e reader.Sosome publishers can do it.

blueberry1 Sun 27-Nov-16 17:15:59

I also received the voucher for the e-reader copy though I don't recall being asked if I wanted one. I am not prepared to download itunes so will not be able to read the book this month.

GandT Sun 27-Nov-16 17:29:41

Help! Technophobe panic. I've won the ebook version of Hislop's book and don't know how to enter redemption code in iTunes where, apparently, it needs to be retrieved. No instructions with email. Anyone had any success with this to give me advice. Cheers.

Pittcity Sun 27-Nov-16 20:02:31

GandT you will find Redeem as the bottom choice in the drop down menu under Account.
The content is locked so you can only read it on Ibooks on an Apple device.