Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is Amazon killing off bookshops?

(109 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 10-Nov-16 09:20:37

It's all Amazon and Kindle now isn't it? I'm guilty too, as it is a long time since I bought a new book in a bookshop. We will all be sorry when they are gone.
My own reading comes from libraries or charity shops where I can get a jolly good read for 50p then donate it back to the shop for someone else to enjoy. Many National Trust properties have excellent second hand books on sale. But meanwhile the bookshops in the High Street are struggling to survive.
We shall regret their passing.

Hilltopgran Thu 20-Apr-17 00:54:42

I love visiting a book shop, and this week I decided to reread some of my books I have kept because I felt I would like to reread them. To my disappointment most of them have print that is now too small to read comfortably. So it is back to using Kobo or Kindle because I can adjust the print size to make reading enjoysble.
I will however continue to visit book shops to buy books for DGC.

gillybob Wed 19-Apr-17 22:38:04

Yes of course you are right Penstemmon . I do understand the overheads of running a business and small independent shops are no different making it impossible to compete with the likes of Amazon. Internet shopping does have a lot to answer for.

Penstemmon Wed 19-Apr-17 21:23:59

gilly you run a business and know the overhead costs of staff/ premises/ rates etc. It is much more expensive for shops to provide books than a central warehouse. I think it is such a shame that our High Sts are becoming "services" centres(hair/nail/opticians/pubs/café etc and that retail is reducing. Whilst we are all watching costs more I guess it is inevitable. sad

gillybob Wed 19-Apr-17 18:52:13

I think it is prices that are killing off bookshops. I much prefer a "real" book. The feel, the cover, the satisfaction of turning the pages . But who can afford to pay the prices of the likes of Waterstones when you can usually get it much cheaper on Amazon or the likes. It also annoys me that I can buy a book from WH Smith online cheaper than I can buy it in one of their own stores . I can even pick the cheaper book up in one of their own stores but they won't match their own on line prices confused

durhamjen Wed 19-Apr-17 17:32:23

When you use Hive, a percentage of the cost goes to a local bookshop of your choice. You can have them delivered, or sent to a bookshop to pick up. Free postage over £10.

Ana Wed 19-Apr-17 17:24:00

I used to love the Ottakers in our local town - lots of 'different' books, not just the current bestsellers and cookery books, and assistants who were really interested.

Since Waterstones took it over it's just like any other chain store and the staff (such a they are) CBA...

TerriBull Wed 19-Apr-17 17:14:52

I'm another who laments the fact that Borders isn't in my local large town anymore. I discovered them in America a few years ago, before they ever came to the UK. Ours was extensive and stocked far more books than Waterstones, who are also a chain I know, but I'd hate them to disappear. It's very apparent, even in the larger branches that they don't stock even an acclaimed author's entire works, space constraints. I like Margatet Atwood for instance and annoyingly her books are not only on top shelves out of my reach, alas I'm only 5ft 3ins sad they only have a few of her back catalogue, hence people going to Amazon who seem to stock practically everything. I try not to though if I can help it.

Wobblybits Wed 19-Apr-17 16:53:19

It's not Amazon that's killing Book shops or any High street shop, it is the cost of parking in our cities, to buy a book in a book shop would cost me as much again in fuel and parking.

The wood used for books is from renewable managed forests, without which we would have considerably less forested areas across the world. It is the hardwoods that are endangered, these are not used for paper.

angelab Wed 19-Apr-17 16:47:00

We used to have a wonderful Borders bookshop here which thrived, even with Waterstones on the oppsosite corner - great selection of books and a coffee shop, really miss it.

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Apr-17 16:34:37

It's usually free postage on £20 worth of goods or £10 worth of books.

Greenfinch Wed 19-Apr-17 16:26:24

I bought DGD a paddling pool as well and together they came to more than £20 so postage was free.

TriciaF Wed 19-Apr-17 15:45:34

Eloethan wrote (page 1):
"useful for locating books that are no longer in print."
That's where I mainly find Amazon useful. I do miss browsing in bookshops though. There's a good one in our nearest town which I often visit to see what's new, but they're quite expensive.
And the Tabac/Presse shops here usually have a small book section, often of locally printed books.

durhamjen Wed 19-Apr-17 15:18:08

Greenfinch, how did you avoid paying postage?

durhamjen Wed 19-Apr-17 15:12:44

I've just bought three books from hive and thewy were cheaper than from Amazon.
Amazon can do cheap on lots of things because they don't pay their taxes.
What would you rather do?

Greenfinch Wed 19-Apr-17 15:06:30

My DGD2 wanted"Everywhere Bear" by Julia Donaldson for her birthday.I went to Waterstones but could not bring myself to pay£ 11.99 for a very thin book that will only be of interest for a while. It was £4.99 on Amazon.Some difference !

Penstemmon Wed 19-Apr-17 14:16:50

Yes it is..online shopping is killing the High St never mind Waterstone's, which killed off independent bookshops!

I do not doubt the convenience and cheapness of online shopping, and I do some myself but try to avoid Amazon and buy from independent businesses if purchasing online or from High St shops via click and collect.

Norah Wed 19-Apr-17 14:05:24

I buy books on Amazon because I don't have to leave the comforts of home, bonus cheap books.

Maggiemaybe Wed 19-Apr-17 09:01:31

I've just checked out the links to Hive and the prices of the last three paperbacks I ordered are twice what they were on Amazon. No doubt I'll now be accused of personally killing off independent booksellers, but I haven't the luxury of affording those prices.

I do use the local libraries and charity shops.

grannypiper Wed 19-Apr-17 08:16:29

Hello Dolly smile i love our Library and feel that if we dont use it, we will lose it.

Dollymay89 Tue 18-Apr-17 20:03:07

Hello all
I down load e books
Which I realy love doing. But I do go to book library which I enjoy that.

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 19:34:12

£1-1.5 billion likely to go missing this year. Pleased you are not among them, Jane.

Jane10 Mon 28-Nov-16 19:26:45

Amazon are punctilious about sending me VAT statements. Its not Amazon's fault if independent sellers trading via the Amazon website don't pay their taxes. I certainly do (although I'm very small fry)

durhamjen Mon 28-Nov-16 17:08:37

Not just Amazon that fiddles its taxes. It's also lots of companies that sell through Amazon marketplace.

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2016/11/28/why-wont-the-government-take-action-to-beat-vat-fraud-on-amazon-and-ebay/

durhamjen Fri 18-Nov-16 12:27:13

Just received my DVD of A Christmas Carol, less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Very impressive of Hive.

durhamjen Thu 17-Nov-16 17:42:08

Just checked my emails. Order from Hive was on its way at 15.35. That's quick.