Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is Amazon killing off bookshops?

(108 Posts)
mrsmopp Thu 10-Nov-16 09:20:37

It's all Amazon and Kindle now isn't it? I'm guilty too, as it is a long time since I bought a new book in a bookshop. We will all be sorry when they are gone.
My own reading comes from libraries or charity shops where I can get a jolly good read for 50p then donate it back to the shop for someone else to enjoy. Many National Trust properties have excellent second hand books on sale. But meanwhile the bookshops in the High Street are struggling to survive.
We shall regret their passing.

Im68Now Thu 10-Nov-16 09:33:17

Just think of all the trees that are saved, I would rather walk through a forest than turn the pages on a paper book, I love my Kindle app.

tanith Thu 10-Nov-16 10:05:08

Every Christmas my daughter buys me a voucher for a book shop so I do buy some books but then I do donate them and also borrow from the library. I really don't use my kindle any more I just found I prefer a book.

Charleygirl Thu 10-Nov-16 10:42:48

I have not used my kindle for months because a friend gave me a bag of books so I am reading my way through that lot. I am guilty of rarely buying from a book shop, mainly because I can buy cheaper elsewhere. I buy from a local charity shop and I also am a fan of Amazon because they are cheap and so convenient.

Jalima Thu 10-Nov-16 11:10:58

The trees are in specially planted forests, leftover wood, recycled paper; the woods and forests you walk through will not be chopped down to make paper:
www.paper.org.uk/information/factsheets/trees.pdf

I have been given lots of books lately so have rarely picked up my Kindle for about a year now. I then pass the books on or send them to the charity shop.
However - the Kindle is lighter than some books and is easier on the wrists if reading in bed!

goldengirl Thu 10-Nov-16 11:15:15

We have a bookshop with a little coffee shop. I've found the young staff incredibly knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to finding something suitable for the GC who range from 18m to 13yrs. It's small but beautifully laid out with gift ideas too. [Un]fortunately it's on the route to the hairdressers so the outing becomes just a tad more expensive grin

Greyduster Thu 10-Nov-16 11:33:13

I suppose you can't blame people from buying books from Amazon. I went into Waterstones recently to see if they had a copy of a fishing book I wanted (not Fly Fishing by J. R. Har-t-ley grin). I didn't buy it because I knew I could get it four pounds cheaper on Amazon with free delivery, and yes I did feel guilty about not supporting a bookshop, but four pounds is a lot of money. We all know it all comes down to overheads in the long run.

notoveryet Thu 10-Nov-16 11:48:02

I use charity shops, the library and kindle. Still buy cookery books though!

SueDonim Thu 10-Nov-16 12:26:46

We have a local independent bookshop. It doesn't try to compete with the big guns, so it doesn't stock the top 100 bestsellers etc. Instead it has an amazing range of books I'd probably never have come across in mainstream outlets.

I've never been in there without seeing something that interests me and even if I'm not feeling flushed enough to buy, they have an amazing range of cards and small gifts so I never leave empty handed.

Over the years I must have bought rather a lot in there (not all for me!) as last time I visited I was told I have £25 in loyalty points to spend!

jordana Thu 10-Nov-16 13:15:08

I think quite a lot of people use amazon to buy books. I am a member of 3 different libraries and yet sometimes when I read an article about a book I would like to read, it is not in any of the libraries catalogue. If I am really wanting the book I buy from amazon and it is cheaper than water stones or smiths and also has free delivery too. Also I buy for my kindle.i do still love to go water stones near me as they have a coffee shop. Unfortunately, our shopping habits are changing and online businesses seem to thriving.

Mumsy Thu 10-Nov-16 13:38:53

I use other book shops on line for books as they are cheaper than book shops on the high street

Jane10 Thu 10-Nov-16 14:31:38

I use my Kindle extensively mainly because I'm such a bookworm that the house was drowning in books. I like to reread books so didn't tend to give them away.
On the other hand, my own book (soon to be books) is sold in real shops but also via Amazon and Amazon Kindle. Libraries buy them too. I think its good that there are so many ways of buying books in ways that suit people.
There are some lovely small bookshops around here that stock really unusual and different books. I've had several books from the Golden Hare bookshop that the GSs regard as a real treat to read when they're round here. Its nice to see them really absorbed in a book instead of the instant digital entertainment they usually go in for.

Alima Thu 10-Nov-16 15:06:27

I have a couple of books on my iPad but have not read on it yet. I do love proper books, always have done. Nowadays I use our library mainly, swop books with friends and family and buy a few from charity shops and Sainsbury. I do buy from Amazon too. We do not have a bookshop locally. In town there is a WH Smith's which stocks only a few best sellers and a Waterstones which I have never much enjoyed browsing in as I think they stock what they want you to read instead of stocking a wider selection. There used to be a Boarders fairly close, used to love browsing in there. Apart from charity shops I cannot think of any second hand bookshop in the area.

rosesarered Thu 10-Nov-16 15:17:32

I read mainly on Kindle, but still enjoy buying a book now and again.I do use Amazon but also my local bookshop, and the many fantastic bookshops ( both new and secondhand ones) in Oxford.
bookshops seem to be enjoying a revival just now, we went to some book readings not long ago in a bookshop (after hours) it felt very cosy being in a small group.

NanKate Thu 10-Nov-16 15:29:35

We have a fabulous new bookshop which has recently opened in our small town. I am determined that I will support it, however I have just bought the latest Elly Griffiths hardback from them for £16.99 on Amazon it was £11.89 a big difference. At present I can afford to do this, but if things become a bit tight financially I will reluctantly have to go back online.

Jane10 Thu 10-Nov-16 15:31:23

I think bookshops are really trying hard these days. Lots of after hours book groups and readings and author events. I do agree with rosesared there does seem to be a lovely cosy atmosphere at these things. Long may it continue!

shandi6570 Thu 10-Nov-16 15:49:48

I'm really surprised that no one has said that they won't or don't use Amazon as their ethical credentials are appalling on every level.

I have managed to avoid using them for the last three years or so and although I know that I am paying more buying elsewhere, as I don't look at their website I am blissfully unaware of how much it is costing me to boycott them. Makes me feel better anyway.

Also now boycott Sports Direct and trying not buy from any Arcadia outlets.

Am definitely turning into a difficult and grumpy old woman.grin

Elegran Thu 10-Nov-16 16:03:25

Several people on GN have said that previously, shandi. Perhaps they don't want to be told they are repeating themselves every time amazon is mentioned, and accused of "virtue signalling".

shandi6570 Thu 10-Nov-16 16:12:00

Thanks for letting me know Elegran, makes sense now smile

Lewlew Thu 10-Nov-16 16:18:50

I was in an Oxfam bookstore today and they said their donations are down. Don't know if that's just in my SW city, but with Kindle/e-Books and all, I know I am not donating as many books. But I still take my paperbacks/hardbacks in when done with them if not needed.

Izabella Thu 10-Nov-16 17:12:16

I discovered the mobile library van service (also under threat) when I retired. A boon to our rural area. It trundles along once a month and it's wonderful browsing the shelves. The staff are wonderful and it's another meeting place especially in the winter. I do use Amazon and have not visited a book shop for decades (but then we don't have any!)

Welshwife Thu 10-Nov-16 17:13:11

I have a kindle and I do buy from Amazon still but I am a real sucker for a bookshop! Give me a Waterstone's any day. I usually end up buying at least three books - often the 3for 2 offer but I just love the experience. When I looked after my DGC for half term holidays we did different things each day but we always had one day that we went to Dillon's - they had a lovely section where we could sit on benches near the children's books area and they could also stand on the benches to reach higher shelves. We all sat and looked at books and then eventually chose one each to buy and take home for a really good read together. Sadly this Dillon's was taken over by Waterstone's and knocked down when they built the new shopping centre but it holds many happy memories for us.

Wobblybits Thu 10-Nov-16 17:20:13

It's the charity shop for me, took 15 or so back today and bought another 10.

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Nov-16 18:06:01

Charity shops, the local library, The Book People and yes, wicked old Amazon, where I turn when I need anything specific. I've had a lot of secondhand books from sellers on there and they have always been very lightly used. Our nearest proper bookshop (Waterstones) is lovely, but £4 worth of busfares to get there to be added on to the extra cost makes it an infrequent treat. I'm trying to be good and not hoard books I've enjoyed, but it's difficult, as I always fondly imagine I'll read them again. The last time I had a reluctant purge I took all twelve Poldark books that I started reading back in the 60s to the charity shop, and I really regret it now!

Eloethan Thu 10-Nov-16 20:15:45

I've never had a kindle and don't want one. I like handling a book, looking at its cover, reading the back cover and the reviews, etc. I think reading from a screen is a completely different, and somehow less intimate, experience.

I understand why people buy from Amazon and supermarkets - it is convenient and usually cheaper - and useful for locating books that are no longer in print. We buy our books like that sometimes but I also buy from book shops because I enjoy wandering round book shops. If they are not supported, they will disappear and then I think the huge range of books that are currently available will shrink.