Gransnet forums

Books/book club

March book - The Girlfriend

(17 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 21-Feb-17 21:47:13

Help! Where do I post for a chance of a copy of this book please? I just can't find where to put my name down.

www.gransnet.com/life-and-style/books/the-girlfriend

janeainsworth Tue 21-Feb-17 22:50:15

Well when you find out GK perhaps you could let me know!
I had the same problem last month & despite several people pointing me in the right direction I still couldn't work it out shock

Greenfinch Tue 21-Feb-17 23:19:06

This has happened to me several times. It was there at the end of the blurb in the middle of the month but seems to get removed pretty soon.

Grannyknot Wed 22-Feb-17 07:52:41

Maybe greenfinch has the answer in that the link to register for a copy is taken down after a certain number of requests for the book.

If so, maybe HQ could put a note saying "The requests are now fully subscribed, please check back next month" (or similar).

I'll report this thread and perhaps we'll have an answer from the Higher Ups. smile

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 08:36:31

Yes, that's how it works. You have to keep a look out for the book offer in the middle of the month (it's usually in the newsletters sent out by email as well as on the site so it's a good idea to sign up for them). You've to get in quick! Even if you have submitted your details, there's no guarantee you'll get the book though. It's always nice when it falls through the letterbox smile

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Feb-17 08:44:21

Hi all!

We put each book club giveaway page up in the middle of the month before so that you'll have time to read the book (if you get a free copy) by the end of the actual book club month.

Do keep an eye out for our April book club, but it'll be on the homepage, in the newsletter and on the Books index from the middle of next month.

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 08:53:23

I only saw March's book on the newsletter dated 16 February. I hadn't realised it was announced right at the start of the month!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Feb-17 08:55:46

And just to add - we take the application form down in time to send addresses to the publishers so they can get the books out to winners by the beginning of the month - there is no limit to how many people who can apply. The draw for the 50 winners (we always get a LOT more applicants) is made at random.

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 08:56:16

Oh, am I cracking up or have you changed your status? I thought I was replying to one saying the book was available on the first day of each month confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Feb-17 09:03:12

Maggie it's not. The March book club was indeed announced mid Feb in order to give people time to apply and then for the publishers to have chance to send out the books to reach people so that they can be read before the end of March.

Likewise the April book club preview will appear in mid March so that people have their books for the start of April (and so forth) - so each book has a six week time spam if you like. A preview where people can apply. A short period where we pick winners at random and pass on to the publisher so they can send out the books. And the month where it is our book of that month where winners need to read the book and add their questions and comments to the thread.

When we launch the giveaway element we always put it in the newsletter and on the home and book pages

To anyone who applies - we make it very clear on the page that you should only apply for a free copy if you can commit to reading it within the timespan mentioned and then leave a comment or question on the thread. We have so many applications (often 10 x the number of books) that it can be frustrating when people ignore this bit. So a reminder that this is NOT a simple giveaway but a book club and it requires participation as described on the page. Anyone who receives a book and doesn't take part in the timeframe is unlikely to receive any further books in future.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Feb-17 09:03:45

Crossed posts Maggie!!

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Feb-17 09:31:44

grin

janeainsworth Fri 24-Feb-17 20:35:57

Grannyknot www.gransnet.com/forums/books_book_club/1234653-City-of-Friends-by-Joanna-Trollope-apply-one-of-30-free-copies

Quick!! It's obviously the middle of March!!
Totally confused now

Greenfinch Thu 09-Mar-17 09:51:51

Thanks for my copy of The Girlfriend which has just dropped through my letter box. I am looking forward to reading it.

Gagagran Thu 09-Mar-17 10:40:18

Just received my copy of The Girlfriend which I am looking forward to reading. Thank you GN - love getting a new book!

cornergran Thu 09-Mar-17 18:49:18

My copy arrived today, thank you, looking forward to reading it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Mar-17 11:55:11

Just to say to those who have copies - please post questions etc on the other thread rather than this one