Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Find out what Gransnetters think of City of Friends by Joanna Trollope

(74 Posts)
SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Feb-17 12:01:51

We gave away copies of City of Friends, the latest offering from bestselling author Joanna Trollope, in return for Gransnetters' feedback.

The day Stacey Grant loses her job feels like the last day of her life. For who was she if not a City high-flyer, Senior Partner at one of the top private equity firms in London?

As Stacey starts to reconcile her old life with the new – one without the office buzz or meetings, but instead, long days at home with her dog and ailing mother – she's glad to have 'the girls', her best friends from university, to fall back on. But without the distraction of work, a betrayal emerges that threatens to shake the four women's friendship to its core.

We ask that all giveaway winners post their review on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on City of Friends by midday Monday 10 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Macmillan

Usual T&Cs apply.

mimicat1 Fri 10-Mar-17 11:19:07

I do love a good Trollope. I promise to review should I win.

SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Mar-17 15:01:27

The winners have now been notified - do check your emails! This is also the thread on which we'd like your feedback on City of Friends. If you're not a lucky winner, you're welcome to grab a copy and post a review.

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Mar-17 15:36:20

Great! Have had an E mail to say I have won a copy! I am delighted. Thank you GN.

Alima Fri 10-Mar-17 15:52:09

Me too! Looking forward to receiving my copy and getting away from crime for a while!

Atqui Fri 10-Mar-17 17:13:12

.....and me, and I don't usually win anything. Thank You GN. Oh dear, I've just started a thick book by Kate Mosse. I'll have to spend less time on here and finish it so that I can read the JT one and keep my side of the bargain!

Greenfinch Fri 10-Mar-17 22:09:17

Just read my email. Thrilled to have won a copy.Thank you GN.I am really looking forward to reading it when it comes.

GG62 Sat 11-Mar-17 18:50:35

Have I missed the boat? Would I have got a copy by now if I had been lucky enough? Would it just fall through my letter box, or would I be notified beforehand?

Greyduster Sat 11-Mar-17 19:07:07

I've won a copy also, I'm pleased to say. I've never read any of her books, so I am looking forward to it.

Greenfinch Sat 11-Mar-17 21:10:12

The normal monthly book club books just arrive through the letter box if you are a successful winner but this was a special one and winners were sent an email.The books have not been sent yet

GG62 Tue 14-Mar-17 20:07:14

Oh well! A book hasn't arrived for me so boo hoo!

SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 16-Mar-17 09:50:14

Hi all! Just to clarify - winners have been notified by email and the books should be arriving in the next week.GG62 it seems you weren't one of the lucky ones this time, but best of luck for the next giveaway you enter! And of course, if you did grab your own copy, you're welcome to join the chat anyway smile

MawBroon Thu 16-Mar-17 10:01:37

That might explain why mine hasn't arrived yet!! Thanks in advance though. ?

Teetime Thu 16-Mar-17 11:59:12

I have won a copy so I'm thrilled - tell you all about it when I've received it and read it.

mumofmadboys Sun 19-Mar-17 16:49:14

I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Atqui Thu 23-Mar-17 11:27:22

Hurrah and thank you . Mine arrived today.

Marydoll Thu 23-Mar-17 11:30:51

I thought I hadn't won, as I didn't receive an email. The book arrived just now, it has cheered me up no end, as it's been a very stressful week. Thank you so much!

Alima Thu 23-Mar-17 11:55:28

My copy has just arrived, thank you. I look forward to reading this, it will make a change to the oodles of crime novels I have read lately.

rosesarered Thu 23-Mar-17 13:22:49

No email, but the book just plopped through the letterbox today! I look forward to reading it soon.?

Greyduster Thu 23-Mar-17 14:06:54

Mine also arrived this morning - just after I contacted GNHQ to find out whether it had got lost blush! No patience me!

Greenfinch Thu 23-Mar-17 21:08:16

Mine also arrived today.No need to pass mine on to you roses

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Mar-17 06:30:07

Thank you. Mine arrived yesterday too. Just started it in bed last night.

kittylester Fri 24-Mar-17 07:53:56

Gd, I hope you enjoy the book then you will have a whole new author on your list!

MawBroon Fri 24-Mar-17 08:07:36

Thank you for my copy which arrived yesterday. I started it last night and was finding it a not unpleasant read until I hit Chapter 2 (Gaby)
"In 1997, the year that Melissa failed to be proposed to by Connor Corbett, Gaby met Quin. Quin, named Quintin for his grandfather, had grown up in the Scottish Borders and lived for his childhood years above his father's drapers shop in Elgin..."

My heart sank. It was like cod or pseudo French or (to those who do not know anything about Scotland )like putting Birmingham on the coast, putting Brighton in the Midlands or Manchester in Sussex.
Don't publishers employ editors any more?
I don't know if I can be bothered to read on. For heaven's sake, how hard is it to check that Elgin is NOT within 200 miles of the Scottish Borders?

Marydoll Fri 24-Mar-17 08:14:07

I know Maw. I read that part twice just to confirm I hadn't misunderstood. I woke up really early this morning and decided to read it, as I couldn't sleep. I like Joanna Trollope, but it really annoys me when authors don't check their facts.
It is a pleasant and undemanding read, when you don't want to read anything too deep.

Greyduster Fri 24-Mar-17 08:24:56

I got this book yesterday and only had time to read the first chapter. I was puzzled by the fact that this person was supposed to have been a senior partner in the company she worked for. Is it credible that she would have been made redundant and sent on her way in such an arbitrary and ignominious manner? It didn't sit well with me, but I shall push on.