Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Find out what Gransnetters think of City of Friends by Joanna Trollope

(73 Posts)
SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 24-Feb-17 12:01:51

We gave away copies of City of Friends, the latest offering from bestselling author Joanna Trollope, in return for Gransnetters' feedback.

The day Stacey Grant loses her job feels like the last day of her life. For who was she if not a City high-flyer, Senior Partner at one of the top private equity firms in London?

As Stacey starts to reconcile her old life with the new – one without the office buzz or meetings, but instead, long days at home with her dog and ailing mother – she's glad to have 'the girls', her best friends from university, to fall back on. But without the distraction of work, a betrayal emerges that threatens to shake the four women's friendship to its core.

We ask that all giveaway winners post their review on this discussion thread. Everyone who gives detailed feedback on City of Friends by midday Monday 10 April will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Love2shop voucher.

This giveaway is sponsored by Macmillan

Usual T&Cs apply.

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:09:22

Done! I really want to read this book, so hope I will be lucky.?

Greenfinch Fri 24-Feb-17 12:53:43

Me too!If I win a copy and you dont roses I will pass it on to you. wink

rosesarered Fri 24-Feb-17 12:58:06

Ditto!

annsixty Fri 24-Feb-17 13:04:55

Reading this makes me wonder if anyone would like my copy of this month's book choice.This is how it always is, or something like that.

Rinouchka Fri 24-Feb-17 13:38:10

Would love a copy!

Greenfinch Fri 24-Feb-17 14:04:13

I asked my local library if they would like any book club books when I had finished with them but they said only if they had not been read !! Since then I have given them to the Oxfam book shop.However,in the last book I saw that it said not for resale.Does this mean I should not be giving them to Oxfam ?

annsixty Fri 24-Feb-17 14:27:51

Rinouchka PM your address.

Parsleywin Fri 24-Feb-17 17:20:27

I would also be very happy to pass on my copy of this month's book - This is how it always is - for someone else to enjoy. One careful lady owner! grin
PM me if you'd like it.

TwiceAsNice Fri 24-Feb-17 17:32:46

Submitted my entry. I've read loads of Joanna's books so it would be nice to be lucky. Good luck to everyone else!

Marydoll Fri 24-Feb-17 19:07:53

I haven't read a Joanna Trollope book in years, I too hope I am in with a chance. That used to be my holiday treat at the airport.
How kind people are offering to pass on their books.

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Feb-17 19:27:41

I love Joanna Trollope's novels. I like the little reflections of family life.

nanaK54 Fri 24-Feb-17 20:45:15

Well fingers crossed!

BBbevan Fri 24-Feb-17 21:45:45

Saw her talking about this book on television. It sounds very interesting.

Purpledaffodil Fri 24-Feb-17 21:58:43

I used to love her books, but haven't read one for several years. A particular favourite was "A Spanish lover" which unexpectedly had a brilliant description of a woman's view of Christmas preparations which resonated with me as I tried to make everyone's Christmas wonderful while keeping all the other balls in the air.
I pass my books on to other book loving friends who kindly pass their finished books on to me. Like the GN book club choices, I have read many great books that way I would never have opened in a book shop.

Grannyknot Fri 24-Feb-17 22:22:56

Is this a bonus?! Yes, please.

Purpledaffodil Sun 26-Feb-17 11:19:18

Swaps if only one of us is successful Grannyknot? As in above post wink

Grannyknot Sun 26-Feb-17 19:36:26

purple it's a deal. They might even get 2 for 1 (reviews).

grannyqueenie Sun 26-Feb-17 22:20:46

Yes please I've enjoyed many of her books over the years, she seems to have been able to keep her style contemporary.

sue1169 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:44:34

Ohh ❤ Joanna Trollopes books?

storynanny Wed 01-Mar-17 22:49:01

Yes please I always enjoy her novels

GG62 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:29:26

Yes me too! I've applied but haven't got anything back as an acknowledgement. Have never done it before so hope I've done it correctly!

Elsie10 Thu 09-Mar-17 11:26:54

I love Joanna's books. so have signed up for a copy please.

SorchaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Mar-17 09:57:10

Hi GG62 just to let you know, we have received your entry! After completing the form, the confirmation message 'Thanks for entering our giveaway. Good luck!' should have appeared - apologies if it didn't in this instance. Thanks!

GG62 Fri 10-Mar-17 10:47:17

Thankyou for the message!