Gransnet forums

Books/book club

When you are enjoying a book so much!

(77 Posts)
phoenix Thu 01-Jun-17 22:55:57

Hello all,

Yet again I'm in "that" situation, absolutely loving a book, wanting to find out what happens next, BUT I don't want it end, I don't want to have to leave the characters and their lives that I have become immersed in.

I don't get this feeling with every book I read, in fact there are some that although I finish the book, I'm glad to see the back of them, so to speak!

Does anyone else experience this?

Kim19 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:06:24

The writer who recently hooked me is Quintin Jardine. If you like crime, murder mysteries (set in Edinburgh and nearby), he's pacy and intricate. I was lucky enough be introduced to the book which was the first in a series of 26. My local library was sick of the sight of me as I devoured them apace. Some potentially great recommendations here. I've noted every one and am about to venture to the library. Did RP Shellseekers years ago and remember loving it so will now pursue the others mentioned with gusto. Yet again, THANKS, ladies.

Meriel Sat 03-Jun-17 10:10:30

I used to finish a book no matter whether I was enjoying it or not. But now I am in my mid 70s and have so many books on my Kindle, if I'm not enjoying one I delete ir - otherwise I don't think I will have time to read them all!

Worlass Sat 03-Jun-17 10:20:04

I confess that I am another one who frequently starts reading a 'new' book only to discover that I have already read it. The majority of my reading matter comes from, and is returned to, the charity shop. I was dismayed recently to return from an expedition to acquire new reading matter to discover that two of my purchases were books I had already read. The third was a Young Adult novel by Harlan Coben, a writer whose work I have always enjoyed. Sadly, I didn't know he wrote for this genre and just couldn't 'stomach' the simplistic writing style or simplified plot. Message to self- read the synopses properly before deciding to buy.
I also dislike incorrect punctuation and misuse of vocabulary. It definitely impacts on my enjoyment of anything I happen to be reading. Bring back proof readers!
Does anyone else commit the cardinal sin of reading the last few pages of any book when choosing something to read? I unfailingly do this, as, arguably, it enhances my enjoyment when I can follow the twists and turns in the plot. Alternatively, it could be said that I'm just too impatient for my own good!

rosesarered Sat 03-Jun-17 10:25:36

Yes, agree, sometimes you think 'oh no, only two chapters left!'
The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher is a wonderful book, and almost all of Kate Atkinsons too.
I have discovered a Yorkshire writer called Andrew Martin, he writes a railway detective series mainly set in Edwardian days but there are books set in the 20's as well, as the main character gets a bit older. Am not particularly interested in trains ( lol) but you don't need to be.The evocation of a byegone era is wonderful.
I would recommend not reading the first in the series as it is the least interesting one and each book stands alone but the superb ones are:
Last Train To Scarborough,
The Blackpool High Flyer,
Death On A Branch Line,
The Somme Stations (First World War)
Night Train To Jamalpur
The Baghdad Railway Club
All are really good reads.There is another writer of similar name and content(but not any good IMHO) so if you are interested, don't confuse the two writers.
Have also just finished The Ballroom by Anna Hope, another Yorkshire writer, and set in a mental institution....sounds awful, but is a magnificent book.

cloverpark Sat 03-Jun-17 10:25:42

I always read in bed and luckily it doesn't disturb my husband when the light is on but I make myself turn the light off around midnight. However, if it's a good book and I'm still awake after half an hour or so, I go down and read more.

I've always loved books by Margaret Forster- so sad she died last year. I enjoy the articles and books I've read by her husband Hunter too

Musicelf Sat 03-Jun-17 10:31:42

I'm a big Ken Follett fan - his sagas, rather than his thrillers. Long, involved, yet never quite long enough! As a history geek, I also like James Michener and Edward Rutherford - more long, involved historical sagas. Sometimes I just like to have something light - Anna Jacobs has so many enjoyable series, and I do try to read award-winning books, just to see if I like them (frequently I don't!)

Reading is a passion, and if I'm involved in a book, I hate it to end.

Lewlew Sat 03-Jun-17 10:38:33

It's the sign of a skilled and creative author who delivers characters you identify with, or relate to in some way and are loathe to leave behind.

I find characters who 'disappear' in eg the first book, who leave you hanging to hopefully reappear in the next. It's a great 'tool'.

I love reading... absolutely. grin

Greyduster Sat 03-Jun-17 10:41:45

It is sad when a writer you love dies, I agree, clover. I loved all Ariana Franklin's historical novels, and the ones she wrote under her own name of Diana Norman. She had a wonderful grip on history - she really took you there - and her characters were engrossing. She died whilst writing what was to be her last novel and her daughter finished it (which must have been so hard for her), but, though it is very good, you can tell where the joins are.

00mam00 Sat 03-Jun-17 10:42:46

I very rarely read fiction, apart from an occasional dip into a classic. I read history, biographies, diaries and letters. I will read as many books as I can on one particular person or subject and there are always references to other people or books that I then follow up.

I haven't much patience with fiction although some of the above could fall into that category! But I have read 'War and Peace' and 'Fear and loathing in Los Vagus' and didn't want either to end.

I have just finished Jung Chang's biography of Empress Dowager Cixi, having already read Wild Swans. I have now ordered another book by her, Mao: The Unknown Story.

I am also reading 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy' and 'The Goncourt Journals' oh and have just started 'Midnight in Siberia'. I pick up which ever I am in the mood for.

mancgirl Sat 03-Jun-17 11:01:33

I call the books that I don't want to end "pan stirers"!. This means I can't put it down long enough to make a meal! As stated previously on one hand I don't want it to end but also can't wait to see how it finishes. I'm currently reading The Secret Wife which is in part about the Romanovs and the Russian revolution. I'm glued (but took time out to read GNsmile)!

Alima Sat 03-Jun-17 11:20:47

I know that feeling only too well, being so immersed in the story and characters that you don't want it to end. Felt like that after A God in Ruins and probably every Jo Jo Moyes book. RF Delderfield has the same effect as does Nevil Shute. Have always loved a good saga to get stuck into.

Conni7 Sat 03-Jun-17 12:18:38

Thanks for all these suggested authors. I'm always looking for new ones. Yes Worlass, I too look at the end if the story starts to worry me. When I'm reassured it ends OK I'm happy to read the rest of the story. How about "The Kashmire Shawl" by Rosie Thomas - lovely book. I've read some of her others, but I too can never remember the titles.

Lupatria Sat 03-Jun-17 12:43:46

i have a lot of favourite authors and reread their series often. i've just recently bought the latest books in two series - one the roman army series by simon scarrow, the other the dark ages series by bernard cornwell. not the "normal" reading material for some!
however, in each case, i will be rereading the whole series before i read the latest one - 12 books in one series and 10 in the other!
one of my favourite authors, terry pratchett, died while writing a series of novels. not to everyones' taste but he's one author who is missed all over the world. having created an imaginary world and peopled it for over 40 adult novels and 6 childrens' novels you're left to wonder what happened to the characters he created and who you "lived with" for such a long time.
i'm afraid that i generally go for the more substantial books - too many shorter novels are too easily read and i don't find them very satisfactory.

Greyduster Sat 03-Jun-17 13:09:35

Mancgirl the one you are reading now reminds me of another book I found hard to put down - "The House of Special Purpose" by John Boyne. I kept re-reading the end, because I was so touched by it.
One of my favourite unputdownable authors was Mary Renault, whose novels about Ancient Greece, and particularly the Alexander trilogy, are stunning. She brings him, his Court, and his times, blazing into life.

Sar53 Sat 03-Jun-17 13:50:13

My passion is also reading, has been since I was about 8 years old. I love the anticipation of a new book by a favourite author, but sometimes don't want the book to finish.
I also loved The Secret Wife and if you like books about Russia then try The Bronze Horseman trilogy by Paulina Simon's. I loved them !!
My favourite author is Barbara Erskine, most of her books are set in two different time periods. I am also enjoying The Storm Sisters series.
I could discuss books all day and I am always trying to get my DGD's to read for pleasure.

DanniRae Sat 03-Jun-17 14:01:06

Alima - One of my favourite books ever is by Nevil Shute - A Town Like Alice. Even though I know the ending I can still read it every few years and be delighted by the ending.

Alima Sat 03-Jun-17 14:25:54

It is a wonderful story isn't it DanniRae? Lost count of the times I have read it. Did you see the Australian mini series in the eighties with Bryan Brown? Wonderful adaptation. (My DD2 went on a tour of Oz a few years ago and bought me a copy of the book from a bookshop in Alice Springs. Pride of place on my bookshelf).

angostura Sat 03-Jun-17 14:26:48

Life is much too short to struggle through a book you are not enjoying. Anything by Douglas Kennedy is page turning for me. Have read Five Days, The State of the Union and The Heat of Betrayal. Now into The Pursuit of Happiness. I read all five of Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles and so miss that family that I am tempted to read them again.?

Tizliz Sat 03-Jun-17 14:34:43

lupatria another Terry Pratchett fan here. I have bought all of Bernard Cornwell's books but have not read his latest as it is just one fight after another.

Some good recommendation here

annsixty Sat 03-Jun-17 14:35:35

I have just reread Neville Shute's The Trustee from The Toolroom. So unlike his others and very enjoyable.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 03-Jun-17 15:08:45

Yes, I get this with the occasional book but also with my other hobby of sewing. I've finished the top of a crazy patchwork quilt and now I'm putting the back on. I enjoyed sewing this so much I shall miss it.

WilmaKnickersfit Sat 03-Jun-17 15:09:21

Some years ago I fell into reading Urban Fantasy books, which just goes to show how much your preferences can change. Now I have a whole list of authors I follow on Goodreads so I don't miss a new book.

My favourite is Jodi Taylor's The Chronicles of St Mary's which makes me laugh out loud and cry. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant/Rivers of London series are brilliant too.

I listen to the audiobook versions and the narrators of these books (and others) are top notch.

I also love historical fiction and Ruth Downie's Medicus series is superb.

clareken Sat 03-Jun-17 15:41:57

Started reading Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series on March 12th, the anniversary of his death, and finished Nightwatch on the 25th May (significant). Still reading but don't have many more books left. Can't think what I can read next.

clareken Sat 03-Jun-17 15:43:39

Wilma, I also love Dresden and Peter Grant. Have you tried Butcher's Codex Alert?

mancgirl Sat 03-Jun-17 15:53:04

Thanks greyduster and Sar.: Will check those books out. Douglas Kennedy! Read all of his, must check up and see if he's written anything recently. Thanks for reminding me of him.smile