Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(450 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

Iffat Wed 06-Feb-19 12:27:12

The book I am reading right now is Me before you by jo jo moyes. I have selected this from a list of
[url=https://www.pennysaviour.com/article/fascinating-books-to-read-this-winter]25 fascinating books to read this winter[/url] and it is amazing.

Iffat Wed 06-Feb-19 12:44:31

The book I am reading right now is Me before you by jo jo moyes.

I have selected this from a list of 25 fascinating books to read

farview Wed 06-Feb-19 16:35:40

Just reading The Art of Happiness...by the Dalai Lama.. am enjoying it.

Floradora9 Mon 18-Feb-19 21:00:21

Have just finished Michelle Obama's autobiography " Becoming " and really enjoyed it . I feared it might be a bit dry but she is really honest about her feeling . I did enjoy " Dreams From My Father " by Barak Obama too

Jen67 Thu 28-Feb-19 23:01:38

I’ve just read two books by Michelle Frances: The Girlfriend and The Temp
Both great.... psychological thrillers really I suppose. Can recommend! Now reading The Cactus

Twinflower Sat 02-Mar-19 17:36:08

The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I liked it very much and can recommend it too.

BlueSapphire Sat 16-Mar-19 15:55:44

Have just finished reading 'The Cleaner of Chartres' for book club and am now reading 'A Gentleman in Moscow ' by Amor Towles. It keeps making me chuckle!

KatyK Sun 17-Mar-19 14:29:43

I reading Long Lost by Harlan Coben. It's rather good so far.

morethan2 Sun 17-Mar-19 22:38:35

I’ve just finished The Good Samaritan by John Mark. I’ve never heard or read anything by him before. It was about a women who worked for a Samaritan like organisation and rather than trying to dissuade people out of suicide she encourages them to kill themselves. He has an easy to read way of writing and the subject matter was unusual. It wasn’t great but it was good with lots of twists and turns.

Merelina Sat 30-Mar-19 09:03:28

Just finished The Sand Path by Raynor Winn, and went into a decline when I turned the last page. It is beautifully written and inspiring. I felt so involved with Raynor and her husband Moth making finishing the book a loss. It’s a true story of how to triumph. Also just read The Librarian by Sally Vickers, another hit for me.

Craftycat Thu 04-Apr-19 11:18:54

92% through Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
This book was an answer on an episode of Eggheads I watched last week & one of them ( Barry I think) said it was a good book so as I was just finishing a book I downloaded it.
I think it is a first novel for this author & it occurs to me again that first novels are very often far too long with far too much shoved in. I wonder if it is because they think they may never write another one. This could have made at least 3 normal books.
TBH I am longing to get to the end as I have ceased to actually care about the characters & I want to get on to the new Joanne Harris.
I very rarely put a book down without finishing it but I'm tempted!!!

BradfordLass72 Fri 05-Apr-19 08:36:01

I'm thoroughly enjoying the 'Time Travellers Guide to..' series. At the moment it's Elizabethan England.

It has so much more and interesting information than ordinary history books.

For instance, did you know that a 'barefaced lie' has its origins in the fact that women used to cover their faces with masks and hoods when travelling?

Merelina Sat 06-Apr-19 10:15:30

Am rereading PD James - The Lighthouse. Luckily can’t remember who did it. I have a cousin who has decided never to buy another book - she will read through her bookshelf certain to enjoy

Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 17:59:11

Last week I read Michelle Obama’s ‘Becoming’ and thought it was excellent. She comes over as such a warm, approachable lady from humble beginnings but used her brain and was very focused. The insights into life in the White House were wonderful!

Yesterday I finished Lucy Mangan’s ‘Bookworm’ which was a great read for bookish people like us - a great reminder of lots of lovely childhood books such as Milly Molly Mandy (one of my favourites as a child), The Secret Garden and Alice inWonderland.

This morning I started Henry Marsh’s autobiography called ‘Admissions: A Life in Brain Surgery’. It’s good to flip genres - one of the joys of reading!

Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 18:04:04

Ooh just seen your post Merelina and the Salt Path is on my Kindle ready to read next as it is our book club read at home. We meet every 2 months - perfect as it allows time for our own choices too as sooner meet ups might become prescriptive. Two friends and I started the club 13y ago and it’s been brilliant - the core members (6 of us) are still members with others who dip in and out as and when.

FW1951 Sat 06-Apr-19 18:09:05

I’m reading The Death of Mrs Westaway by Ruth Ware. Got it through my local library as an ebook this morning and am halfway through. Really engrossed in it.

GandT Sun 07-Apr-19 10:34:14

I received a copy of The Craftsmen by Sharon Bolton via Gransnet. It seems to have been separate from the book club books. I couldn't read it fast enough but I think many would find the child murders to be too gruesome. Interesting angle to the main character being a WPC in 1969! You can imagine the dreadful male comments and expectation of her always making the tea. I have already downloaded another of her books to my kindle so I hope this will be as good.

Grany Thu 02-May-19 15:44:36

Just ordered
The Deceit Syndrome: Catch 69. A novel written by a Dr about the dismantling of the NHS 68 chapters. All monies goes towards helping to fight the sell off of the NHS

morethan2 Thu 02-May-19 16:18:05

On sale for kindle a £1

morethan2 Thu 02-May-19 16:19:31

Oops sorry that was for my recommendation The Good Samaritan

farview Mon 06-May-19 16:43:59

Just reading & enjoying The bookseller of Kabul..by Asme Seierstad...
Brilliant..

Greenfinch Mon 06-May-19 17:44:07

The Butterfly Box by Nora Naish.I am enjoying it but there are rather too many characters to keep up with and the whole middle section is a flashback with totally different characters apart from the main one. I am interested to see how it pans out though.

Fennel Mon 06-May-19 18:09:12

Dipping in to French Provincial Cookery by Elizabeth David.
I love cookery books, and have read this one many times.
For some reason I don't like fiction.

BlueSapphire Tue 07-May-19 08:55:52

Just finished 'Longbourn', the story of the servants below stairs in Pride and Prejudice. It's our current book club choice, so I shall have to think of things to say about it at the next meeting! I quite enjoyed it, but thought the ending was far too neat and tidy and quick.
Just got the next month's book 'All the light we cannot see.'

toscalily Tue 07-May-19 09:40:38

Murder at The Vicarage by Agatha Christie. Large print version, I don't really need the large print but I have noticed you get some interesting books in the large print section which are not available in the normal print area so I always have a quick look now. Prior to that it was the Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan. I have read all three of her books in reverse order purely because that is when they were available.