Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Please enjoy your Happiness by Paul Brinkley-Rogers.

(4 Posts)
jose Sun 09-Jul-17 16:12:02

I received this book free, but cannot find anyone else who appears to have reviewed it.

Anyway this is a delightful memoir of an old Englishman who as a rather young man of about 19, ( was in the American Navy between 1947 and 1959)and his chaste love for an older Japanese woman,Kaji Yukiko, (who was a gangster's moll), whilst he was based out in Japan. It is tender story, of a shared love of poetry and classical music.

This is Paul's memories of his short time with her. His collection of letters from her helping him to recall his thoughts and feelings for her at that time.

Not usually my kind of genre, but I found it very interesting.

fourormore Sun 16-Jul-17 11:27:44

Hi Jose,
I too received a copy of this book but kept it for my holiday - hence the delay.
Like you it's not my usual genre but I really persevered. However, I did find it a bit 'heavy' for me so I passed it on to a neighbour who is a real book worm as she is loving it!
Horses for courses really. Glad you enjoyed it! smile

Inthepink06 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:24:04

I really found this book hard going, it seemed to lack pace and imagination. I stopped reading it as unfortunately could not empathise with characters or their situation. Perhaps another will find it interesting.

Cosafina Fri 18-Aug-17 22:27:06

I have to say that I'm glad I didn't have to buy this book as I would have considered it wasted money. I didn't actually see the point of it, and struggled to finish it at all, which is why I'm so late reviewing it.