Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Putting a book down

(15 Posts)
Christinefrance Thu 13-Jul-17 16:49:24

Yes callgirl there has been a gap for a while now, I can't read many books more than once but his are among the few.

callgirl1 Thu 13-Jul-17 16:00:37

Still waiting for another by C J Sansom

NanKate Thu 13-Jul-17 14:10:58

Sansom not Samson hmm

NanKate Thu 13-Jul-17 14:09:35

Yes Christine I have read one of the Lord John. I must check out C J Samson. Thanks for the suggestion.

Christinefrance Thu 13-Jul-17 10:34:06

I love her books too NanKate so much historical detail, have you read her Lord John books as well ?
I like CJ Sansom for his well researched books and interesting characters.

NanKate Thu 13-Jul-17 07:28:15

I get so involved in the Diana Gabaldon books I feel I have entered another world when reading and I am a bystander watching the events. I am on a second reading of all her Outlander books and am enjoying them even more the second time around.

I would appreciate recommendations from you Gransnetters on a book or series you found riveting. smile

Elegran Wed 12-Jul-17 23:37:31

About an hour ago I stopped reading a murder story (Cragside, hero is Ryan) because it was about to reach the climactic ending and I didn't want to raise my adrenaline level at bedtime. Instead I have spent an hour on GN. That should be restful enough. hmm

phoenix Wed 12-Jul-17 23:27:08

I think I posted about this sort of feeling, could be wrong, often am.

callgirl1 Wed 12-Jul-17 22:54:01

The number of times I`ve been up till about 4am because I just HAD to finish my book, couldn`t go to sleep not knowing.

aggie Wed 12-Jul-17 17:38:06

and then there are wooden characterless books that you have to keep reading cos the reviews make you believe it will get better hmm

Tizliz Wed 12-Jul-17 17:33:26

If a book is really good I get worried I might miss something if I put it down grin

Elegran Wed 12-Jul-17 14:45:15

personalitiers? If that is like chocolatiers it must mean people who create personalities - ie authors.

Elegran Wed 12-Jul-17 14:43:02

And when you have finished some books, the characters are still in your mind and continue to live their lives, whereas with others they vanish at once after the last page. Some authors have that gift for creating people and recording what happens to them, others for creating a plot and then using characters to act it out. When the acting-it-out characters are particularly cardboard, I lose interest in the plot quirks quite quickly, but following believable people through events caused by their own personalitiers holds my interest.

grannysue05 Wed 12-Jul-17 14:09:02

I get into books like that too. I always read in bed before going to sleep, and if the story is rivetting or a cliff hangar I have to get up and make tea and toast before I can get off to sleep. I think its wonderful that we can really experience the story in this way.. It must be what the author would really want us to feel.

Baggs Wed 12-Jul-17 14:01:52

That thing when the story is so good and you so want to get the end to find out what happens to everyone that you actually have to do short bursts of reading and then put the book down and do something else for a while because you can't stand the tension.

Does anyone else get that?

Lots of people review books with "I couldn't put it down" because they're enjoying it so much. I often feel I have to put it down to let the excitement a story causes simmer down.