Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books to help young Gc behave with dog

(21 Posts)
seemercloud Mon 31-Jul-17 13:18:02

I foster dogs for elderly people during a hospital stay. I always play safe when the grandchildren (age 1-7) visit, keeping the dog in another room etc. However, I think I am possibly missing an opportunity to introduce the children to safe and sensible interacting with these ( generally friendly) dogs. Can anyone recommend any fun children's books which put over the message ( I have printed off lots of good advice from the Kennel club, Dogs Trust etc but that is mainly factual advice and not really of interest after the first reading)

Luckygirl Mon 31-Jul-17 13:32:55

Perhaps a book to help the dogs behave with GC - just a thought!

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 13:35:08

I wouldn't bother with a book.

I'd sit them down with the dog and have a sensible talk e.g. no ear pulling, riding, load noises, getting in their face, etc.. My GC have been taking my dogs for walks since they were 2 years old, in a safe place (grassed, no cars, adult on hand to help)

It depends on the size, age and temperament of the dog, but I'd start with smaller, older and quieter dogs by bringing them into the room and just letting get to know each other.

Older children could take photos, print them out and make their own Book of Doggy Rules.

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 13:36:03

For those who don't already know Luckygirl dislikes all dogs ???

Luckygirl Mon 31-Jul-17 13:37:29

Who would have thought?! grin

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 13:44:59

??? indeed!

Isn't it odd how we know so many of the foibles, likes and dislikes of long-term posters that we've never met?

Tegan2 Mon 31-Jul-17 13:53:16

I think you should still 'play safe'; especially with dogs that you don't really know and are in a strange environment and may be stressed due to their circumstances. Spoken as a dog lover grin.

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 14:01:08

I tend to agree with Tegan - it's one thing letting GC develop an understanding of doggy behaviour when it's your dog and completely different with a strange dog.

I'd have to be very certain before I introduced them.

jollyg Mon 31-Jul-17 14:37:31

Totally unnecessary ANYA.

trisher Mon 31-Jul-17 14:37:48

I would just carry on as you are but perhaps ask the parents how they would feel about you introducing the GCs to dogs. My DIL is mega allergic so she certainly wouldn't want it happening.
If they agree maybe a walk is the best intro.

jollyg Mon 31-Jul-17 14:41:02

scanning through other posts Anya is having a bad day.

Lets hope for a better tomorrow

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 14:48:46

What's totally unnecessary?

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 14:55:01

Listen notsojollyg this isn't the first time you've had a go at me for nothing. What you fail to realise is that Lucky and I (and many other long-term posters) go back a long way.

We've shared happy and sad events, had arguements, resolved them, know quite a bit about problems and illnesses that others (or their DH's) are going through.

You obviously don't know what is light banter between two old GNetters but are just happy to put your oar in.

So bloody well back off and go elsewhere for your kicks.

jacksmum Mon 31-Jul-17 15:31:16

There are a number of books on amazon , well done for fostering dogs , xx
//www.amazon.com/Be-Dogs-Best-Friend-Safety/dp/0615280382

Eglantine19 Mon 31-Jul-17 16:18:03

Like Trisher says you would need to know that their parents are absolutely happy with your plans -and the dog owners too. They will know if their dog is at ease with children or finds them stressful. An elderly dog who lives mainly in a quiet home might feel worried in a strange house with unfamiliar creatures?
I know I "borrow trouble" but one little warning snap and an injured child and a dog in bad trouble. Choose your dog carefully please?

jollyg Mon 31-Jul-17 16:28:12

Correct as ever . This forum is not exclusively dedicated
to you and your pals.. Apologies for standing on your bunions.

It is a fora for discussion, and if I can add my 1p worth/ Why not.

Your post is obscene in its wording.

Of course I have a button to press . But I will not do that. I dont live in the gutter.

Have a good rest and take some vallium.

Bon Soir

NanaandGrampy Mon 31-Jul-17 16:28:50

How about working with your DGC to make their own book ?

I am a firm believer in teaching children right from the get go what is acceptable behaviour for interacting with their pets.

Get a big scrap book and do things like draw a dog picture together and mark the right places to touch the dog etc.

Have a page for 'Gentle Hands' and explain its like dropping things i.e they break etc.

It could be lots of fun. If you have access to a printer take some pictures of them with your guests as a memory and then they can write ( or if too little draw) good and bad things about what that dog liked.

Children and pets should go together and as long as you take reasonable safe guards it could be a rewarding and learning experience for you all.

Good Luck x

Tegan2 Mon 31-Jul-17 21:34:06

jollyg; what on earth are you on about confused?

NanaandGrampy Mon 31-Jul-17 21:37:48

Wrong thread Jollyg

Anya Mon 31-Jul-17 21:55:31

What a hoot!

trisher Tue 01-Aug-17 15:01:54

Oh which thread does it belong on? Obscene posts!- why do I miss everything???