Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Childrens' picture book I am trying to locate

(13 Posts)
singingnutty Sat 06-Jan-18 12:37:16

Many years ago, either when my children were small, or when I was studying Childrens' Lit at college, I remember there was a picture book about a house in a street which the neighbours told their children never to go into because it was full of horrible people. However, one of the children did go in and found a messy and chaotic but wonderful family of babies, small children, teenagers etc. enjoying life to the full and presided over by a lovely Mum who was obviously disapproved of by the other residents of the street, but had such a happy family home. I think 'Mrs' was in the title, but not sure. I hope someone can help. I must have read thousands of books in my time as a student, Mum, and school librarian, but I particularly remember this one. But not its title!

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Jan-18 13:17:17

Was it The Family from One End Street?

I can't remember precisely so I'm not sure about neighbours telling their children not to go there, but this was about a happy, chaotic family

The author was Eve Garnett.

Purpledaffodil Sat 06-Jan-18 13:39:43

I remember that book too but naturally the title eludes me for now. If I remember rightly the child had a working
Single mother and was often home alone. I think it was Mrs ????? House, but cannot remember the missing name. Will keep thinking.

singingnutty Sat 06-Jan-18 14:15:07

Thank you Purple Daffodil. I think that title is familiar, but like you I can't remember what came after the 'Mrs'. Keep thinking please and I will too and maybe someone else will remember as well.

Grandma70s Sat 06-Jan-18 14:24:04

The Family From One End Street was a brilliant book, but definitely not about a single parent household, and I don’t think anyone disapproved of the Ruggles family.

GranEd Sat 06-Jan-18 14:48:59

Was it I'll take you to Mrs Cole ? I remember DGS used to love this book when he was small.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Jan-18 14:54:12

It's a long time since I read it Grandma70s!
I just remember a rather chaotic, happy family.

singingnutty Sat 06-Jan-18 22:15:39

GranEd I think you are right! Thank you so much. I am going on Amazon now to look for it.

singingnutty Sat 06-Jan-18 22:39:56

Brilliant - I have found it and ordered it. I have been thinking about this book for weeks (I know a family a bit like this!) and thanks to Gransnet I have found it. Hooray for forums - this is just the latest help I have got in various different ways.

GranEd Sat 06-Jan-18 23:08:20

singingnutty-glad to help. So pleased you've managed to order it. I did have a hunt for it in my cupboard with no success.(hardly surprising as youngest DGC is now at university! grin

Purpledaffodil Sun 07-Jan-18 09:03:53

Well done GranEd. I was trying to think of the name and only came up with Mrs Gold! Thanks!

vampirequeen Sun 07-Jan-18 09:54:28

The book is called....I'll send you to Mrs Cole.

The boy lives alone with his mam and she has to go to work. He has chores to do and life is boring. He gets into trouble and runs away but only gets as far as Mrs Cole's house. She sees him and takes him in. The house is chaos. Mrs Cole is cooking bacon. The toddler pees on the floor. The twins are arguing about who's turn it is to clean the hamster or rabbit...I can't remember which. The radio is on really loud and Mrs Cole is singing along. It's the total opposite to the boys home and he loves it. At the end of the story instead of Mrs Cole being used as a threat his mam says that if he's good he can go to Mrs Cole's.

Is that it?

vampirequeen Sun 07-Jan-18 09:55:26

Sorry just read about but can't edit or remove post lol