Gransnet forums

Books/book club

February book club - Three Things About Elsie

(59 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 31-Jan-18 15:57:04

Winners of Joanna Cannon's new bestseller (more info HERE) should be getting their copies very shortly.

If you go receive one, please leave your thoughts and any questions for Joanna on this thread BEFORE the end of the month (when we will be sending them off to her)

harrigran Thu 01-Feb-18 19:00:34

Thank you, my book arrived this morning. Will ditch my crime thriller and start reading straight away.

Buddie Fri 02-Feb-18 09:47:06

Many thanks for my copy which has just been delivered. Sounds intriguing.

Greenfinch Fri 02-Feb-18 10:42:52

I am looking forward to reading my copy which has just arrived. Thank you.

Pittcity Fri 02-Feb-18 11:52:52

Mine arrived this morning too. Will get started later.

matson Fri 02-Feb-18 12:06:48

Thank you for my copy of Three Things About Elsie, looking forward to reading it.

gillyknits Fri 02-Feb-18 12:52:01

Oh thankyou! My copy arrived this morning. Looks like an interesting read.

Mapleleaf Fri 02-Feb-18 13:07:04

My copy has just arrived, too. Thank you. I'm looking forward to reading it.

GranEd Fri 02-Feb-18 14:28:10

Thank you! My copy just arrived. A perfect excuse for settling down with a brew for a lazy afternoon!

Nannylynn63 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:38:29

Thank you for my copy ?

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Feb-18 14:42:10

My copy arrived today too - thank you.

I look forward to reading it.
smile

granh1 Fri 02-Feb-18 18:38:07

Thanks for the book, which arrived this morning. I'm looking forward to reading it

Waveney Fri 02-Feb-18 20:15:28

I was so excited to pick up my copy from the Post Office this morning -I had been hoping I would be lucky enough to win a copy, as I so enjoyed her previous novel. I seem to remember that Joanne had hinted that her next novel would have a very different theme when she answered our questions last time.
Thank you very much, I am looking forward to reading the book.

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Feb-18 20:36:37

I was thrilled to receive a copy today. Thanks very much. Will start it shortly.

Dadima123 Sat 03-Feb-18 00:20:56

Thank you for my copy of the book, which arrived this morning.
Looking forward to reading it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Feb-18 15:36:59

Mine's here, thank you! I'm not enjoying the very dull and pretentious worthy book I'm ploughing through at the moment, so now have an excellent excuse to abandon it and start reading this one instead.

lolarabbit Sat 03-Feb-18 18:10:59

My copy arrived this morning - thank you. Took a quick peek at the first chapter and am looking forward to getting stuck into it as my new bedtime read.

Grandange Tue 06-Feb-18 11:35:00

Loved this book...and what a shock at the end...I couldn't put it down. I really felt part of Flo's life and suffered her frustration dealing with officialdom. Everyone has to go into an official slot ...there is no room still to be an individual!

Hippynan70 Tue 06-Feb-18 12:05:33

I'm halfway through, fascinating read so far. I do have a couple of theories about some of the people, be interesting to know if they are right...or totally wrong.

Hippynan70 Thu 08-Feb-18 01:20:32

Have finished the book. My theories were partially right. A very good read. Not my usual type of book.

travelsafar Thu 08-Feb-18 08:58:37

I picked this book up last Saturday at the local library and must say it is such a different kind of story. Not sure if i am enjoying it but it has me hooked and i want to find out what happens in the end. It gives insight as to what may be going on in an older persons head.

gillyknits Thu 08-Feb-18 12:12:32

I’ve just finished. I must say that I wasn’t sure whether I was going to enjoy the subject matter. It is set in a care home and the story is told through the eyes of Florence who is suffering from the early effects of dementia.
The tale of ageing,memory loss and friendship is sympathetically told.There are little gems of humour interspersed with real sadness. Also there is a underlying mystery about another resident .
The book deals with the loneliness of old people, even when they are in care homes and are meeting other people. It asks the philosophical question about whether our presence in the world changes it in any way . ‘ Even the smallest life can leave the loudest echo!”
I loved the bit about Whitby, (a place that I really love). A truly accurate description through Flo’s eyes.
I only realised the significance of the beautiful cover half way through. A battenberg jigsaw! Loved it all. Thankyou

GranEd Thu 08-Feb-18 20:35:52

I was intrigued by this book. I found it rather disturbing as it was a bit close to home (two friends in care homes),but was compelled to carry on reading.
A very thoughtful human story with some shocking revelations at the end!
I now feel the need to read Joanna's first novel.

wot Sat 10-Feb-18 13:13:25

Thank you for my book. I found it very tedious and didn't enjoy it.

humptydumpty Sat 10-Feb-18 13:16:22

Thank you very much for my copy, I really enjoyed reading it. Unlike previous posters, I found the portrayal of the main characters and the nature of Elsie very moving, and the intrigue at the centre of the story - and the real truth - very engaging.