Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Do you ever re-read a book?

(144 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 15:40:35

I was interested to read on the "If you could only save one book ..." thread a poster's comment that she never re-read a book.

Do you?

Even if I have enjoyed a book very much, I'm unlikely to re-read it but there have been a few exceptions:

The Accidental Tourist, St Maybe, Breathing Lessons - Anne Tyler
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Orchard on Fire - Sheena McKay

My, I think, all time favourite book - Secret History by Donna Tartt, I'm a bit scared to re-read. I loved it so much that I'm nervous that I'll be disappointed if I read it again.

Happyscotlass Fri 09-Feb-18 09:45:04

I have many favourite books.
Wind in the willows many many times!!!smile
All Terry Pratchet disc world novels
Lord of the rings and the hobbit.
I must be a big kid at heart.?

Lupatria Fri 09-Feb-18 09:45:32

i have so many books and i prefer to buy them in a series. these i will read and reread many times always finding something new.
i have all sir terry pratchett's discworld series and couldn't tell you how many times i've read them.
i also have the roman series by simon scarrow, the alfred the great series by bernard cornwell and several others which also includes the harry potter series - all of which are good reads.
no need to visit a library as i've got my own.

Sulis Fri 09-Feb-18 09:47:01

The Book of EST by Luke Rhinehart. This is a reconstruction of the famous EST seminar created by Werner Erhard, a course which totally changed my life -when I get stuck in life and am hurting, I open this book and drink deeply of it's incredible wisdom in taking total responsibility for my life. Fabulous book, fabulous seminar.

Luckygirl Fri 09-Feb-18 09:48:49

The Land of Spices by Kate O'Brien - I have lost count of how many times I have read it!

I also read the Miss Read books if I am ill or convalescing - so restful.

Nvella Fri 09-Feb-18 09:49:13

I re-read Doris Lessing’s Golden Notebook a few weeks ago. I had loved it in the in the late 60’s when I first read it and I was first in love and it really spoke to me (!) but found it deeply irritating and rather boring this time round. Didn’t finish it!

gulligranny Fri 09-Feb-18 09:58:16

I have favourites that I re-read over and over again, for the stories they tell, the wonderful writing, the characters:

The Forsyte Saga - John Galsworthy
I Capture The Castle - Dodie Smith
The Church of England Novels - Susan Howatch
The Cicero Trilogy - Robert Harris

Louise Penney's Inspector Gamache novels, set in Quebec, are fast becoming firm favourites too.

Witzend Fri 09-Feb-18 10:02:43

I re-read loads! Including recently Lucky Jim, and several of Barbara Pym and Anita Brookner.
Others I've re read more than once over the years include all the Palliser series (Trollope), his Barchester Chronicles, all of Jane Austen, except Mansfield Park - never did care for that one - and many others too numerous to mention.

No wonder our bookshelves are all stuffed! Though I do take a lot - the ones I don't love enough to keep - to charity shops.

Sometimes its been so long that the novel is virtually new again. I once re read A Clergyman's Daughter (George Orwell) after what must have been 30 odd years.

morethan2 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:06:33

I re read a couple of neville Shutes books a few decades ago and I do fancy visiting them again. Generally I don’t re read books. I don’t keep them either. Once read they can go. Just as well because I’ve got around 70 and 20 on kindle waiting to be read. I really hate to lower the tone (a lot of you read the classics) but Ive read the Godfather three times, pure escapism. blush

Urmstongran Fri 09-Feb-18 10:07:35

What a good anology mollie. It made me giggle!

mostlyharmless Fri 09-Feb-18 10:11:51

sar53 Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks) is my all time favourite too. Though I haven't enjoyed his other books as much.
I've re-read many favourite books over the years - lots of the ones mentioned here.
They become different books every time strangely!

inishowen Fri 09-Feb-18 10:26:24

I never re-read a book. I give them to charity shops as soon as I've finished them. However I recently came across my copy of Ballet Shoes which I loved as a child. I'm thinking of reading it again to see why I loved it.

libra10 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:27:32

As a Georgette Heyer fan, I've read most of her books several times, and still laugh out loud at the humour.

W11girl Fri 09-Feb-18 10:29:05

I never have time to re-read books as there are so many others out there just waiting to be read. I always carry a book. I have a kindle but it just isn't the same as flicking those lovely pages!

Saggi Fri 09-Feb-18 10:30:26

I will revisit an excellent book...why wouldn’t you.? How can anyone NOT go back for a second bite of Bill Bryson’s ‘Note From a Small Island’...read it...you’ll howl with laughter. Nothing much in my life makes me laugh anymore...but this book. Wow.

annodomini Fri 09-Feb-18 10:33:01

I rarely re-read a book because there's always an new one to be discovered.

Lindylo Fri 09-Feb-18 10:33:22

I've read Charles Dickens books several times and I just love reading Life of Pi. Also Daddy Longlegs was a favourite when I was a child and I reread it recently and still enjoyed it.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Feb-18 10:35:57

Daddy longlegs! I read that when we were on holiday when I was a teen. smile it was on the bookshelf of the holiday cottage. I'd like to read it again.

Sheilasue Fri 09-Feb-18 10:39:18

There is one book I loved and read again and again, regret giving it away, but the title was something like the potato pie jersey club, can’t remember, if some one knows what I mean please remind me.
Set after the 2nd world war in the Channel Islands.

BBbevan Fri 09-Feb-18 10:51:20

I think it is ' The Guernsey Potato peel Society' Sheilasue

Craftycat Fri 09-Feb-18 10:57:49

Captain Corelli - read it loads of times. Most of Thomas Hardy. Me Before You- Jojo Moyes. Tolkien.
Actually I re-read a lot of books. it is like meeting up with an old friend. Now they are all on my Kindle I don't have sagging book shelves to worry about either.

dragonfly46 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:58:56

Gosh Eloethan, you sound just like me. In fact I could have written your post right down to A Secret History being my favourite book!!

OurKid1 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:03:59

I'm re-reading the Poldark novels at the moment. Up to book 9 so far ...
I keep all my Marian Keyes, Bill Brysons and Maeve Binchys to re-read and do so probably every couple of years.

Granash Fri 09-Feb-18 11:06:53

I so agree with you, MOnica. I re-read Middlemarch every time I had a baby (3 times, in the days when they kept you in bed longer...) and have just finished listening to the wonderful Juliet Stevenson reading it on Audible - all 35 hours of it! And now ditto with Daniel Deronda. And have recently joined the George Eliot Society. What an amazing woman!

Barmeyoldbat Fri 09-Feb-18 11:07:02

I re-read books and cannot let go of any book I have really loved. I have two favourites by the travel writer Dervla Murphy, one is called Full Tilt about cycling from Dublin to India which had been a childhood dream. The other is Where The Indus is Young about a 3 month trip with her 7 year old daughter. (She is an unmarried Irish mother). Has anyone else read any of her books.

Peardrop50 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:08:40

Don’t often re-read by choice but do often re-read when I don’t remember until I’m part way through, then I’ll have to continue and enjoy.
Every time there is a thread like this you ladies mention lots of books I haven’t read, I list them and place my order. Half a dozen more on the list this morning, thank you.