Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What time of day do you read.

(91 Posts)
gmelon Tue 20-Feb-18 16:12:25

The traditional "couple of chapters in bed" or do you have a favourite , set aside time to read?
What do you eat while you are reading?

When do you read?
Is it something you just can't wait to get back to?

We all seem to have lots to do including the general housework and chores and of course there are those who have jobs.

A book sits there calling out to me waiting to reveal its next twist.

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 21:50:42

My friends ani all swap our books and send to the charity shop. I hot cut off with the last post

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jun-18 21:49:33

Im a readaholic. I couldn't survive without reading, it helped me throu chemo. I read one chapter in the morning, a couple at night and if I'm going out I take my kindle. I took it on my recent cruise and it was better than carrying lots of books. I take a book or magazine to work in case of a spare half hour. My fr

Nannykay Thu 14-Jun-18 22:43:21

I love to read, DH says I don’t read I devour books. He always brings me a cup of tea in the morning, I cannot get out of bed until my pain meds work which is at least one chapter sometimes too !. I will often read the paper in the afternoon, with more tea. Then in the evening, DH sleeps as soon as his head hits the pillow, me I’m awake for hours, so I surf a little, often on here, then back to my kindle to read, anywhere between two or three hours. I don’t sleep well, so will often pick my kindle up at three or four in the morning for a little while.

sodapop Thu 14-Jun-18 12:48:35

That's me too henetha, always trying to sneak in a chapter between jobs.

Can't beat a real book can you and one of my birthday treats is always a hard back.

henetha Thu 14-Jun-18 12:16:36

I read anything and everything at any time, any place posible. But mostly in bed at night. Can't sleep unless I get a good read. I also have a Kindle which is useful, but still prefer real books.

Tweedle24 Thu 14-Jun-18 12:04:34

I have a book upstairs in the sitting room and a kindle in the bedroom. (Upside-down house). I try not to read during the day before I have finished whatever needs doing or it just won’t get done!

goldengirl Thu 14-Jun-18 11:58:11

I read all sorts. Novels I read in bed - and outside in the afternoon if it's sunny and I don't feel like working [even though it means a catch up later!] but any work related reading I read in the afternoons - unless I'm distracted by an exciting novel or non fiction!

Greciangirl Thu 14-Jun-18 09:48:15

Although I have an iPad, I’m never tempted to read a book on it.
I much prefer a book in my hand.

I did attempt it once, but kept losing the page I was on.
Also, a tablet is heavy to hold.
Just my preference really.

Greyduster Sat 12-May-18 14:14:52

If I have a book that has caught my imagination I will read it whenever I have a few minutes to pick it up. I have read three library books since last Saturday, plus one on my kindle the week before that. If I haven’t got a book to read I feel quite bereft. I sometimes read in bed, but prefer to play scrabble instead.

leemw711 Fri 11-May-18 18:50:14

I read voraciously and my favourite time is just before going to sleep. As a retired librarian I love books and will read anything and everything but my absolute favourite is crime, especially the Peters: Peter James, Peter Robinson and Peter May. All great, all different! Try them if you haven’t already read them!

Charleygirl Sat 07-Apr-18 21:51:31

I prefer to read in bed at night and frequently do so for a couple of hours but I do try to switch off the light at midnight or I could get carried away if I was reading an exciting book- crime or thriller.

I also enjoy reading in the garden. I thought since I retired I would read more during the day but something stops me- going back to my childhood I think- like others.

Happysexagenarian Sat 07-Apr-18 21:34:17

I usually read when I go to bed and when I wake up and have my morning cuppa. D.Hubby does the same. I don't often read during the day unless I'm sitting in the garden, and never when the TV is on, too distracting. I have a kindle but I much prefer real paper books. I'm not a very intellectual reader; paperbacks, novels, biographies, crime and mysteries, even childrens books. When I finish a book I like to read magazines for a while before I start another book to get the previous one out of my head.

AlgeswifeVal Wed 28-Feb-18 17:53:41

I love reading. Mainly crime fiction books. The trouble I have is my husband keeps talking to me, I answer him, then end up reading the same paragraph a second time. I find this annoying but even though I moan about it he still does it.

Parsleywin Mon 26-Feb-18 10:53:41

Magazines - I used to really love them, and couldn't wait for publication day. I'd love to recapture that feeling but they all seem to be full of ads and the lives of 'slebs', so don't appeal to me at all.

Parsleywin Mon 26-Feb-18 10:50:33

I agree with so much of what has already been said - I was discouraged from daytime reading as a child too. Why??? But maybe that just made it more attractive! As my mother grew frail I used to suggest reading during the day, but she still felt it would be a lazy indulgence... a little of which remains with me I think, so I'm inspired now by the experience of others to make the effort to read more by day. It's definitely easier in the better light too!

adaunas Mon 26-Feb-18 10:18:56

Whenever I can, usually on my kindle or phone. Reading in bed stops me worrying about insomnia. I used to lie awake for ages, but a few pages of a familiar book and I’m asleep again. Audio books are a great idea for driving or housework and ironing. I’ve listened to endless Georgette Heyer.

shysal Fri 23-Feb-18 09:16:34

Never buy magazines, but my favourite publications are the Screwfix catalogue (all those neat packs of nails and screws! blush) and the Lakeland one.

Urmstongran Thu 22-Feb-18 18:41:58

Me too Floradora9 ! Maybe I’m too old (or just not bothered) but I don’t know many/hardly any of the ‘celebrities’! If I ever buy a magazine it’s ‘Psychologies’ but even that depends on what’s inside as it’s expensive.

Floradora9 Thu 22-Feb-18 17:58:20

What magazines do you magazines readers read ? I cannot ever see one I would enjoy reading . Give me a book any day .

goldengirl Thu 22-Feb-18 15:48:40

I read mostly in the evenings and before I go to sleep. Books and the newspaper - and even the Cornflake packet if there's nothing else around grin. Reading is my favourite activity

newnanny Thu 22-Feb-18 13:39:16

I used to read in bed before I slept but now since early retirement I have luxury of reading in morning or afternoon if I wish so less reading in bed.

Legs55 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:11:55

I read a book when I go to bed, at least half an hour but often longer, I don't have a Kindle or iPad. I remember reading by torchlight under the covers as a child, I always had my nose in a book.

I have my newspaper delivered (shop is too far away for me to walk), 1 Newspaper Monday to Friday, 2 papers on Saturday & 3 Sunday. My papers are there before I get up so I read them when I have my Breakfast, Sunday it can take me most of the day with breaks to read my papers & do crosswords/sudoku.

I also read Magazines during the day, rarely do I pick a book unless I'm on Holiday, I usually take 6/7 books for a week (I travel by car) as I'm like a "bear with a sore head" if I've nothing to read.

I buy my DGSs books for Birthday/Christmas & DD & her OH read to DGS1 from being tiny & will do the same with DGS2 when he old enough.

I also read magazines during the day, I have quite a busy life so Magazines can sit around for a couple of months before I read them. As for which is more important books or housework, books win everytime, gardening however is a different matterhmm

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 22:30:22

I found myself reading the GN Book of the Month until 2 in the morning because I had to finish it!

Eloethan Wed 21-Feb-18 21:45:57

I read the newspaper for about half an hour each morning after I've taken the dog out. I nearly always read a book on my weekly 1 hour each way train journey and on my weekly 30 minutes each way tube journey. Otherwise, it's when I go to bed but usually I go to bed later than intended and then feel too tired to read.

I read on plane journeys and used to read on the beach but we rarely have beach holidays now.

I tend to find current novels much less unputdownable than I used to and sometimes go back to old favourites.

Shizam Wed 21-Feb-18 20:53:59

On the tube. And in the loo!