Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What time of day do you read.

(90 Posts)
gmelon Tue 20-Feb-18 16:12:25

The traditional "couple of chapters in bed" or do you have a favourite , set aside time to read?
What do you eat while you are reading?

When do you read?
Is it something you just can't wait to get back to?

We all seem to have lots to do including the general housework and chores and of course there are those who have jobs.

A book sits there calling out to me waiting to reveal its next twist.

mollie Tue 20-Feb-18 16:50:02

I used to read at night, in bed, but don’t now. Now I fill gaps through the day by readings. I’ll read a newspaper while eating lunch. Can’t read while travelling or walking - have seen people doing that, just plain daft. Nowadays I have plenty of free time as I don’t work so it makes no sense to me not to use my time doing something I enjoy, particularly in the winter.

M0nica Tue 20-Feb-18 16:53:46

Whenever I have 'blank' period. Sat and read my kindle at the doctors surgery twice today. No magazines and the only alternative was a tv screen randomly showing surgery and general health information.

Jane10 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:00:55

I read whenever I can. My kindle if awake early, the newspaper when it arrives, my kindle again if I'm eating lunch on my own at home then again once I'm in bed at night. Reading is a major major (deliberate repeat!) part of my life.

winterwhite Tue 20-Feb-18 17:16:41

Interesting thread. For me, fiction still only for the traditional few chapters in bed. As a result don’t read enough modern fiction. When I was a teenager I hooted with laughter at the old dictum about not reading novels in the morning. Find I follow it myself though. For when not feeling up to much or winter afternoons I have my comfort read favourites, including Biggles and Margery Fish gardening books. Holiday cottages with a secluded garden for lazing and reading essential.

Smithy Tue 20-Feb-18 17:22:12

I always read in bed, never during the day, the exception being a lovely warm sunny day. If I'm not doing anything special I will get my garden chair out and read in the garden and have a bit of lunch if it stays warm.

jusnoneed Tue 20-Feb-18 17:52:59

I read for an hour or so mid afternoon, using my kindle, usually with a mug of hot chocolate to drink.
I also read for a while when I go to bed, check the forums I use and then read some of whichever book I have started on the ipad.

eazybee Tue 20-Feb-18 18:43:53

First thing in the morning, newspaper on my tablet, and last thing at night. When I travel, train or coach, and in the evening if I am watching television. when I have breakfast and lunch, not supper though.Rarely read in the day; don't know why.

Marydoll Tue 20-Feb-18 18:48:50

I like to read the news paper with my breakfast, the news on my tablet in the evening and books in bed.
However, I never seem to get the time these days.

wildswan16 Tue 20-Feb-18 18:54:47

Read at odd times during the day, but when in bed I now listen to audio books which we get free via the library. I have managed to "listen" and enjoy several books that I could never manage to get past the first few pages of previously. The only problem is I tend to fall asleep while listening and then spend ten minutes trying to find my place the next night.

carolc12 Tue 20-Feb-18 18:56:24

I usually read when i go to bed, but do read a bit during the day if i have some spare time, in the summer i do like to sit in the garden and read.

Auntieflo Tue 20-Feb-18 18:59:10

I usually read when I go to bed, than again when I wake in the morning. DH always brings me a cuppa to wake me up, and I grab my book. Than again while having breakfast. Sometimes at lunch times, while eating a sandwich. Now we are retired, I can read for as long as I like, but do feel guilty if I know something needs doing.

ffinnochio Tue 20-Feb-18 19:02:15

Depends on the book.

Charleygirl Tue 20-Feb-18 19:08:03

I would read a magazine during the day but a book in bed. I usually read for nearly two hours when I go to bed and like smithy on a warm summer's day I will read a book outdoors.

tanith Tue 20-Feb-18 19:23:20

I read papers and news on my iPad while eating breakfast my current book at bedtime in the Winter but I read a lot more during the day in the Summer while enjoying the peace and quiet and hopefully the sunshine in the garden.

Bellanonna Tue 20-Feb-18 19:44:10

Books in bed, in waiting rooms, on trains, anywhere I have to wait.

Jane10 Tue 20-Feb-18 19:44:22

I used to want to read all the time when I was a child but was always being told to stop reading and go out and play or get on with chores. When I had my own children I resolved to let them read as much as they wanted to. Result - they didn't want to!! So unfair.

lemongrove Tue 20-Feb-18 20:32:13

Same here Jane I always had my nose in a book, and actually still do.No special times, I read morning Noon and night.?So many books, so little time.

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 20:41:41

Papers at various times but my book in bed or at the hairdressers.

threexnanny Tue 20-Feb-18 21:00:52

Reading a book is for last thing at night or on holiday. At the hairdressers I want to read all the glossy mags. I don't want to buy!

annodomini Tue 20-Feb-18 21:03:02

Any time but principally last thing at night and early morning between waking up and getting up.

Floradora9 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:46:42

I am with lemongrove I read for hours every day getting through t 4 books a week or more. I order them from our local library we are allowed to order 24 at a time so once I have reached my limited I order in DH's name . He does read them as well . Joy of joys the library has Peter May's latest bestseller waiting for me plus Eddie Mair's autobiography. I love listening to him on the radio . I also keep an eye on kindle unlimited free offers and have just had three months free . I like them for biographies .

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Feb-18 22:40:57

I used to want to read all the time when I was a child but was always being told to stop reading and go out and play
Me too Jane10 "Get your nose out of that book and go and get some fresh air!"

Now I just tend to read at night, but for far too long if the book is really gripping. If I'm holiday I read any time of the day as well.

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 06:58:37

I used to read for hours especially if it was a book I was really into but these days I only manage a page or two when I go to bed. If I find something I can't put down I'll maybe read it over lunch but lately I haven't found a book that interesting!

TwiceAsNice Wed 21-Feb-18 08:39:11

I read any old time according to what I'm doing that day. I have a kindle but still like to read a real book as well. Always spend part of Saturday reading two newspapers but don't buy one other days although DD1 brings me home a copy of the Standard which I usually read in need that night