Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Two books I have recently really enjoyed

(56 Posts)
Floradora9 Thu 22-Mar-18 13:11:18

Thanks to my local library I can order up to 24 books at a time . I had two really enjoyable ones this week
Joanna Trollope....An Unsuitable Match
Very typical of her writings but I think her main characters are ageing as she is and yes the main character did have an agga .

The Only Girl in The World by Maude Julien
In places this is not an east book to read. The author was in fact a designer baby for her father and he kept her away from normal life until she was 18 . Now 60 she still suffers nightmares about him. She overcame her demons to become a therapist herself.

GrandyC Thu 15-Nov-18 10:11:25

I love Joanna Trollope and in her later books, she writes about older characters. Love her attention to domestic detail and her very realistic characters.

callgirl1 Thu 15-Nov-18 16:55:00

KittyL, I loved the Georgette Heyer books, read them all in my teens, they were recommended by Jessie Wilson, my English teacher.
I`ve recently read The Tattooist of Auschwitz, a very moving book, can`t remember the author, sorry. And have just finished The Teacher, by Katerina Diamond, very good story, but also very gruesome in parts.

Florabunda60 Mon 10-Dec-18 03:13:42

Elly Griffiths for me too!
Her latest which is not I believe in Ruth Galloway series doesn't appeal though!

anewilliams5 Mon 21-Jan-19 08:11:25

Just read the enemy series by Charlie Higson. Charlie Higson's The Enemy is the first in a jaw-dropping zombie horror series for teens. But you can enjoy it too in your spare time.
bit.ly/2T6sx7h

bookaddict Tue 22-Jan-19 11:28:07

Have mentioned on this topic before several good reads I've enjoyed in the past but two or three I read again over the recent holidays and I'm happy to recommend a couple of them to all on here. 'The Belle Fields' and its sequel 'Ashes of Roses' by Lora Adams were two I've re-read and enjoyed them again just as much as the first time - couldn't put them down! If you try them expect plenty of twists and turns, happy and not so happy goings on and very descriptive narrative of times not so long ago! Be ready for the unexpected end to Belle Fields but everything comes right thankfully in the sequel! Anyone who tries 'em hope you enjoy!