Gransnet forums

Books/book club

For a 9 year old

(92 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 30-Mar-18 11:55:51

Advice on how to wean a 9 year old off Enid Blyton? She reads loads of EB books and while it's good that she enjoyed reading and devours these by the bucketload, I'd like her to have some variety. Can anyone suggest a classic she would enjoy? She's a lovely girl, enjoys dancing and the piano. If I pick the wrong Classic it might put her off. Any idea?
Must admit I was hooked on EB too!

Greyduster Sat 31-Mar-18 16:43:16

Has she been introduced to Greek myths and legends? Most children find some fascination with them. Usborne do some decent ones, but there are ones for older children too.

linjon Sat 31-Mar-18 16:47:52

My 9 yr old GS enjoys David Walliams, Roald Dahl, Tom Fletcher. He is currently on his 3rd Harry Potter. Surely these will be the classics of the future. Also agree with all of the previous suggestions.

leeds22 Sat 31-Mar-18 17:32:29

DH is 75 and still has to read the full set of books by an author. I think it started with Biggles.

mrsmopp Sat 31-Mar-18 17:48:54

What a wonderful set of responses! Some excellent ideas here. I am a bit out of touch with what's around these days, so the suggestions are really helpful. Some I had forgotten about, others I had never heard of.
I have never criticised her choice of books, as that's the wrong attitude, but I just wanted to suggest nicely, 'here is a book you might enjoy,'. I was a EB fan as a child and we all grow out of it, but she does deserve credit for getting kids to read.
I was always reading as we didn't have all the distractions that are around nowadays, TV, Internet, social media etc.
Thanks again for all these recommendations. Appreciated ?

Emelle Sat 31-Mar-18 19:59:07

I loved The Chalet School Books by Elinor M Brent Dyer at a similar age as does my GD now. Lovely school and adventure stories set in the Tirol and the Alps and there are about 60 in the series.

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 20:01:30

^ she'll move on when she's ready.^
I agree
I don't read Enid Blyton books now.

Emelle do you still have the Chalet School books - they are very collectable apparently!

Jalima1108 Sat 31-Mar-18 20:02:45

DS was never a great reader of fiction, preferring factual books, but he did enjoy the Roald Dahl books - always a good stocking filler for him!

travelsafar Sun 01-Apr-18 07:59:16

I remember loving the stories about Pippy Long Stocking. Oh and Heidi too.

adaunas Sun 01-Apr-18 11:55:41

Emelle, my daughters and granddaughters love the Chalet School books. I collected th

adaunas Sun 01-Apr-18 11:57:00

Them all as a child and they still sit on my bookcase for them to read when they visit.

Pat609 Sun 01-Apr-18 16:52:40

I don't understand why you would want to discourage your grand daughter from reading anything. In an age when youngsters seemed to be glued to computers, surely reading anything should be encouraged and surely it is up to her what she wants to read. Enid Blyton may not be the best, but to have Gran actively trying to change her reading material isn't ideal. In time she will grow up and find other author's books more interesting, some you probably won't approve of, so leave her alone and let her enjoy the innocence of childhood.

grannybuy Mon 02-Apr-18 00:53:49

I didn't enjoy the 'classics' until I was a little bit older. Read complete works of Enid Blyton - great. Like Grandma70s, What Katy Did and Anne of Green Gables were all time favourites, then Little Women. Sadly, these might be dated for today's children. My DGD's enjoyed Judy Moody, also Ramona. As others have suggested, take her to a bookshop. If she's a reader, she'll love browsing.

mrsmopp Tue 03-Apr-18 16:52:50

Pat60, I have said I would gently suggest she might enjoy something else. I would not discourage her from reading anything. As I was an EB fan myself. Surely there's no harm in showing her there are some wonderful books out there.
I have never been critical of her. There are some great suggestions on here.
I'm not asking her to read War and Peace!

Elrel Tue 03-Apr-18 17:18:05

About 45 years ago I'd buy DD (in primary school then) paperback books every few weeks. Usually one of her choice and one of mine.
I encouraged DGD to keep reading by (at her request) sharing and discussing a bedtime chapter or two when she stayed with me. We both enjoyed the Hetty Feather stories until at 12/13 her phone took over. I still intend to read the last books in the series!

Elrel Tue 03-Apr-18 17:28:15

Emelle, Adaunas - did you know that there is a Chalet School society? They have a newsletter and, I think, occasional meetings. An acquaintance told me it ezpxisted when we were enthusiastically recalling Pamela Brown's Blue Door theatre books. She gave me an article about Pamela Brown, possibly from the CS newsletter.

I loved Little Women 70 years ago, felt the series trailed off a bit but read all four. Still have my original '48 copy which was often reread. Tried to reread LW again quite recently and found it had lost some of its charm. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Jalima1108 Tue 03-Apr-18 17:31:39

I read The Borrowers books again when I was an adult and still loved that series.