Gransnet forums

Books/book club

April book club - Dear Mrs Bird

(82 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Apr-18 16:40:53

The winners should have their copies or be getting them very soon. The book is out on Thursday for anyone who would like to join in. Find out more HERE

If you do get a free copy, don't forget to leave your thoughts/questions for the author on this thread by the end of the month.

And watch out for our May book giveaway - coming soon

grannyqueenie Thu 12-Apr-18 18:35:38

One arrived in the post for me today, that was a surprise I wasn’t expecting. Need to get stuck in now!

pauline123 Fri 13-Apr-18 00:18:01

Many thanks. A copy arrived for me today. It looks great, looking forward to reading it

rocketstop Fri 13-Apr-18 14:23:00

Thank you for my copy, I shall look forward to starting it soon, and as usual reporting back here !

gillybob Fri 13-Apr-18 18:39:24

Well I never . Postman only gone and delivered me a lovely book ! Here’s me thinking I’d missed out ( still puzzled about the form though) . I feel really cheered up . Thank you GNHQ . Can’t wait to start it . Might even have a cheeky drink with it . I’ve got some delicious Edinburgh Rasperry Gin I bought at the Scottish Christmas meet up . That’s settled then . smile

eGJ Fri 13-Apr-18 21:44:20

Came back today to find Dear Mrs Bird on the mat. Thank you GN; it looked so inviting that I opened it just for a look, but am now well into Chapter 3! Proper review soon I reckon!

gma Fri 13-Apr-18 22:25:08

Lovely surprise this morning when my copy of Dear Mrs Bird arrived. It brightened up a gloomy and damp morning!!!!!!! I look forward to getting stuck into it!!! Thank you gransnet!

inishowen Sat 14-Apr-18 14:05:41

I started my book last night and it looks really good. For the last couple of months I have not had a link to the thread to ask a question about the book. Has something changed? I used to get a reminder to ask my question and a link to the thread.

hulahoop Sun 15-Apr-18 19:10:32

Just got my book it looks a good read . Can anyone tell me where I post my question .

Pittcity Sun 15-Apr-18 19:34:08

Post your comments and questions on this thread. It'll be on your "I'm on" list if you've posted.

eGJ Mon 16-Apr-18 05:35:37

GN you’ve done it again! You chose an amusing, thought provoking novel for April. A suprising central theme but Mrs Bird herself is beautifully drawn; she LEAPS OFF THE PAGE! The other characters and the war-time local colour keep you turning the pages long into the night. I was sorry that it had to end!
A. J. you say that a 1939 magazine inspired you to write Dear Mrs Bird - have you any more novels inspired by these magazines up your sleeve? I’ll be in the queue if you do!
Thank you GN (and AJP) for lifting the spirits and raising a few chuckles and smiles smile and flowers all round

LadyGracie Mon 16-Apr-18 19:21:05

What a great book, it made me laugh out loud,it also made me cry. I loved all the characters, all so well described you felt you almost knew them and their personal situations. My old boss was a ‘Henrietta type’ her face kept popping into my mind!

I look forward to reading more by A J Pearce, I definitely enjoyed this one!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Apr-18 17:30:14

inishowen

I started my book last night and it looks really good. For the last couple of months I have not had a link to the thread to ask a question about the book. Has something changed? I used to get a reminder to ask my question and a link to the thread.

Hmmm - we generally start a thread (like this one) but that's it. There have been a couple of occasions some time ago when we would email people but not for a good while

grannyqueenie Tue 17-Apr-18 20:40:28

I’m only a few chapters in but already it’s made me smile and at times laugh out loud. In the 50s and 60s my mother was an avid reader of the women’s magazines of the day. I would sneakily pore over them when she wasn’t looking, always beginning with the problem page. It’s a good job the agony aunts weren’t as straight laced as Mrs Bird, I’d never have learned anything!

inishowen Wed 18-Apr-18 10:00:40

Thank you gransnet for answering my question. I have really enjoyed the book, and the stiff upper lip attitude really struck a chord with me. My gran and aunt worked in a munitions factory, but until recently I had no idea how dangerous this job was. They would brush the subject aside as if they'd done very little. My mother lost her fiancee during the war and again said very little. I wonder if the author thinks this was the only way people could cope? There was so much trauma and suffering that had to be bottled up, otherwise the country would have collapsed. Sadly I was brought up in the fifties with the same mindset. I was not allowed to show feelings.

Persistentdonor Wed 18-Apr-18 13:16:58

I was happy to receive a copy of "Dear Mrs Bird" and have enjoyed reading the book, which features two plucky young women living through The Blitz of London in WWll.

The author, A.J.Pearce, has created a clever plot line, and caused me to laugh with wonderful descriptions, (such as: she was wearing a grim expression and her second best navy blue skirt,) but the Blitz caused great destruction, and sorrow is inevitable.

I would say this is a book of two halves, but I feel it is well written, and I can happily recommend it as a Jolly Good Read.

Grannyknot Wed 18-Apr-18 13:39:26

I received a copy of this book. It evoked memories of me as a young child poring over my Auntie' Phyllis' English magazines (she used to receive the Woman's Weekly) that seemed so exotic yet "old-fashioned" all at the same time - to me growing up in Natal, South Africa.

I enjoyed the book and the descriptions are wonderful, it often made me smile. I liked the gentle unpicking of difficult scenarios - being wartime - depicted in the letters to the "Agony Aunt", of lost loves, loneliness, lust and longing (so much alliteration!) smile

The "Agony Aunt" aspect also reminded me of the likes of some of the posts on Gransnet - made me think, are we an "Agony Aunt Collective?" shock hmm

I found myself skim reading towards the end, but that's because I am an impatient reader.

cookiemonster66 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:03:58

Many thanks for the book 'Dear Mrs Bird' I have spent a very pleasant sunny afternoon in the garden reading it from cover to cover :D

GrannyBear Thu 19-Apr-18 14:42:33

‘Dear Mrs Bird’ is a delightful book, light reading but nevertheless most enjoyable. The naiveté of the main character, Emmeline (Emmy), and the predictability of the main storyline only serve to add to its charm.

Emmy dreams of becoming a journalist, a war correspondent to be precise. She applies for a job at a local newspaper and even before her interview, she has visions of being sent on dangerous assignments across London in pursuit of stories at the cutting edge of political reporting. However, when the job materialises, she is a junior typist reporting to Mrs Bird, a bossy Agony Aunt who writes the Problems Page in a failing woman’s magazine.

Mrs Bird is well characterised in the book. She is a large woman with a large voice. Using capital letters to document most of her conversations is an effective way of portraying her as a bit of a bully who is not interested in any points of view but her own.

The description of what life was like for a young girl like Emmy during WW2 was totally engaging and her attempts to be both sophisticated and knowledgeable were on some occasions heart-rending and at other times downright funny. What shone through for me throughout the book was Emmy’s loyalty to her best friend Bunty and her determination to keep their friendship alive despite tragic circumstances.

This is an entertaining and well-written book which amply demonstrates the survival of the human spirit in times of severe adversity and, in addition, it presents a balanced view of difficult times at both national and personal levels. ‘Dear Mrs Bird’ is AJ Pearce’s debut novel. I trust she will keep writing and I look forward to reading more from her in due course.

I would like to know from the Author whether or not she used any real letters from the magazines which were her inspiration.

gillyknits Fri 20-Apr-18 18:06:29

I agree with a GrannyBear that this was a light read but I quite enjoyed it. There were clear descriptions of the era especially during the bombing raids. I think it really captured the fear and chaos when the bombs were falling.
I did feel that the depiction of Mrs Bird as a large person with a loud personality was a bit predictable but amusing all the same.
Unusually for a book about war, this depicted a forgotten aspect of women left at home alone to cope. Young girls thrown into temptation when meeting men in uniform.. The letters written to an agony Aunt were a a good way of depicting this .Mrs.Bird’s refusal to reply to any contentious issues showed the morals of a previous generation coming into conflict with a new generation.
I can’t say that I laughed out loud but it certainly made me cry a couple of times.
Will the author be writing further books about the war time years?

GeminiJen Sat 21-Apr-18 16:17:59

Thanks GN and AJ Pearce. Another good read flowers
I’ve been reading a lot of ‘worthy but seriously dry’ stuff of late and this was the perfect antidote. I enjoyed it right from the beginning and found it well written, funny and touching. What’s even more impressive is that it’s the author’s first novel.
Emmy is a very endearing heroine - intelligent, funny, brave and loyal but far from perfect. I should think it’s impossible not to warm to her and to root for her throughout. Even if her actions may at times be misjudged, she’s always well meaning. Her narrative voice is engaging and upbeat and sets the tone of the book: The sun had pulled its socks up and was making a good effort in the almost cloudless winter sky. However, I liked that the author wasn’t afraid to feature darker moments amongst the light-hearted elements (because, of course, the cloudless sky would be a gift to the Luftwaffe bombers).
The other characters are similarly well drawn. I admit a soft spot for the dishevelled Mr. Collins - journalist, writer and, according to Emmy, mortifyingly old at around forty five. I also warmed to Roy (firefighter with a nifty foxtrot), Kathleen (with her unruly red hair and knitted cardigans) and poor Clarence the Post Boy with a Crush. The 'Baddies' were equally well drawn. I kept imagining the late Margaret Rutherford in the role of Mrs Bird, with her imperious show some backbone approach to life. Who do we have to play that role today? Less believable for me was the character of Charles: given his absence on duty, his promise to teach Emmy how to ride a motorbike so that she could become a dispatch rider seemed a tad far fetched. However, it’s Emmy’s friendship with Bunty that helps her get through the days. Dear Mrs. Bird also acts as a reminder of the important role played by women in World War 2; and that constant danger wasn’t faced only by those serving on the front line.
The reader is transported back to a time when people still wrote letters and used them to express their feelings. As Emmy notes, I could see people were ever so frank when they wrote in (to Woman’s Friend) which I thought was quite brave. The importance of letters to those serving away from home comes across clearly too, providing those receiving them with a reminder of what they are fighting for.
Finally, I found the Author’s Note at the end interesting, where AJ Pearce describes how many of the readers’ letters in Dear Mrs Bird were inspired by letters and features printed in wartime magazines: everything from lamb’s brain stew to how to knit your own swimwear. I can bear personal witness to the toe curling embarrassment of seeing my father in just such a creation: i.e. knitted swimming trunks, witnessed by my 10 year old self as he emerged from the waves: a sight never to be forgotten!
It’s always a good sign when you miss a book once it’s gone, and I wished I could have stayed inside this one a little longer. I want to know what happens next for Emmy and Bunty and how life turns out for Mr. Collins, Kathleen et al.; and I really hope there will be a sequel (with a lot of Mr Collins in it!) because I would love to know just what Emmy Does Next.
For the author - Congratulations on an impressive debut. This strikes me as perfect Sunday evening TV viewing, with its mix of ‘pluck’, female friendship, romance, danger, war and the office secrets Emmy is hiding. Any plans for a film or TV adaptation? And, hopefully, a sequel?

Maggiemaybe Sat 21-Apr-18 20:09:15

After giving March's GN book a very lukewarm review (and feeling guilty and ungrateful), my heart sank after I'd got through the first few chapters of Dear Mrs Bird without warming to it at all. I initially found the language very stilted, as if 1940s terminology had just been used to hammer the setting home for the modern reader. And the first chapters seemed a bit lightweight and fluffy. The characterisation of Mrs Bird struck me as unsubtle and stereotypical. I was steeling myself to write another ungracious and critical review.

Well, I was wrong (phew!). I soon got into the swing of the 1940s language, and though the overall tone of Dear Mrs Bird was light at first, it certainly became darker as the story progressed. It's fluffy till it isn't.... The descriptions of blitzed and war torn London were hard-hitting and vivid. I began to believe in the dreadful Mrs Bird (who'd have been jolly cross about the duplicated paragraph on page 196, by the way grin). And then the central tragedy of the book struck and really gripped me. That section absolutely captured the fear, the bravery, the stoicism and the horror of London under attack.

So thank you, GN and the author, for a spiffing read. I would like to ask A J Pearce about the setting for her next novel - will it be a period piece again or in the present day?

Parsleywin Sat 21-Apr-18 22:23:12

Like some previous reviewers, I too assumed that this book was going to be too light to be satisfying. Not so!

I think the author (are we allowed to know what her initials stand for?) was very skilful in capturing the feel of wartime and the bravery and endurance which seem a million light years away from Generation Snowflake.

Thanks for my copy of a book I would probably not otherwise have read, and I very much look forward to AJ's next one.

cornergran Sat 21-Apr-18 23:33:14

I’ve enjoyed this book, mostly read sitting in the garden in the sunshine so a million miles away from war in a city. It made me think of my parents and their experiences in London, it brought back my mother describing returning from a night shift and pausing on a railway bridge to see if her home was still standing. I recontacted the stoicism and unthinking bravery of the times.

I found the writing style and language took me straight into the era and so it was not a distraction. Although I would say this was an easy and fairly speedy read it wasn’t superficial. Mrs Bird was my grandmother in attitudes, if noisier and seemingly more powerful. The closeness of friendship a reminder of the strength and understanding that can flow from another person.

I enjoyed this book, I was sorry to get to the end, as the author grew up in Hampshire I wonder why she chose to focus on London and if she plans to set the scene for her next book there.

So, thank you GN and thank you to A J Pearce, I am another who would probably not have picked this book from a shelf but am nevertheless pleased to have read it.

Jane10 Sun 22-Apr-18 09:22:32

I'm currently enjoying this book too. I had to buy it though! Anyway, I thought it struck a really authentic note in the way that that 'Chilbury Ladies Choir' one absolutely did not!!
I love the mass observation diaries and also EM Delafield's books. If people are interested in this era then I strongly suggest that they try them. One of EM Delafield's books is about her time as a volunteer in wartime London.
Sorry if I've gone off course!

Pittcity Sun 22-Apr-18 18:02:23

What a fabulous read for a sunny afternoon in the garden. Plenty of humour and sadness.
Mrs Bird is a larger than life character of Hyacinth Bucket proportions and the story hinges on her foibles.
I too would like to know what happens next. Will Emmy settle with Charles or become a career woman? It was not easy to do both at the time.
I was drawn into the story and fascinated by the descriptions of the watime London that my parents were born into.
Highly recommended.