Gransnet forums

Books/book club

June Book Meet me at the Museum

(64 Posts)
Greenfinch Wed 30-May-18 20:04:47

Thanks very much for my copy which arrived this morning.
They are quick off the mark this month. It looks like an interesting read and not too lengthy.I am looking forward to starting it this evening.

Greenfinch Sat 16-Jun-18 19:21:56

annep I cannot agree.I believe in openness in relationships.I would hate to think my DH was carrying on a correspondence with a woman without my knowledge.If I knew ,I would be much more likely to accept the platonic situation.If I were Tina ,I would feel incredibly guilty.

annep Sat 16-Jun-18 18:51:46

Greenfinch so far ( halfway through book) I don't believe she is doing anything wrong in corresponding.. Her husband apparently isn't aware of the letters and that's ok. We don't have to know everything about our partner's lives. We are entitled to privacy. It is providing a need that she has for someone to talk to/ express her feelings to. Giving so much detail about others I'm not so sure about. The only time I would do this is with a counsellor, where there is a confidentiality agreement. That's just a quick comment so far.

annep Sat 16-Jun-18 18:35:55

Only halfway through. trying not to read comments. enjoying. Reading two books at same time.

Buddie Sat 16-Jun-18 15:45:17

Just finished reading Meet Me at the Museum and have really enjoyed the journey traced through these letters. From the slightly formal opening epistles through more relaxed sharing of news and eventually the confident exchange of thoughts and feelings their relationship gradually unfolded. I am pleased they kept to writing letters which resulted in a more measured pace to the unfolding of events as they do throughout life rather than the rush and often hasty responses of email.
I did not see the ending coming but did not feel cheated by it. I had had my suspicions regarding the relationship between Tina and Edward but not the outcome. Much as I would like to see another novel by Anne Youngson I do not look for a sequel. For me I prefer to draw my own conclusions although I do hope that Tina eventually achieves her goal of visiting the Tollund Man.
The detail of both their lives suggests a good knowledge of both locations and the rural way of life, too, but I am assuming the story of the Tollund Man himself was the starting point for this novel and should be interested to know if this is so. The exchange of letters proved an ideal way to set the pace for this novel but would not suit every story so would Anne use this format again or would a more traditional chapter style be preferred?

cornergran Sat 16-Jun-18 12:37:06

Well, I did read this book in the garden as I had hoped but have held back from a review while issues raised within me settled. Somes of the content of the 'conversation' beteween Tina and Anders mirrors current family issues, particularly loss and lack of emotional closeness.

I enjoyed the format of the book, having lived in the area of Tina's home I could see the huge fields and recalled how bleak the countryside could be as well as the potential for beauty. Tina's emotional loneliness was tangible alongside the practical busyiness of her day to day life. The distance that grew between Tina and her husband understandable and sadly all too common. I didn't blame either but rather was sad for them both.

I was fascinated by the way both Tina and Aders grew bolder as their relationship grew stronger. The letters reminded me that it is sometimes easier to be honest with someone we have never met than it is with those close by and that the skill of letter writing is now lost to many.

I also saw a deep friendship rather than embryo lovers. I wanted to urge Tina on in her independent life, to say 'you can do it'. Perhaps we read into this book what we will. Unusually I hope there int a sequel. I say unusually because my preference is often to know more of characters I have enjoyed. I think it is the right place to leave Tina and Anders, we can each visualise our own preferred future for them.

I would be interested to know if Anne has first hand knowledge of farming life, how she knew it was the right time to write this book and whether she will continue to write in letter format.

Thank you Anne and GN for the opportunity to read an absorbing book I would perhaps not have picked from a shelf.

Pittcity Thu 14-Jun-18 16:05:40

I read this book a letter at a time to give the contents time to sink in just as Tina and Anders did.
I found the correspondence thought provoking and moving. Tears came to my eyes when Anders wrote, "Write soon for I have no one else to talk to."
I think that the uncertainty of the ending was as it should be. I didn't see love letters but friendship and mutual interest.....probably a better basis for a relationship than the one that Tina had with Edward....

Anne obviously drew on her life experience to express the feelings of the characters. I would like to know if she regrets not writing her first novel until later in life.

I have now put a visit to see Tollund Man on my bucket list.

chloe1984 Tue 12-Jun-18 17:22:57

How surprised was I to find that Tina and I live in the same town. I really enjoyed this book not my usual read but I loved the letter format and found it easy to read. Very thought provoking in places whilst also being a bit quirky. Now waiting for a sequel.

Alygran Mon 11-Jun-18 18:17:44

Finished reading this today. I enjoyed the sharing of lives and thoughts in a letter and wondered if people were more or less revealing of themselves in this format. The letters allowed themes to be developed and set out in a way that would not be possible in conversation. The correspondents were able to reflect on their thoughts and responses. The ending surprised me and left me asking what happens now. Perhaps the loose ends are a sign of a sequel.

toscalily Mon 11-Jun-18 17:40:01

I very much enjoyed this and the way we got to know the two main characters through their letters to each other. I don't think we should judge Tina harshly for her feelings of discontent and having taken the wrong path as a young woman, surely we all have the "what ifs" in our lives. With time and hindsight most of us can see where we might have been better off making different decisions, choosing different directions. I'm not sure a sequel would be appropriate, but if there was one I would definitely read it and will look out for another book by this author.

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Jun-18 09:59:42

smile

Kate13 Mon 11-Jun-18 08:02:33

Got it - Thanks Maggiemaybe flowers

Maggiemaybe Sun 10-Jun-18 00:33:09

See my post of 2nd June earlier on this thread, Kate13.

Kate13 Sat 09-Jun-18 20:48:50

Hi readers
Interested in how you get books via GN?

Miriam Sat 09-Jun-18 20:19:22

I really enjoyed this book, I loved the way we saw their feelings develop over time through their letters. I am not sure that a sequel would be a good idea I rather like the mystery of not knowing if they ever meet just incase they do not stay together.
I would like to know if there is another book in the pipeline and if so would it be the same letter format or a different style.

Purpledaffodil Sat 09-Jun-18 14:00:36

I just loved this book and read it almost in one long sitting. I don’t usually like the letter format, but this was so well written, I found the subtle filling in of events and characters really enjoyable. There were several times when I felt like underlining sentences which really resonated with me. (I didn’t though, disapprove of marking books this way ?)
Unlike Liz46 I approved of the metaphor of life being like a row of raspberries, in which you may always see more at a second viewing.
I did like the characters of both Anders and Tina, although I have never been a farmer’s wife, I could identify with her frustrations and regrets. Not sure if a sequel is necessary, think “Car Share”?
My question to the author is the background scenery of Suffolk and Denmark seems very realistic. Did she spend a lot of time visiting and researching these places?

Liz46 Fri 08-Jun-18 14:24:05

I have just finished Meet me at the Museum. matson, I think there will probably be a sequel. Surely Tina has to go and meet Anders? I found the book a bit slow to start with and was slightly irritated by the repeated references to raspberries which I thought was an effort to 'tie it all together'. The letters were thoughtful and Tina's marriage was interesting. It was an unusual book and if there is a sequel, I will read it.

matson Thu 07-Jun-18 18:58:09

What a lovely book, I liked the format of letter writing.The bond between them was interesting , reading it unfold as it did, they used their correspondence as therapy sessions, counselling each other through grief, family problems and the great hindsights we encounter through lifes journey. Very enjoyable, pleased with the end, will there be a sequel?

Greenfinch Thu 07-Jun-18 11:58:50

I loved this book.It was so different from anything else I have read and the letter format meant I could pick it up and read it if I had a few minutes to spare because each letter was a separate entity and although there was continuity,each one dealt with a different aspect of the writers' lives.

I enjoyed hearing all about their respective families and friends and the letter format made them come alive somehow.The differences regarding their very different home lives was fascinating too.

Anders was a thoughtful and interesting character and ,although I enjoyed reading her letters, I didn't take to Tina and was glad she sort of got her come uppance in the end although it could be argued that she didn't really.I liked the ending which could lead to a follow up story and I liked the moral implications it left us with.

My question to Anne is"Do you think Tina was morally wrong and disloyal to engage in this secret letter writing with someone she had never met ?"

Purpledaffodil Wed 06-Jun-18 20:37:14

Thank you for my copy which arrived yesterday. Mmm! Hardback fiction! Luxury.?

Liz46 Tue 05-Jun-18 17:31:27

Thank you, my book arrived and I sat in the garden and started it this afternoon. I'll post a review when I have finished the book.

Maggiemaybe Tue 05-Jun-18 17:29:16

It's well worth it, Day6. It's lovely to get a free book through the post, and even better if you discover an author that you wouldn't have considered otherwise. Look out for July's offering in the middle of this month. And good luck! smile

Day6 Tue 05-Jun-18 15:07:45

Maggiemaybe, thank you. I found your post helpful! grin I was intrigued by the title of the book but wondered what I had to do to get one!

I'll have to sign up.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 05-Jun-18 12:24:59

You beat me to it again! But those who received copies...do leave your thoughts and questions on this thread. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

annep Mon 04-Jun-18 20:35:16

Maggiemaybe ?.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jun-18 19:13:58

You're welcome, annep. Glad you got a copy of this month's book. Mine arrived today as well, so many thanks, GN. smile