Gransnet forums

Books/book club

August book club - The Cactus. Leave your questions and reviews here

(61 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 31-Jul-18 10:53:24

As it says on the tin grin - but here's the thread to leave your thoughts on The Cactus...to find out more about the book we have a page HERE

GeminiJen Tue 18-Sep-18 14:38:01

Thanks too for your explanation of Tom's use of 'Mom' (enthusiastic last-stage copyediting) grin

GeminiJen Tue 18-Sep-18 14:35:06

Sarah Thanks so much for your feedback. As a former OU person myself, it was good to know that your Masters proved so beneficial smile Good luck with your next novel. I'll be looking out for it flowers

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:36:21

Mapleleaf

Hi Happiyogi.
I'm not sure that it has been written as Mom for the American market, but rather that that is the way Mum is pronounced in the Birmingham area? I may be wrong, but I worked with a colleague who was from West Bromwich, and she always said Mom when talking about her Mum.

As some have mentioned, in Birmingham it’s usual to say ‘mom’ instead of ‘mum’. When I was a child, I used both interchangeably (being half Brummie). In my original manuscript, it was only the Brummie characters who said ‘mom’; everyone else said ‘mum’. Enthusiastic last-stage copyediting for consistency resulted in the universal use of ‘mom’, but I’m happy to report that subsequent editions are in line with my original manuscript.

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:35:38

gillybob

I've just finished this book and have to say it was one of the best books I have read in ages. I was so happy with the final outcome.

One question to Sarah though :

Ed was a pretty awful character throughout the book and as a reader I was not convinced he didn't have something to do with the mothers will, however I wonder what made you decide to "turn him around" into being someone quite reasonable, considering how appallingly he had behaved throughout?

I would love to read a sequel perhaps with Susan showing her amateur legal skills fighting for those who have been wronged. I would also love to read more about her as a mother.

I understand what you mean about Edward’s appalling behaviour, but we only ever see him through Susan’s eyes. I’ve never thought of Susan as an archetypal unreliable narrator, but she has her own particular perspective on Edward, their shared past, and life in general. Susan sees her brother as nasty, scheming and self-indulgent. Someone else might see him as lost, wounded and pitiable; someone else again might see him as exciting, anarchic and fun. No two people ever remember the past in exactly the same way – I know my sister and I don’t when we discuss our childhood. I didn’t want the dispute over the will to be black and white. That storyline was inspired by my work for the Legal Services Ombudsman, investigating complaints about lawyers. In cases related to wills, it was often clear that the source of the complainant’s unhappiness was their relationship with an opposing family member or with the person who had written the will. Although each party believed utterly that the other was in the wrong, there was often merit on both sides. Edward hasn’t quite turned around at the end. He isn’t agreeing to sell the house because he thinks that’s the fair and equitable thing to do; it’s simply that his desire to hold on to the house to spite Susan is trumped by his desire to get his hands on his share of the proceeds of sale so he can do his own thing. Self interest still comes first with Edward. Whether or not he and Susan will reignite their squabbling, learn to tolerate each other, or go their own separate ways remains open to question …

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:34:46

Pittcity

I have just finished The Cactus and enjoyed it because of the well written characters but felt that I knew what was coming next as Susan was thwarted at every turn.
I would like to know if Sarah keeps cacti or are they simply used as a writing device?

I do have cacti but regret to say that Susan puts me to shame on the plant-tending front. My excuse is that my nurturing skills are used up on kids and cats. I have a Christmas Cactus which has managed to survive over ten years and flowers annually – usually in early November, perversely – but the state of some of my other specimens is rather sorry. My publishers gave me a cactus keyring (a real cactus in a miniature plastic dome) at our first meeting, but, somehow, I’ve managed to kill it off. I need to take lessons from Susan and Rob.

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:34:18

GeminiJen

Thanks again to Gransnet and to Sarah Haywood. Another happy reader here smile
First of all, as others have already said, while you can’t judge a book by its cover, this one certainly deserves a mention: a beautifully produced hardback, a joy to hold and read. I love the blooming cactus artwork and the attractive calligraphy. Well done, Two Roads.
As for the story, I didn’t immediately take to Susan: she comes over, at least initially, as judgemental, intolerant of others’ failings and apparently lacking in any warmth or humour, although I did like her independence and determination. As the story continues however, I was drawn in and, eventually, warmed to her and grew to care that all should turn out well for her.
Overall, I found The Cactus to be a funny and insightful story, well written, imagined and observed. It is also a deep, sometimes dark depiction of sibling rivalry, changes in society’s acceptance of teenage pregnancy/unmarried motherhood and the hopelessness of thinking you can control everything in your life.
The supporting cast is well written too: Kate the neighbour, who had a lot more to her than Susan suspected; Rob the gardener, whose persistence was admirable; the awful Aunt Sylvia; Richard, a male version of Susan.....but for whom I did feel a pang of sympathy, as he was so effortlessly replaced by Rob.
One niggle: others have already commented on the use of the word Mom. It jarred a bit with me too. And, while I was almost persuaded by Mapleleaf’s explanation (Birmingham pronunciation), the first time it was used was by Tom (p.7), a new admin assistant in Susan’s London office....?
Finally, quite a few similarly impressive debut novels have featured in the Gransnet Bookclub of late. Many of them, as with this, arose out of Creative Writing courses.
So...I’d like to ask Sarah what prompted her to decide to quit a legal career and write a novel?
And what impact(s) did her Masters have on her writing?
I'd also quite like to find out how Susan copes with motherhood so hoping there might be a sequel at some point?

Writing a novel was something I’d wanted to do for as long as I can remember, but it didn’t feel possible when I was working full time outside the home. When I had my two sons, I took a career break. I was living in Liverpool and working in Manchester at the time, which wasn’t conducive to looking after very young children. I decided that, before returning to my legal career, I would give writing one serious shot. I completed a one-year Open University creative writing course, then chose an MA which required me to submit a full-length novel. I can’t say that the MA had a significant impact on the style or substance of my writing; I was very fortunate that my tutors and fellow students liked the early chapters that I workshopped and gave positive feedback. The main benefits of the MA course for me were, first, having a deadline, which stopped me prevaricating; and secondly, being in a supportive and encouraging environment which gave me the confidence to persevere. I’m delighted by the number of people who’ve been asking about a sequel. I’m currently working on something unrelated to Susan, but I certainly haven’t ruled it out (see earlier answer)!

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:33:36

Maggiemaybe

This was a page turner for me, so for once I've managed to get it read and reviewed early(ish) in the month. The characters were well drawn, and the story had enough twists and turns to hold my interest throughout. Susan was an entertaining individual, with vague hints in some respects of Eleanor Oliphant. And I like the way the cactus theme runs throughout the book. Susan’s prickly disposition, her references to her adolescent self as a plant to be nurtured, the slow bloom, the little one she’s cultivating, even the author’s acknowledgements at the end, from the seed which was planted and which germinated, grew through the rocky patches and flourished after a little pruning and careful tending!

Susan’s own blossoming into a much more likeable person was shown by small steps and subtle shifts. I wasn’t as convinced by her brother’s rather sudden character change at the time of her baby’s birth, from feckless and self-absorbed deadbeat to a caring and interested brother/uncle, but hey, it all added to a very satisfying happy ending. Oh, and the cover is beautiful.

I could see The Cactus as a mini-series or a one off drama, and would be interested to know whether there’s anything in the pipeline?

Thank you for a very entertaining and absorbing read.

I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed The Cactus – thank you! I’ve been told that there are conversations taking place with television people, but I’ve also been told that there’s often a lot of smoke without fire, so nothing at all may come of them. I’d love to see Susan Green on the screen. An American blogger asked me to cast a (so far, entirely imaginary) film version of The Cactus, and I thoroughly enjoyed thinking about who would play each of the characters. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I came up with a British and US version. For the British film I cast Maxine Peake as Susan, mainly because I love her and think she could play absolutely anyone.

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:32:55

gillyknits

I really loved this book and couldn’t put it down . The well drawn characters carry you through the ups and downs of Susan Green’s life. She has always lived her life with complete control over every aspect. Her job involves facts and figures and she’s not averse to telling others how to do their jobs. She tends to base her assumptions about people on their appearance and is quite dismissive of people who look like they aren’t as educated as her.
When she becomes pregnant she finds that she can’t control things any more. Revelations about her past cause her to re assess the foundations upon which she has lived her whole life.
Pregnancy makes her accept friendships that she would previously reject. . Her upstairs neighbour becomes a helpful friend and Rob the landscaper becomes more than just a friend!
I like the title as it not only covers the fact that Susan grows cactus but also her very prickly personality developed to keep everyone at arms length.
A really excellent debut novel and I’m really looking forward to more from Sarah Haywood.
I’d be interested to know where Sarah got the idea for making her central character so hard to like at first?

Thank you so much. I’m a big fan of character-driven novels, with strong, often first person, central voices. I’ve found that female protagonists are much more likely than male protagonists to be nice, kind and sympathetic from the outset, although I’m pleased to see that that’s changing. ‘You have to get to know her’ is a phrase we’ve probably all used about a friend who hasn’t quite mastered the usual social skills. I wanted to write about a woman to whom the reader would slowly warm, and for whom they would begin to root, over the course of the novel, as she reveals more about herself and her past. Having said that, I didn’t know quite how prickly Susan would be until I started writing her. She very quickly became her own person.

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:32:23

Mapleleaf

Well, I've got to the end of this book and thoroughly enjoyed it, so thank you once again, GN, for another excellent read.
I loved the way the characters evolved as the story progressed, especially Susan, and I think that Sarah has demonstrated a good grasp of human nature, frailties and relationships in this book.
I look forward to future novels, and would like to ask Sarah if she has any in the pipeline already?

Many thanks for your kind words. I’m working on my second novel at the moment. It’s lovely to read what you say regarding human nature, frailties and relationships, because those are the things that really interest me. Even the most confident-seeming person has vulnerabilities, and it’s those vulnerabilities that reveal our humanity. The main character in my current novel is very different from Susan, but she, too, has lessons to learn about herself and her relationships.

Sarah Haywood Tue 18-Sep-18 10:31:36

Purpledaffodil

Yet another GN excellent read. Susan’s voice is so distinctive and the reasons for her spikiness become apparent through the narrative, making her a sympathetic character despite this. The author has a gift for producing well rounded characters. Even the awful brother and aunt aren’t all bad!
Love the way that Sarah Haywood’s life experiences as lawyer, Brummie and mother are used to bring this well written story to,life. Would like to ask if there is any chance of a sequel? I was sorry to finish this book.

That’s so good to hear; thank you! When writing, I enjoy mixing up fiction and fact, using not only some of my more significant life experiences, such as my legal career and childhood in Birmingham, but also tiny details (for example, Susan’s mum’s car is my own VW Polo). On the subject of a sequel, I would never say never. By the time I finished writing The Cactus, I thought of Susan as a friend – albeit a very awkward and infuriating one. It was hard saying goodbye, and I do miss her. The book finishes as Susan is in the process of opening up her life, and I’d love to explore the impact of motherhood and strong interpersonal relationships in the longer term. At the moment, though, I’m trying to nudge Susan to one side.

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 08:56:24

I thought autistic too but she changed towards the end.

aspella Thu 13-Sep-18 23:48:33

Sorry I'm late with my review, I put the book down and forgot about it after getting about half way. The book tackles important topics concerning the fall out between family members when it comes to wills and how things that happen during childhood can affect us for life. There were sections of the book that made me chuckle and think this would make an excellent TV series but on the whole I found it bleak, tedious and predictable. As I continued to read the book I just kept thinking is the character Susan on the autistic spectrum

JanetSully1 Wed 12-Sep-18 18:18:15

Amazing book! Changed my life completely... the story is wonderful!

shirleyb1 Wed 12-Sep-18 16:58:58

I was delighted to receive my copy of the Cactus, so thank you for sending it. What an amusing and well written book. The storyline was well constructed, beautifully written and all very plausible. The characters took me through a whole gamut of emotions which I found interesting; an easy read with depth and understanding of human nature. I also found the Mom thing a bit of an irritation I must say, but what a thoroughly enjoyable read, I look forward to more from Sarah Haywood.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 12-Sep-18 14:56:05

GrannyBear

Another Gransnetter and I have become ‘virtual friends’ through the Gransnet Book Club. We exchange books on a regular basis, depending on who has been successful in the monthly draw. So although I didn’t receive my own copy of ‘The Cactus’, I hope it is ok to submit a review!

I really enjoyed ‘The Cactus’. From the start it was believable, entertaining and very, very readable.

The themes of the book which included sibling rivalry and tensions within families; feelings of loss of control and independence; and the emergence of new friendships were all realistically portrayed.

While Susan initially was not a very likeable character, I certainly warmed to her as the book progressed. I admired her staunch independence and the fact that she did not suffer fools gladly. I was quite intrigued by how she gradually changed as her body and her life changed in ways over which she had no control.

Frankly, I was not so keen on either Edward or Rob, and as for Aunt Sylvia and the dreadful twins … what can I say?! However, I really grew to like Kate. Although starting out viewing her as a brash and unwelcome guest, I feel Susan grew initially to accept her, then to like her and eventually to become indebted to her and reliant on her.

‘The Cactus’ was very amusing at times. In particular I enjoyed the black humour of Susan’s reactions to her mother’s funeral arrangements and I laughed out loud at Susan’s experiences as an unwilling babysitter when Kate has to rush one of her children to hospital.

Overall this was a really good read.

I would be interested to know where Sarah Haywood got the inspiration for her characters and her storylines. Did her own experiences help her portray such accurate insights into human nature? And, like many other Gransnetters, I’d love to know if there are any plans for a sequel.

Yes indeed - we are always delighted to received thoughts and questions from those who have read the book anyway

GrannyBear Mon 10-Sep-18 23:07:27

Another Gransnetter and I have become ‘virtual friends’ through the Gransnet Book Club. We exchange books on a regular basis, depending on who has been successful in the monthly draw. So although I didn’t receive my own copy of ‘The Cactus’, I hope it is ok to submit a review!

I really enjoyed ‘The Cactus’. From the start it was believable, entertaining and very, very readable.

The themes of the book which included sibling rivalry and tensions within families; feelings of loss of control and independence; and the emergence of new friendships were all realistically portrayed.

While Susan initially was not a very likeable character, I certainly warmed to her as the book progressed. I admired her staunch independence and the fact that she did not suffer fools gladly. I was quite intrigued by how she gradually changed as her body and her life changed in ways over which she had no control.

Frankly, I was not so keen on either Edward or Rob, and as for Aunt Sylvia and the dreadful twins … what can I say?! However, I really grew to like Kate. Although starting out viewing her as a brash and unwelcome guest, I feel Susan grew initially to accept her, then to like her and eventually to become indebted to her and reliant on her.

‘The Cactus’ was very amusing at times. In particular I enjoyed the black humour of Susan’s reactions to her mother’s funeral arrangements and I laughed out loud at Susan’s experiences as an unwilling babysitter when Kate has to rush one of her children to hospital.

Overall this was a really good read.

I would be interested to know where Sarah Haywood got the inspiration for her characters and her storylines. Did her own experiences help her portray such accurate insights into human nature? And, like many other Gransnetters, I’d love to know if there are any plans for a sequel.

gillybob Mon 10-Sep-18 14:15:55

I've just finished this book and have to say it was one of the best books I have read in ages. I was so happy with the final outcome.

One question to Sarah though :

Ed was a pretty awful character throughout the book and as a reader I was not convinced he didn't have something to do with the mothers will, however I wonder what made you decide to "turn him around" into being someone quite reasonable, considering how appallingly he had behaved throughout?

I would love to read a sequel perhaps with Susan showing her amateur legal skills fighting for those who have been wronged. I would also love to read more about her as a mother.

philatel Sun 09-Sep-18 23:13:01

Really enjoyed this book. Believable characters and storyline - easy to read and follow - will keep a lookout for Sarah's next book.

Flutterly Thu 06-Sep-18 18:00:18

Loved the cover it made reading it a bit more special. I was hooked from the very first page and was left looking forward to a sequel or future novels. I would also like to know if Sarah has any other books in the pipeline.
My daughter visited and saw the book, she read the first chapter and thought it was great, the book has now been passed to her for further enjoyment.

middleagespread Thu 06-Sep-18 12:03:46

A slow methodical beginning to this book introduced me to the nature of the woman, and I didn’t like her very much. However, I was intrigued enough to persevere and as the story unfolded I got sucked into the truly believable storylines which hooked me in. Susan’s life is exposed and turned on its head, and once I got inside her head I appreciated the real person inside. Her backstory gives you an insight into parenting and her relationships and why she feels and acts the way she does. Her approach to motherhood had me laughing, a real tonic in such a moving story. A good read.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Sep-18 16:27:27

Because of holidays etc I will wait another few days before sending the questions over to Sarah, so a reminder to our other winners to leave their thoughts and questions within this period

gillybob Tue 04-Sep-18 15:53:45

Thank you so much for this book GN. I’m just over half way through this book and absolutely loving it . I feel like I know Susan ( Suze), her brother Ed, her auntie Sylvia and the dreadful cousins personally . Brilliant writing, I can’t wait to see what happens. smile

annep Tue 04-Sep-18 15:38:26

I'm a bit late but I have M.E. so please excuse me. Firstly I would like to say I would have bought this book for the cover. It is the most attractive book cover I have seen for a long time.
I loved the humorous way Susan writes about herself, although she doesn't realise it.
The book got my attention from the first page, which I feel is important. The story moved quickly, was interesting easy to follow, no padding. The characters were well portrayed and believable. I didn't like Kate or Rob at first but changed my mind as they developed.
Most importantly I really enjoyed reading it and picking it up to continue and towards the last bit could not put it down. I often have to read through the night to finish a book and this was one of those!
Look forward to the next book by this author.
Thank you Gransnet.

Pittcity Tue 04-Sep-18 15:22:25

I have just finished The Cactus and enjoyed it because of the well written characters but felt that I knew what was coming next as Susan was thwarted at every turn.
I would like to know if Sarah keeps cacti or are they simply used as a writing device?

Happiyogi Mon 27-Aug-18 12:42:50

Everywoman, not Everyone!