Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Is anyone able to recommend a book as good as this please?

(141 Posts)
Alima Fri 05-Oct-18 07:21:47

I have just finished “The Heart’s Invisible Furies” by John Boyne. One of those books you don’t want to end. Funny, sad, wonderful. Feel that Cyril Avery is an old friend. Now feeling bereft and cannot find anything I want to read. Help!

Sara65 Mon 22-Apr-19 11:51:56

My favourite book of all time is
The Shipping News-Annie Proulx
Agree with a lot of posts, absolutely anything by Patrick Gale, Susan Hill, Pat Barker
Also like the Americans
John Updike, Philip Roth, Anne Tyler
Picked up a few for my wish list from you all, thanks

tinaf1 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:12:05

Mr Doubler begins Again was bought for me as a present really enjoyed it

Marilla Mon 22-Apr-19 22:11:10

Another vote for A Place Called Winter by Patrick Gale.

Elrel Sun 18-Aug-19 17:40:52

GrandyC and Jane10. You might like to check out BookCrossing.com. All over the world people are registering books online then releasing them to travel on. Some books you’ll never hear from again but others continue to pop up in interesting places. There are also BookCrossing drop offs in many places where you can leave or find books and some areas have regular meetings to swap books. It’s fun and friendly.
I released a copy of John Grisham’s Skipping Christmas in the UK and was delighted over a year later to get a PM from the person who’d found it in a backpackers’ hostel in the middle of Australia. I released a board book locally and a delighted 3 year old found it after her first day at nursery, some months later it was released in a supermarket.

Poppyred Sat 31-Aug-19 09:34:40

I’m inbetween books at the moment. Can anyone recommend a good author? I love Val McDermit, Peter James - crime novels - nothing too heavy... also like Cathy Kelly type books - a good family saga..

Thanks in advance ....

Poppyred Mon 02-Sep-19 01:18:22

Anyone??

clementine Sun 08-Sep-19 21:26:37

Jane Casey is worth checking out as is Cari Hunter. I love Claire Macintosh too.

Have you tried Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling? Her Comoran Strike books are brilliant.

annodomini Sun 08-Sep-19 22:38:26

I've been re-reading Sweet Caress by William Boyd and now feel I need to re-read all his other books. I think he's one of the best British novelists who have never been nominated for the Booker. He can really write a story, unlike some highly lauded writers whose plots and characters attract critical admiration but are incomprehensible to the average reader.

pinkquartz Sun 08-Sep-19 23:28:20

A book I enjoyed recently was "Should you Ask Me" by Marianne Kavanagh.
It is both light and accessible and has meaning and depth.An elderly lady goes to the police station in 1940 and says that she knows who are the dead bodies recently found are.
The story moves between her account and the policeman writing it down.
I loved it and it wasn't like anything else I have read lately.

Amagran Sun 08-Sep-19 23:47:56

Some great recommendations here - thank you everyone.

It is nice to see so many recommendations for Anthony Doerr's All the Light We Cannot See - it is a very moving, beautifully written and crafted story.

I have just finished The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker. It is a beautifully written retelling of The Iliad from the point of view of the Trojan women captured and enslaved by the Greeks. It is moving and thought-provoking as well as being a jolly good read. Maybe not for the very squeamish - it pulls no punches!

sodapop Mon 09-Sep-19 08:24:38

Have you tried the Simon Serailler series ( tongue twister) by Susan Hill Poppyred
An excellent story combining police procedural with a family story.

Hymnbook Mon 09-Sep-19 10:55:12

Anna Jacobs. Monica McInerney. I use my local library if you have a library use it or lose it. I also buy books occasionally from the works. Then they are donated to the library.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 19-Sep-19 09:27:20

Another vote for A Pace Called Winter. Loved it and also Invisible Furies. Similar in taste.

TerriBull Thu 19-Sep-19 10:15:20

I don't think books that have that stay with you quality that "Invisible Furies" had, well certainly for me, come along that often, I've read some good books this year, but nothing that did it for me quite like that one did which I read last year. Another book that I loved in that way which I read a couple of years ago would be "The Goldfinch", the film of it is out any time soon, hope it doesn't disappoint, looking forward to seeing it though.

TerriBull Thu 19-Sep-19 10:17:21

annodomini - Just seen your post re. William Boyd, an author I've only just discovered, really loved "Ordinary Thunderstorms" would highly recommend it, intend to read more of his stuff.